Getting a snake out of the dryer. Any suggestions.

Super_Steve

Holy cripes! There's a black rat snake in the laundry room and now it's inside the dryer. It's not in the air vent of the machine, it's in the machine. How do I get this sucker out?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Very Carefully

I'm not a snake person, my concept of snakes is that the only safe snake is a dead snake. So off the top of my head I can't even tell you if what you have is venomous.
But I bet it will bite none the less if it feels threatened. Hopefully someone with experience handling snakes will see this post and reply.
Other than hope, try calling animal control in the morning.
Next time, keep the doors closed.

Bonehead

Black snakes

They will bite repeatedly if cornered. Kind of like three strikes before you feel the first one......

A long welding glove or other heavy glove, reach in and yank him out.

Please don't kill it, they are great neighbors.

glhs837

Power with Control
They will bite repeatedly if cornered. Kind of like three strikes before you feel the first one......

A long welding glove or other heavy glove, reach in and yank him out.

Please don't kill it, they are great neighbors.

This quoted for truth. Talk about keeping vermin out of your house, probably better than my two cat shield. But if you do decide it must die, please, please, do not use a glue trap. Kill it quick and clean.

somdfunguy

not impressed
1118178-gopher.jpg

So says the dude who minces his snakes in his air-conditioning unit. :dead:

That wasn't my fault. The snake had a death wish.

And I was only kidding about cooking it. I agree that snakes are good vermin exterminators. They are welcome in my yard.

As far as getting it out of the dryer.... it was probably looking for a warm spot. Make a cage/box with a heat source and leave it near the dryer. He'll find it.

NTNG

Buy a new one from Lowes. They will haul off the old one, none the wiser...

Or burn the house down...

stew77

For some reason I brought a bag with rags in the house, and a day later a black snake crawled out of it. I of course tried not to panic and got my leather work gloves out and picked it up off the floor and took it back outside to my woods and let it go. It tried to bite thru the gloves numerous times, so I am glad I had them on. Needless to say, IF I had not seen this first I am thinking there might be a large hole in my floor from a shotgun shot!!! I was relatively calm, but belleve me the shot gun is available if I needed it.
My suggestion if the snake in just on the drum of dryer, open back or side put on gloves, and pick it up and take it outside? If you can't do this, use a rat glur trap to trap it and STILL use gloves to pick it up and get rid of it that way! Good Luck!

glhs837

Power with Control
For some reason I brought a bag with rags in the house, and a day later a black snake crawled out of it. I of course tried not to panic and got my leather work gloves out and picked it up off the floor and took it back outside to my woods and let it go. It tried to bite thru the gloves numerous times, so I am glad I had them on. Needless to say, IF I had not seen this first I am thinking there might be a large hole in my floor from a shotgun shot!!! I was relatively calm, but belleve me the shot gun is available if I needed it.
My suggestion if the snake in just on the drum of dryer, open back or side put on gloves, and pick it up and take it outside? If you can't do this, use a rat glur trap to trap it and STILL use gloves to pick it up and get rid of it that way! Good Luck!

Please no glue traps.

Super_Steve

Well, the St. Mary's Animal Control came this morning and couldn't find the snake. They were 90% sure it went back out the outside vent the way it came in. So I have wrap it around with rat wire. And did you know you are more likely do die from a black rat snake than a copperhead? And it's good to have black rat snakes around, they keep the copperheads away.