Thread: Our ospreys showed up yesterday

Our ospreys showed up yesterday

...and they are out there raising quite a ruckus too. Bird 1 and bird 2....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	osprey 2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	112154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	osprey 1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	112155
    Last edited by Gilligan; 03-15-2016 at 02:37 PM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

The 2 showed up behind my house yesterday too.

Along with a Blue Heron hanging out.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    The 2 showed up behind my house yesterday too.

Along with a Blue Heron hanging out.
    Those two hate each other, as you know...it's a hoot to watch the ospreys harass a Blue Heron. Happens here a lot too.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Those two hate each other, as you know...it's a hoot to watch the ospreys harass a Blue Heron. Happens here a lot too.
    Between the peepers, leopard frogs, ospreys, geese, and heron, it's almost deafening 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Between the peepers, leopard frogs, ospreys, geese, and heron, it's almost deafening 'round here.
    That's one thing we don't have on the island...very many frogs. Now just up the road a piece...

And the geeese..good grief. Been a flock varying between about a half dozen to more than 40 camped out in our cove for the last several weeks. Looking out my office window now, I only count 8... Noisy buggers. They are just to the left of the dock in my pic...barely out of frame.

We had a single osprey on our creek on Feb 26. I thought to myself that the osprey must be young and on his own being here so early. We have had a pair building a nest since friday.
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

That's one thing we don't have on the island...very many frogs. Now just up the road a piece...

And the geeese..good grief. Been a flock varying between about a half dozen to more than 40 camped out in our cove for the last several weeks. Looking out my office window now, I only count 8... Noisy buggers. They are just to the left of the dock in my pic...barely out of frame.
    Luckily I only have a pair roosting on the lake, so it's not too bad.

It's strange. They live on the lake Spring/Summer/Fall, then roll out. When the migrators come by the thousands, they fly right over the lake and my house to go to a smaller pond to congregate.

Attachment 112156

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    We had a single osprey on our creek on Feb 26. I thought to myself that the osprey must be young and on his own being here so early. We have had a pair building a nest since friday.
    Wow..that IS really early. The pair that nests here usually arrives late/last compared to most others on the island. This is the first year in a long time that they've been "on time" and arrived on or before St. Patty's Day..

Wow..that IS really early. The pair that nests here usually arrives late/last compared to most others on the island. This is the first year in a long time that they've been "on time" and arrived on or before St. Patty's Day..
    Global warming? If something isn't done soon we will all be under water that will somehow freeze over creating a new ice age which will make my swim trunks and sun glasses COMPLETLY USELESS.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.