Salaries in PAX.

swm462

What can one expect salary wise, in PAX working for a government contractor if they have an Associates degree? I've seen a federal pay scale, but I know the PAX area is a bit higher. I need to know for negotiating purposes. Thanks!

What can one expect salary wise, in PAX working for a government contractor if they have an Associates degree? I've seen a federal pay scale, but I know the PAX area is a bit higher. I need to know for negotiating purposes. Thanks!

It completely depends on the position and the billing rate.

This is too general of a question... Like Kwillia said, it depends on the position, billing rate, and years of experience. What type of position are you looking for? Administrative? Jr. Program Analyst? Program Analyst? Logistician? Engineering tech? Engineer? BFM? I could go on all day... :coffee:

MR47930

Your greatest negotiation leverage is going to be your past experience, an associates degree wont make you stand out from the crowd (no offense). As stated earlier the salary range could vary greatly depending on the type of position you are looking for. If you have experience and good past references you should be able to get a ballpark idea of what you are worth to the employer.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
$20,000 - $160,000
It seems that some of you don't make anything, while others are laughing to the bank. Govt pay scale under Obama: 100K -215K : ) Starting; with a GED received at age 27 and a certificate of achievement from a community outreach organization while on a work release program.

BernieP

Resident PIA
$20,000 - $160,000

that top end has been driven down. Most competencies (Government) are "flattening" the organization. GS-14 or equivalent is now Division Director.
For contractors there is trip wire and most of the support contracts are being competed on cost. Incumbents are being asked to take a cut in pay.
I've seen anywhere from 3% to 50% reduction in salary. Along with that is a cut in benefits. PTO and holidays are being reduced for CSS as well.
The good news for the government (and the companies making these low bids) is that they will find people who will be happy to take the jobs. Unfortunately the people they hire don't work out.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...It seems that some of you don't make anything, while others are laughing to the bank. Govt pay scale under Obama: 100K -215K : ) Starting; with a GED received at age 27 and a certificate of achievement from a community outreach organization while on a work release program.

You should do your research, Obama's tax return indicated an income last year in excess of $1.2M. The highest ever reported by a POTUS.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...It seems that some of you don't make anything, while others are laughing to the bank. Govt pay scale under Obama: 100K -215K : ) Starting; with a GED received at age 27 and a certificate of achievement from a community outreach organization while on a work release program.

Top end GS-13 is about 90K plus locality pay of 25%. That is about the highest grade as a government employee you are likely to see in the current workforce reduction.
Yes, the government is trying to reduce it's workforce. All hiring and promotions are frozen until NAVAIR as a whole meets it's goals. While some competencies are short staffed, and below budgeted high grade positions, NAVAIR as a whole is over on both counts.
I've seen a lot of good CSS leave in the last couple of years because of the new - low bid - CSS contracts. People who wanted to stay in the area had to struggle with the cut or find work they could commute to - tough if you are in the lower end of St. Mary's and Calvert.

glhs837

Power with Control
that top end has been driven down. Most competencies (Government) are "flattening" the organization. GS-14 or equivalent is now Division Director.
For contractors there is trip wire and most of the support contracts are being competed on cost. Incumbents are being asked to take a cut in pay.
I've seen anywhere from 3% to 50% reduction in salary. Along with that is a cut in benefits. PTO and holidays are being reduced for CSS as well.
The good news for the government (and the companies making these low bids) is that they will find people who will be happy to take the jobs. Unfortunately the people they hire don't work out.

I hear tell that metrics from a few of those "lowest bidder" CSS contracts are coming out, and it's not looking good. Enough so that the pressure from above to follow that philosophy has slacked off a bit. But I'm far, far outside the circles where that sort of word is definitive, it could be 180 out from reality and the bloodletting will continue.

swm462

salaries

This is too general of a question... Like Kwillia said, it depends on the position, billing rate, and years of experience. What type of position are you looking for? Administrative? Jr. Program Analyst? Program Analyst? Logistician? Engineering tech? Engineer? BFM? I could go on all day... :coffee:

This is for a web development position. Designing and building web applications. With about 2 years experience.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I hear tell that metrics from a few of those "lowest bidder" CSS contracts are coming out, and it's not looking good. Enough so that the pressure from above to follow that philosophy has slacked off a bit. But I'm far, far outside the circles where that sort of word is definitive, it could be 180 out from reality and the bloodletting will continue.

Unfortunately looking at the big picture it's not going to get better. Same old same old, we are simply going to repeat the mistakes of the past.
The brass has convinced congress that the military leadership knows better than the civilian acquisition corp. Therefore they want to streamline the process and give them more say.
In the past this has translated into a very cozy relationship between flag officers and certain corporations. It's also translated in billions of wasted dollars for science projects that only succeed in spending funds while producing nothing.
It is the "Military Industrial Complex" that Eisenhower warned against. Senior military officials will retire straight to the corporate boardroom and will then reach back to their former comrades in arms for "assistance".
The same story will be sung, "XYX company is patriotic, they will take good care of us".
Right, and if you believe that's anywhere near true, the tooth fairy would like to talk to you about a bridge in the Sahara they have for sale.

