Camp Chow

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We didn't go overboard this weekend on food prep. The lousy weather took care of that. Thursday we did some buffalo turds, burgers & Nick's sausage. The turds were cooked in a toaster oven, while the meats were cooked on the Cobb grill. Still getting use to the Cobb grill. 8 brikquets isn't quite enough heat. The previous effort had us using too much heat.

Here's some before & after pictures.

jal1.jpg

jal2.jpg

It's been cold & rainy the last few days. Looking forward to better weather so we can do more outside living. We did have an afternoon visit from Mr. Misfit. Fishing & boxing were the topics of conversation. Good thing I'm fluent in both subjects.

Anyone else that finds themselves over on the rec center give us a holler. Looking forward to sitting outside, watching the sun go down, conversing and enjoying good food & drink.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
It's looking like crappy weather most of this weekend. :frown:

If it's warm I'll still fish Saturday morning but I think we should be able to find solace at the Ruddy Duck. :yay:

Agee

you know she only loves you for your culinary panache...

food looks great!

Monello

PREMO Member
This week I was hankering for Cajun food. Often when we are out I'll order jambalaya or maybe gumbo if it's on the menu. Some places have then listed under the soup option of the menu.

I cheated and bought the roux in a jar. It was easier and would save me some time. I had all the spices except the gumbo file. So now I have a small container of that. I bought sausage, chicken thighs, shrimp, bell pepper, okra, onion, celery and canned chopped tomatoes. I did it in the instantpot. Clean up was easy. I diced the veggies and sauteed them. Then cooked the chicken and sausage together. Added in the roux then added water and bouillon. Stirred that until it was smooth then added the other cooked ingredients. Let it simmer for 30 minutes then added the raw shrimp. The shrimp pretty much cooked from the heat of the liquid. Served with rice, I've been eating on that for 3 days now. Just 1 more serving left.

I still have some roux left over in case I want to make it again. I'm pretty much gumboed out right now. But who knows maybe in a week or 2 I'll get cooking again. Next time I'll add more okra and keep everything else the same.

Monello

PREMO Member
Beef straoganoff

Today I went fishing. Despite getting about a 1,000 bites, I didn't catch 1 fish. I downsized my hooks to no avail. And while I was staring out the water I got hungry. And for some reason stroganoff came to mind.. So when I left, I went shopping and got what I needed. Beef, scallion, mushrooms, beef broth, flour, sour cream, egg noodles and of course ice cream.

Easy peasy. Cut the veggies, cut the beef, saute everything. Make a roux. Deglaze the pan. Add everything all together. Stir like crazy until it's nice an smooth. Boil some egg noodles. Add sour cream to the beef. Stir and enjoy.

All cooked outside. Dishes are done. Jose Cuervo was my sous chef. Setting my sights on Tillamook vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Almost there
DSCF9753.jpg

Dinner for the crew
DSCF9761.jpg

Where I fished today
DSCF9747.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The stroganoff looks vile and doesn't photograph well but it was DELICIOUS. I had two helpings. *burp*

Monello

PREMO Member
Did the sous-chef add any extras while the chef was distracted? :razz:

Is that an electric skillet?

I like to have a drinkie, as they say, when I cook. I've had a few really tasty margaritas lately, so I got some of that cuervo gold that Steely Dan recommended.

Yes, it's an electric skillet. I picked that over the instantpot because I wanted the greater heating surface. More room to saute and deglaze. Most of our kitchen, both indoor & outdoor, are electric with the exception of the grill which is propane.

nutz

I like to have a drinkie, as they say, when I cook. I've had a few really tasty margaritas lately, so I got some of that cuervo gold that Steely Dan recommended.

Yes, it's an electric skillet. I picked that over the instantpot because I wanted the greater heating surface. More room to saute and deglaze. Most of our kitchen, both indoor & outdoor, are electric with the exception of the grill which is propane.

I like Patron or Don Julio, to each their own.
1- 1 1/2 shot lime juice (~ 1/4 cup per)
1 or 2 shots tequila
~ 1 shot agave nectar (or simple syrup) to taste
Shaken over ice

If desired can add a neutral mixer for bigger glass, fresh fruit, salt rim, no salt, blend, etc.etc.etc.