Traffic

mitzi

I've lived here for 30 plus years and have never worked in Lexington Park. All I hear are the horror stories of the backed up traffic (and read it on here). Roughly about how long am I going to be sitting in traffic (on a good day) to get almost to Gate 1. I'm trying to figure out how much time to allow and debating whether to go down 235 or up Great Mills Road and turn left. Help!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've lived here for 30 plus years and have never worked in Lexington Park. All I hear are the horror stories of the backed up traffic (and read it on here). Roughly about how long am I going to be sitting in traffic (on a good day) to get almost to Gate 1. I'm trying to figure out how much time to allow and debating whether to go down 235 or up Great Mills Road and turn left. Help!

What day of the week and about what time?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
It really isn't that bad, lights seemed to be timed to allow traffic to flow towards base. NOW getting thru the gates sux, if you don't have to go on base your fine.

glhs837

Power with Control
Big thing is about where are you coming from, where on base are you going, and what sort of arrival time are you locked into?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Big thing is about where are you coming from, where on base are you going, and what sort of arrival time are you locked into?

The way I read the OP they aren't going on base just near gate 1. So no delay at the gate or on base.

PeoplesElbow

Depends on the time of day. GMR and 235 intersection is a cluster**** between 06:30-08:00 and north from gate 2 to the bridge sucks after 16:00 till about 18:00. Othat than that it isnt bad at all.

GMR is going to be the worst as the Gate 2 backup sometimes clogs it up.

Oh yea Rte 5 and GMR intersection is the worst, so glad I don't have to go through there.

dgates80

Land of the lost
In context to major city urban traffic, our "bad traffic" would be a GREAT traffic day... in Seattle, LA, New York, Houston, etc. at its worst I figure it adds 20 minutes to the trip from the base to Calvert.

mitzi

In context to major city urban traffic, our "bad traffic" would be a GREAT traffic day... in Seattle, LA, New York, Houston, etc. at its worst I figure it adds 20 minutes to the trip from the base to Calvert.

I commuted to DC for years. I was used to leaving "early" to still end up late to work.

glhs837

Power with Control
Great Mills route is a non starter, at that time trying to get through there is a nightmare. 235 a much better bet.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Stay right on 235 and you shouldn't have a problem. Also depends on the time. Before say 7:45 traffic may be heavier Regardless of speed, I think you are better off gong south on 235 than trying to make a left at 235 off Great Mills Rd. GMR often backs up because of the light - plus you would then have to make a U turn

glhs837

Power with Control
But getting from 5 south onto GMR is brutal that time of day. There's no point like that on 235 I dont think.

Radiant1

Soul Probe

And 30 years ago, no one would have thought we would have to discuss traffic and the best route to get somewhere.

I think the time it would take you to go Chancellor's to Pegg and across you'd already be at your destination if you just stayed on 235.

bilbur

It hasn't been bad lately due to the base using multiple guards per line to check badges. I live in WW and it takes me less then 15 minutes to get from my condo through the gate. If you need to get to one of the businesses on the right side of the road going south it is even less and traffic flows even better. All bets are off if there is an accident though. Also, getting home in the afternoon takes 20 to 30 minutes, traffic is usually much heavier for some reason.