Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Chow

Blog Entries

Camp Chow

We didn't go overboard this weekend on food prep. The lousy weather took care of that. Thursday we did some buffalo turds, burgers & Nick's sausage. The turds were cooked in a toaster oven, while the meats were cooked on the Cobb grill. Still getting use to the Cobb grill. 8 brikquets isn't quite enough heat. The previous effort had us using too much heat.

Here's some before & after pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jal1.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	112196

Name:	jal2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	112197

It's been cold & rainy the last few days. Looking forward to better weather so we can do more outside living. We did have an afternoon visit from Mr. Misfit. Fishing & boxing were the topics of conversation. Good thing I'm fluent in both subjects.

Anyone else that finds themselves over on the rec center give us a holler. Looking forward to sitting outside, watching the sun go down, conversing and enjoying good food & drink.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Need clarification and possibly a recipe for "buffalo turds!"

It's looking like crappy weather most of this weekend.

If it's warm I'll still fish Saturday morning but I think we should be able to find solace at the Ruddy Duck.
    “Lose with the effort of a champion” - Rich Franklin

"God will not have his work made manifest by cowards" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idiganthro View Post
    Need clarification and possibly a recipe for "buffalo turds!"
    Jalapeno peppers cut in half, filled with 2 cheeses, bacon wrapped then baked.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

you know she only loves you for your culinary panache...

food looks great!
    Earth: 30% Land, 70% Race Course... ___/) ____/)

"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none"... Benjamin Franklin

what no MRE's
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Blog Entries
    This week I was hankering for Cajun food. Often when we are out I'll order jambalaya or maybe gumbo if it's on the menu. Some places have then listed under the soup option of the menu.

I cheated and bought the roux in a jar. It was easier and would save me some time. I had all the spices except the gumbo file. So now I have a small container of that. I bought sausage, chicken thighs, shrimp, bell pepper, okra, onion, celery and canned chopped tomatoes. I did it in the instantpot. Clean up was easy. I diced the veggies and sauteed them. Then cooked the chicken and sausage together. Added in the roux then added water and bouillon. Stirred that until it was smooth then added the other cooked ingredients. Let it simmer for 30 minutes then added the raw shrimp. The shrimp pretty much cooked from the heat of the liquid. Served with rice, I've been eating on that for 3 days now. Just 1 more serving left.

I still have some roux left over in case I want to make it again. I'm pretty much gumboed out right now. But who knows maybe in a week or 2 I'll get cooking again. Next time I'll add more okra and keep everything else the same.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries

Beef straoganoff

Today I went fishing. Despite getting about a 1,000 bites, I didn't catch 1 fish. I downsized my hooks to no avail. And while I was staring out the water I got hungry. And for some reason stroganoff came to mind.. So when I left, I went shopping and got what I needed. Beef, scallion, mushrooms, beef broth, flour, sour cream, egg noodles and of course ice cream.

Easy peasy. Cut the veggies, cut the beef, saute everything. Make a roux. Deglaze the pan. Add everything all together. Stir like crazy until it's nice an smooth. Boil some egg noodles. Add sour cream to the beef. Stir and enjoy.

All cooked outside. Dishes are done. Jose Cuervo was my sous chef. Setting my sights on Tillamook vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Almost there

Name:	DSCF9753.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	126309

Dinner for the crew

Name:	DSCF9761.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	126310

Where I fished today

Name:	DSCF9747.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	126311
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries
    The stroganoff looks vile and doesn't photograph well but it was DELICIOUS. I had two helpings. *burp*
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    The stroganoff looks vile and doesn't photograph well but it was DELICIOUS. I had two helpings. *burp*
    Did the sous-chef add any extras while the chef was distracted?

Is that an electric skillet?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Members who have read this thread: 35