FED_UP

Indeed salary calculation says 86000 for web development at Pax. That must be with a BS degree and many years experience, or is that salary calculation thing BS. I have guys working around me with no degree and have 10-20 years experience all salaries in the 70s. Like others said it depends on the position mainly I guess.

Last edited:

bilbur

Indeed salary calculation says 86000 for web development at Pax. That must be with a BS degree and many years experience, or is that salary calculation thing BS. I have guys working around me with no degree and have 10-20 years experience all salaries in the 70s. Like others said it depends on the position mainly I guess.

From what I have seen most salaries in that range have a BS unless they have 10 years of experience or some of the more sought after certifications. About 10 years ago I had 7 years of experience and an associates in IT. I was pulling in between $45000 and $55000. I don't know if salaries have gotten better or worse in 10 years, in that time I got my BS, switched companies, and got 2 certifications so I am making more than that now. As an FYI, certifications seem to be worth more to contractors these days and if you are doing network engineer work you cant even be an admin on a government network without at least a security +. On the flip side you need a BS and certifications to do IT work as a federal government employee. Shop around, a lot of IT positions open right now and some contractors pay better than others.

FED_UP

I started on base at in 2004 at 45k, my next job 3 and 1/2 years later was 69k, total different job. The first job was office work the second job was in the field of aircraft maintenance in a specialized area. During the interview for the second job she says " why are you asking for 15K more". I said I did my homework this time.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Incumbents are being asked to take a cut in pay. I've seen anywhere from 3% to 50% reduction in salary. Along with that is a cut in benefits. PTO and holidays are being reduced for CSS as well.

You get what you pay for (mostly). Personally, I think it is unwise to force out the highly qualified and experienced workforce to bring in low cost workers with little to no experience. You will just add more cost to the project in the long run. If I were ever asked to take a substantial cut in pay and benefits, I'd tell my company and the gov't competency I supported to suck it, and I would suck it up and do the commute to DC. But enough about that...

I would suggest that if you are fairly new to the workforce, even with a degree, you should keep your salary requirements low. Get in the door and prove your value first. Once you build up a good reputation (strong work ethic, not whiner or an ####### etc..) you'll be able to request, and most likely get a better salary. JMHO :shrug:

BernieP

Resident PIA
You get what you pay for (mostly). Personally, I think it is unwise to force out the highly qualified and experienced workforce to bring in low cost workers with little to no experience. You will just add more cost to the project in the long run. If I were ever asked to take a substantial cut in pay and benefits, I'd tell my company and the gov't competency I supported to suck it, and I would suck it up and do the commute to DC. But enough about that...

I would suggest that if you are fairly new to the workforce, even with a degree, you should keep your salary requirements low. Get in the door and prove your value first. Once you build up a good reputation (strong work ethic, not whiner or an ####### etc..) you'll be able to request, and most likely get a better salary. JMHO :shrug:

What we think doesn't matter. Honestly, I believe the people making these decisions are counting on failure. That way the can subvert the process and go back to the good old days of having the Admiral or General direct corporation to go build them something. The only over sight would be if the vendor could give a demonstration.

Mostly what I see and hear are "words of praise". A few get paid, but most people are rewarded with words of praise. Contractors are more and more being forced to hold the line on salary. Sure, if you come in on the bottom, you have the opportunity to work you way up. But that up side is significantly less than it was a few years ago. Same thing holds true for the government. The only saving grace for the government workers is relative job security and while pay may get frozen, it's unlikely to get cut and benefits won't be drastically cut. Young people with children, are being offered 5 vacation days and 2 sick days with 8 or 9 holidays. The match on the 401K is less than it use to be and the employee portion of health insurance is larger.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Contractors are more and more being forced to hold the line on salary. .

I was stunned to receive the "these are the rates we have to bid to win..please try to meet them" notice from the prime on a recompete we're in the middle of. Stunned. Silly low numbers with a silly low fee on top.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Top end GS-13 is about 90K plus locality pay of 25%. That is about the highest grade as a government employee you are likely to see in the current workforce reduction.
Yes, the government is trying to reduce it's workforce. All hiring and promotions are frozen until NAVAIR as a whole meets it's goals. While some competencies are short staffed, and below budgeted high grade positions, NAVAIR as a whole is over on both counts.
I've seen a lot of good CSS leave in the last couple of years because of the new - low bid - CSS contracts. People who wanted to stay in the area had to struggle with the cut or find work they could commute to - tough if you are in the lower end of St. Mary's and Calvert.
Was being silly. I should have written it out clearer, to wit: Starting pay for entry level government employee under the Obama administration, $100,000, with the minimum qualification of a GED received at age 27 and a certificate of achievement from a community outreach organization while on a work release program. There, that's better. :)