Dear Enterprise, help with "Our Opinion" section

glhs837

Power with Control
From Miriam Webster: opinion - a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing

An opinion piece is a place for the newspaper editor to actually tells us what they think about a subject and why, not just regurgitate both side of an issue then say " So is the issue dead?" Come'on, actually think and state an opinion.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The "media" here is dead. The Emptyprise prints pretty much what is sent in. The "radio stations" read what is in the paper.
Speaking of radio stations, this is not a dig at the on air talent, I do enjoy you all. But could the owner spring for something more than a 10 watt transmitter.
I swear, 102.9, 98.3 and 1690 get knocked off the air by everything from the power lines to some community college station on the Eastern Shore.
There are times during the day (and night) I flip over to 1690 to hear nothing but static - I guess it was past curfew for the junior high kid that flips switches or something.

BTW - there was a story I read from Wednesday's paper that looked to be quoting a public official. I say looked like because it ended with, "she said", but there were no quotation marks around what proceeded. If it was not a direct quote, your writer and editor need a grammar checker. If it was, this public official should go back to elementary school. Shameful.

Last edited:

officeguy

The "media" here is dead. The Emptyprise prints pretty much what is sent in. The "radio stations" read what is in the paper.

We have about 250k people in southern Maryland. If you look at the list of the media markets in the US, that would put us right around the 110th rank. If SoMD was somewhere in the Midwest, we would have 3 different local network stations and a daily paper. But as we are the red-headed stepchild of the DC market, we have no media coverage at all. No newspaper to speak of and the only time the DC and NoVA TV stations will cover SoMD is if someone gets murdered in a unusual way.

BlueOx77

Speaking of radio stations, this is not a dig at the on air talent, I do enjoy you all. But could the owner spring for something more than a 10 watt transmitter.
I swear, 102.9, 98.3 and 1690 get knocked off the air by everything from the power lines to some community college station on the Eastern Shore.
There are times during the day (and night) I flip over to 1690 to hear nothing but static - I guess it was past curfew for the junior high kid that flips switches or something.

BTW - there was a story I read from Wednesday's paper that looked to be quoting a public official. I say looked like because it ended with, "she said", but there were no quotation marks around what proceeded. If it was not a direct quote, your writer and editor need a grammar checker. If it was, this public official should go back to elementary school. Shameful.

I'm sure we all look forward to reading your newspaper when it comes out.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm sure we all look forward to reading your newspaper when it comes out.

Oh, come'on. Asking a newspaper to actually act like one isnt too big a reach I don't think. Look a bit beyond the press releases and handouts.

PeoplesElbow

We have about 250k people in southern Maryland. If you look at the list of the media markets in the US, that would put us right around the 110th rank. If SoMD was somewhere in the Midwest, we would have 3 different local network stations and a daily paper. But as we are the red-headed stepchild of the DC market, we have no media coverage at all. No newspaper to speak of and the only time the DC and NoVA TV stations will cover SoMD is if someone gets murdered in a unusual way.

That is so true, the town I come from has about 8,000 people and has its own (weekly) paper, the county it is in has 69,000 people three papers (two are daily), a Fox, ABC and CBS affiliate station as well as a public access station.

officeguy

That is so true, the town I come from has about 8,000 people and has its own (weekly) paper, the county it is in has 69,000 people three papers (two are daily), a Fox, ABC and CBS affiliate station as well as a public access station.

Now many of those small-market stations don't really produce much beyond a morning and evening newscast. The rest of the time its just the network feed. Still, that newscast is where you hear about the ritical items like cats in trees and local drug dealer arrests ;-)

PeoplesElbow

Now many of those small-market stations don't really produce much beyond a morning and evening newscast. The rest of the time its just the network feed. Still, that newscast is where you hear about the ritical items like cats in trees and local drug dealer arrests ;-)

Yep local news, local sports (high school and college), and even some investigative reporting.