Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rib roast on sale $4.99/lb at Giant

Blog Entries
    Dixie, you can't cook it or you can't season it? Because lack of seasoning is many times the culprit when someone says they can't cook something.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I don't know what y'all do that I can't do to cook a rib roast but I tried one last week. I got about six good slices that tasted fine (although it was nothing to write home about) and the rest of it went to the stray cat. She ate it one morning and the next morning, took a piece out of the bowl, dropped it, and walked away.

Same thing with steak - I get beef tenderloin from time to time - can't cook it worth a damn. I usually end up slicing it and pan fry it. It ends up okay but not at all like I intended. Sirloin, skirt steak, T-bone, you name it, I can't cook it. Drives me crazy.
    Sounds like you're cooking it inside in an oven or on the stove top. Meats like this deserve to be cooked outside on a charcoal grill to a rare-medium rare. If you keep it on the rare side, it makes for excellent roast beef sandwiches or French dips a day or two later. Seasoning is important too. Using just salt/pepper isn't enough to bring out the flavor.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Sounds like you're cooking it inside in an oven or on the stove top. Meats like this deserve to be cooked outside on a charcoal grill to a rare-medium rare. If you keep it on the rare side, it makes for excellent roast beef sandwiches or French dips a day or two later. Seasoning is important too. Using just salt/pepper isn't enough to bring out the flavor.
    Well there you go - I no longer own a grill because everything I cooked on it ended up raw. I can take that in a hamburger (in fact prefer it) but chicken is just gross that way. All the recipe books, all the internet recipes swears up and down you can do it in the oven. Just turn it on and cook for an hour or so, then turn off the oven and don't open it for hours. Yeah. Right. I had to stick it in the microwave to make it look like it didn't just come off the cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Well there you go - I no longer own a grill because everything I cooked on it ended up raw. I can take that in a hamburger (in fact prefer it) but chicken is just gross that way. All the recipe books, all the internet recipes swears up and down you can do it in the oven. Just turn it on and cook for an hour or so, then turn off the oven and don't open it for hours. Yeah. Right. I had to stick it in the microwave to make it look like it didn't just come off the cow.
    Ah. You need a good meat thermometer. That will help. And never ever ever ever never ever cook meat in the microwave, even if it's just to warm it up. Ruins it completely.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

. Meats like this deserve to be cooked outside on a charcoal grill to a rare-medium rare. If you keep it on the rare side, it makes for excellent roast beef sandwiches or French dips a day or two later. Seasoning is important too. Using just salt/pepper isn't enough to bring out the flavor.
    Yup! I cook all roasts (except chuck and the like) on my smoker.

And all steaks on the grill.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 03-23-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    "Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams."

I grilled an organic rib eye on Friday. OMG... So good!
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Ah. You need a good meat thermometer. That will help. And never ever ever ever never ever cook meat in the microwave, even if it's just to warm it up. Ruins it completely.
    I actually have one but I can't get the timing right. Like when I did the rib roast - I forget what temperature they mentioned but it wasn't there yet on an instant read so I stuck it back in. Not five minutes later I took it out and it was like ten degrees more than it should have been. Then it rested and got higher but when I cut it, it was sickening raw inside.

I've finally given up. I'll never master rib roast but I really wish I could do the beef tenderloin steaks/filet mignon whatever they are. They're not that badly priced and an occasional nice break from the 9,000 ways I know how to cook chicken and ground beef.

Blog Entries
    You can pan fry steaks and they turn out great. Finishing very thick steaks in the oven is a little tricky, but an inch-thick steak will fry up nicely, then you can make a simple pan sauce out of the leavings.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Yup! I cook all roasts (except chuck and the like) on my smoker.
    Why don't you do chuck roasts in the smoker?
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Why don't you do chuck roasts in the smoker?
    Because the SO does such an amazing job with them in her slow cooker.

LOL. I'm headed to the freezer to take out a sirloin tip right now and then get some wood chips a soakin'. All this talk has made me hongry for one.
    "Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.