Flag at Potomac Speedway

TheLibertonian

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
"The St Mary's County Government and it’s employees did not place the Confederate Battle Flag, or the Line Flag from the Civil War at the location in question. It’s not on county property or attached to our county sign. The land that it is being flown from is private property, and owned by Budds Creek Motorcross. It has been flying from that location since Monday. We had not received any official complaints until this morning. I personally went out and spoke to both property owners, researched the property lines with them, and determined that the flag was in fact on private property, and not in any State or County right of way. No further action needs to, or will be taken since it is on private property, and the property owner is exercising his right under the 1st Amendment."

John E O'Connor
County Commissioner, District 3

TheLibertonian

Eh, your opinion doesn't matter

The history of maryland has a lot of conflict with virginia. During the civil war Maryland confederates flew the crossland banner. If these people want to support the confederacy and be marylanders, they should be flying the proper flag, not the flag of the army of northern freaking virginia.

You may not give a darn about Marylands history and have pride in it but I do.

BernieP

Resident PIA
http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0316/commissionermakesremarksaboutconfederateflag.html

Well at first I wanted to commend the property owner for exercising his 1st Amendment right, but now I'm disappointed the flag(s) were removed. It was on your own property, you shouldn't have to bow to the entitled butt hurt kind because they don't like the flag. Stand tall and proud people.

If you listened to T-Bone and Heather yesterday you would have heard that it WAS NOT the property owner who put the flag there.
Apparently the property owner does not live there, but when informed by relatives they were upset and asked that it be removed.

glhs837

Power with Control
Either Commissioner O'Conner or T-Bone and Heather have it wrong. And unless I'm mistaken, the Welcome sign is St Marys County property and I would cover it up until that other flag comes down. That way the county isn't associated with the flag, which is the appearance it gives. T-Bone and Heather said the property owner refused to let anyone remove it becuase she was afraid of whomever put it there.

Grumpy

We should be thankful that someone didn't write "Trump 2016" in chalk on that sign, can you imagine the psychological trauma that would inflict?

General Lee

If you listened to T-Bone and Heather yesterday you would have heard that it WAS NOT the property owner who put the flag there.
Apparently the property owner does not live there, but when informed by relatives they were upset and asked that it be removed.

Yes, I have nothing better to do then listen to T-Bone and who? Come on, are you serious?

nutz

Either Commissioner O'Conner or T-Bone and Heather have it wrong. And unless I'm mistaken, the Welcome sign is St Marys County property and I would cover it up until that other flag comes down. That way the county isn't associated with the flag, which is the appearance it gives. T-Bone and Heather said the property owner refused to let anyone remove it becuase she was afraid of whomever put it there.

Can I get you some Pamprin to help?

officeguy

The sign may well be county property yet not sit on county owned land. It is either in the state right of way or on private land by means of an easement or license.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I quote from the "Editor"
It’s not on county property or attached to our county sign. The land that it is being flown from is private property, and owned by Budds Creek Motorcross .

That seems to be what was discussed on air. The only thing that was added, was that they were told by relatives of the land owner, that permission was not given to put the flag there and that the owner was upset.

glhs837

Power with Control
Can I get you some Pamprin to help?

Why, do I seem upset? I can think that gives the county a bad image without have sand in someplace I don't have. Want to fly it anywhere else, go right ahead. I don't think it belongs on govt property, or even cleverly placed so as to appear to be on govt property to folks who might not understand how that sign is situated. Whoever placed it there did it to get it next to the county sign. I say deprive them of that free publicity.
'
Which of course doesnt answer the question as to who was mistaken, either the commissioner or the deejays. Do I think a politican might take a quick looksee and find the fastest way to say "Not our problem" and punt? Sure, but no way to know that for sure without looking up who owns it. Do I think someone might have called the DJs and either pretended to be someone they were not or misrepresented the owners real position to reduce the amount of crap said owner might catch. When you host national level events with huge money paid by sponsors, it might be a bad move to associate yourself with symbols widely seen to be racist. Note I dd NOT say I think that, because I do not. But appearances do count.

nutz

Why, do I seem upset? I can think that gives the county a bad image without have sand in someplace I don't have. Want to fly it anywhere else, go right ahead. I don't think it belongs on govt property, or even cleverly placed so as to appear to be on govt property to folks who might not understand how that sign is situated. Whoever placed it there did it to get it next to the county sign. I say deprive them of that free publicity.
'
Which of course doesnt answer the question as to who was mistaken, either the commissioner or the deejays. Do I think a politican might take a quick looksee and find the fastest way to say "Not our problem" and punt? Sure, but no way to know that for sure without looking up who owns it. Do I think someone might have called the DJs and either pretended to be someone they were not or misrepresented the owners real position to reduce the amount of crap said owner might catch. When you host national level events with huge money paid by sponsors, it might be a bad move to associate yourself with symbols widely seen to be racist. Note I dd NOT say I think that, because I do not. But appearances do count.

So, they have a right to fly the flag anywhere else? But not on private property close to a sign?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, they have a right to fly the flag anywhere else? But not on private property close to a sign?

No, still a right to fly it there, amusing of course it's the property owner that placed it or gave them permission. And the county has the right to drape a tarp the welcome sign.

glhs837

Power with Control
"The St Mary's County Government and it’s employees did not place the Confederate Battle Flag, or the Line Flag from the Civil War at the location in question. It’s not on county property or attached to our county sign. The land that it is being flown from is private property, and owned by Budds Creek Motorcross. It has been flying from that location since Monday. We had not received any official complaints until this morning. I personally went out and spoke to both property owners, researched the property lines with them, and determined that the flag was in fact on private property, and not in any State or County right of way. No further action needs to, or will be taken since it is on private property, and the property owner is exercising his right under the 1st Amendment."

John E O'Connor
County Commissioner, District 3

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.404...U3EDrks-kkZElEFrt_4Iw!2e0!7i3328!8i1664?hl=en

So, its' across the street from the motocross park. But on the SDAT website, it shows that parcel 50, which you might think has the sign on it, actually has a carveout where the sign is. Can't tell from this who that slice belongs to.

http://sdat.dat.maryland.gov/realproperty/maps/showmap.html?countyid=19&accountid=04+015126

I suspect the lady who owns parcel 50 assumed that piece was hers, which is why her niece called T-bone and Heather, when in reality that slice belongs to the guy who owns the motocross park. Strictly guesswork til I get a chance to hit up the countys GIS tool which will show exactly who owns it. People are generally crappy about knowing what property is there's unless there are physical markers. But since the flags are gone, it's a moot point other than as a discussion topic.