Sen. Waugh: Senate Committee Release FY2017 Budget Summary

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
This just in from Senator Steve Waugh:

Senator Steve Waugh (R-St. Mary's County) reported today that the Senate Budget and Taxation Committee has released the summary report on the FY2017 budget. The budget, which was released by Governor Larry Hogan in January, remains lean on spending while resisting the need to raise new taxes to offset costs. Following in the tradition of the General Assembly, the State Senate had the first look at the budget this year which sets record K-12 spending.

Senator Waugh stated, "I am very pleased to see the structural deficit is closed, top priorities are fully funded and there are no new taxes. Maryland's economy is growing and recovering from bad policy decisions made by the previous administration. The Senate Budget and Taxation Committee has retained a Rainy Day Fund balance that will keep the budget balanced through 2020. We have record level K-12 spending, increased State aid for our local police, and funding for Southern Maryland's trauma center in Prince George's County's new hospital. Future transportation funding, however, remains a contentious issue. Finally, I am pleased to share that St. Mary's County will receive an increase of nearly $2 million in State Aid.

The Senate has done incredible work and I hope my colleagues in the House will work hard to follow the standard that has been set."

The budget will be debated with the full Senate this week before crossing over into the House for consideration.

One doc is attached, a second is here on Scribd: https://www.scribd.com/doc/304896507/2016-Budget-and-Taxation-Budget-Summary

Attachments

• St. Mary's State aid.pdf
    215.4 KB · Views: 127