Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Rib roast on sale $4.99/lb at Giant

  1. #41
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,927
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I'm just not a big fan of pan fried steak, even if it's done right. I'd rather hit the grill even if it's -20* and snowing. In fact, I appreciate it even more.
    If I have red wine or something I like to do them on the stove and make a pan sauce from the drippings. But mostly, yeah, I prefer a grilled steak. We had rib steaks from the roasts I got at Giant last night and they were delicious.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  2. #42
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,927
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by edinsomd View Post
    1. Season simply. Usually S&P is all you need.
    I'm a seasoning freak, so I make my own beef rub with Misty seasoning, chipotle, smoked paprika, garlic, and instant coffee.

    Yes, instant coffee. It's a cow's best friend. Well, a dead and butchered cow anyway.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    I use a cast iron for my pan fried steaks. I have done tenderloin in the cast iron and it comes out delicious. Just make sure the pan is hot when you put the steaks in. I fry 2.5 minutes on each side to get that crispy bark, then turn the burner off and let the steaks cook an additional 3 - 4 minutes. We like ours medium rare. They come out delicious. I don't season them with anything but coarse ground sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.


    I loveeee my steak on the cast iron, and I was strictly a grill girl before. They just turnout PERFECT. Couple tips for all yall who say they dont turn out:

    Let the steak sit out and get room temp..we mostly use 1.5 inch NY strips or 1/1.5 inch ribeyes
    pat dry with paper towels
    use a small (tiny) bit of canola (NOT olive) oil and rub on the steaks
    do not season them
    let the cast iron heat up in a 500 degree oven then put on high heat on top of the stove
    cook the steaks quickly on each side so they get a good coating on them (or grill marks with a grill pan)
    stick in the oven to continue until they reach temp (I eat my steaks mooing so it isnt long)
    As they are resting sprinkle with kocher salt and black pepper
    First secure an independent income, then practice virtue

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by libertytyranny View Post
    I loveeee my steak on the cast iron, and I was strictly a grill girl before. They just turnout PERFECT. Couple tips for all yall who say they dont turn out:

    Let the steak sit out and get room temp..we mostly use 1.5 inch NY strips or 1/1.5 inch ribeyes
    pat dry with paper towels
    use a small (tiny) bit of canola (NOT olive) oil and rub on the steaks
    do not season them
    let the cast iron heat up in a 500 degree oven then put on high heat on top of the stove
    cook the steaks quickly on each side so they get a good coating on them (or grill marks with a grill pan)
    stick in the oven to continue until they reach temp (I eat my steaks mooing so it isnt long)
    As they are resting sprinkle with kocher salt and black pepper

    Hmm. OK..I definitely never cooked them like that. Maybe worth another try....thanks!
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  5. 03-23-2016, 02:44 PM

  6. #45
    I Need a Life luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by libertytyranny View Post
    I loveeee my steak on the cast iron, and I was strictly a grill girl before. They just turnout PERFECT. Couple tips for all yall who say they dont turn out:

    Let the steak sit out and get room temp..we mostly use 1.5 inch NY strips or 1/1.5 inch ribeyes
    pat dry with paper towels
    use a small (tiny) bit of canola (NOT olive) oil and rub on the steaks
    do not season them
    let the cast iron heat up in a 500 degree oven then put on high heat on top of the stove
    cook the steaks quickly on each side so they get a good coating on them (or grill marks with a grill pan)
    stick in the oven to continue until they reach temp (I eat my steaks mooing so it isnt long)
    As they are resting sprinkle with kocher salt and black pepper
    Never finished them off in the oven before, may have to try that. I use olive oil on the advice from my husbands heart doctor. That's why I don't add the butter either. But I agree with you, pan fried in cast iron is the only way to go. When I do them on the grill, its got to be a charcoal grill, I don't use the gas grill that much anymore.

  7. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodr View Post
    While the meat is resting dice a shallot and mince a clove of garlic, then toss them in the pan for a couple of minutes (until fragrant), then add a 1/2 cup of beef broth and maybe a little butter. Make sure you deglaze all the goodies from the pan. Let it reduce to a semi-thick sauce and pour over the steak.


    yum!

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Never finished them off in the oven before, may have to try that. I use olive oil on the advice from my husbands heart doctor. That's why I don't add the butter either. But I agree with you, pan fried in cast iron is the only way to go. When I do them on the grill, its got to be a charcoal grill, I don't use the gas grill that much anymore.
    olive oil has a lower smoke point than some of the other oils. if you want to use it, get the "extra light" rather than the ex virgin, they refine it more so its smoke point goes up. more meat taste, less char taste.
    First secure an independent income, then practice virtue

  8. #47
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,972
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Ah. You need a good meat thermometer. That will help. And never ever ever ever never ever cook meat in the microwave, even if it's just to warm it up. Ruins it completely.
    Going to take exception to this post, I microwave chicken for 5 minutes per pound before putting it on the grill. It keeps chicken moist while allowing it to cook all of the way through. Chicken cooked from raw on the grill tends to burn before it cooks through to the bone or else dries out when you cook to low.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

  9. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Going to take exception to this post, I microwave chicken for 5 minutes per pound before putting it on the grill. It keeps chicken moist while allowing it to cook all of the way through. Chicken cooked from raw on the grill tends to burn before it cooks through to the bone or else dries out when you cook to low.
    ahh..chicken..yes. I precook pork that way too sometimes. I think he was mainly referring to beef.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  10. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    I use a cast iron for my pan fried steaks. I have done tenderloin in the cast iron and it comes out delicious. Just make sure the pan is hot when you put the steaks in. I fry 2.5 minutes on each side to get that crispy bark, then turn the burner off and let the steaks cook an additional 3 - 4 minutes. We like ours medium rare. They come out delicious. I don't season them with anything but coarse ground sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.
    Same here if the out side grill isn't a possibility but try adding a little "garlic salt"and put a little butter in the pan once you turn off the burner!

  11. #50
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,927
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodr View Post
    While the meat is resting dice a shallot and mince a clove of garlic, then toss them in the pan for a couple of minutes (until fragrant), then add a 1/2 cup of beef broth and maybe a little butter. Make sure you deglaze all the goodies from the pan. Let it reduce to a semi-thick sauce and pour over the steak.
    And that is how easy it is to make a pan sauce - but doesn't it just look all fansy and like you really stepped up? Learning to do that changed my life.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |