Rib roast on sale $4.99/lb at Giant

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now that I've gotten all the motorhome fridge/freezer will hold, I'll spill the beans. Not sure if it's all of them but the one in California by Target is having a crazy sale on beef.

Pete

Repete
Now that I've gotten all the motorhome fridge/freezer will hold, I'll spill the beans. Not sure if it's all of them but the one in California by Target is having a crazy sale on beef.

How many prime rib roasts will that freezer hold?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wow..that is cheap. Especially cheap if the meat was good quality. That's only $1 more per pound than we pay for ours in bulk.

It kills me to see steak routinely in the $12/pound range.

luvmygdaughters

Nicks in Prince Frederick and Waldorf has some great meats and their prices are usually reasonable. When ever I go to my daughters, I always check the flyers and get what evers on sale. A couple of weeks ago, it was the whole fillet tenderloin roast.

:yay:

I scored at Giant. Found a roast big enough to cut into two nice portions plus one boneless steak. Well wrapped and in the freezer.

After the holidays I want to try that spit roasted rib rack that I mentioned.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dixie, you can't cook it or you can't season it? Because lack of seasoning is many times the culprit when someone says they can't cook something.

I don't know what y'all do that I can't do to cook a rib roast but I tried one last week. I got about six good slices that tasted fine (although it was nothing to write home about) and the rest of it went to the stray cat. She ate it one morning and the next morning, took a piece out of the bowl, dropped it, and walked away.

Same thing with steak - I get beef tenderloin from time to time - can't cook it worth a damn. I usually end up slicing it and pan fry it. It ends up okay but not at all like I intended. Sirloin, skirt steak, T-bone, you name it, I can't cook it. Drives me crazy.

Sounds like you're cooking it inside in an oven or on the stove top. Meats like this deserve to be cooked outside on a charcoal grill to a rare-medium rare. If you keep it on the rare side, it makes for excellent roast beef sandwiches or French dips a day or two later. Seasoning is important too. Using just salt/pepper isn't enough to bring out the flavor.

Well there you go - I no longer own a grill because everything I cooked on it ended up raw. I can take that in a hamburger (in fact prefer it) but chicken is just gross that way. All the recipe books, all the internet recipes swears up and down you can do it in the oven. Just turn it on and cook for an hour or so, then turn off the oven and don't open it for hours. Yeah. Right. I had to stick it in the microwave to make it look like it didn't just come off the cow.
Ah. You need a good meat thermometer. That will help. And never ever ever ever never ever cook meat in the microwave, even if it's just to warm it up. Ruins it completely.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
. Meats like this deserve to be cooked outside on a charcoal grill to a rare-medium rare. If you keep it on the rare side, it makes for excellent roast beef sandwiches or French dips a day or two later. Seasoning is important too. Using just salt/pepper isn't enough to bring out the flavor.

Yup! I cook all roasts (except chuck and the like) on my smoker.:buddies:

And all steaks on the grill.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You can pan fry steaks and they turn out great. Finishing very thick steaks in the oven is a little tricky, but an inch-thick steak will fry up nicely, then you can make a simple pan sauce out of the leavings.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why don't you do chuck roasts in the smoker?

Because the SO does such an amazing job with them in her slow cooker.

LOL. I'm headed to the freezer to take out a sirloin tip right now and then get some wood chips a soakin'. All this talk has made me hongry for one.

luvmygdaughters

I use a cast iron for my pan fried steaks. I have done tenderloin in the cast iron and it comes out delicious. Just make sure the pan is hot when you put the steaks in. I fry 2.5 minutes on each side to get that crispy bark:drool:, then turn the burner off and let the steaks cook an additional 3 - 4 minutes. We like ours medium rare. They come out delicious. I don't season them with anything but coarse ground sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Funny...I can cook a killer steak on about any grill, but can't get one to come out OK with a frying pan to save my life. Does warming up last night's steak in a pan with the breakfast eggs count?