Sen. Waugh PR: $42 billion budget passed

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
ANNAPOLIS - Senator Steve Waugh (R-St. Mary's County) has announced the Maryland General Assembly passed a $42 billion budget that gives Governor Larry Hogan and the State of Maryland a FY 2017 budget that contains a reasonable increase in funds for projects that ensure the state maintains its commitment to programs that benefit the well-being of its residents.

"The FY 2017 budget shows real leadership: funds our top priorities and maintains a surplus - with no new taxes.

It provides cautious economic stewardship by both the Governor and the General Assembly," Senator Waugh stated. "At the same time, it reflects our values to fund programs that benefit all residents while holding firm on budgetary restraints."

With a $403 million surplus in the general fund, the House and Senate passed SB 190 with less than a half percent change in the Governor's budget request. In addition, this budget will result in a five-year structural deficit of over $280 million, down from the $5.1 billion deficit estimated in December 2014.

To fund state priorities, the General Assembly cut and restricted $136 million, $80 million of which was redirected from the Governor's proposed appropriation to the Rainy Day Fund to cover existing and new programs. Priorities funded in this budget will:

-- Maintain the state's commitment to its public schools with over $6.3 billion in financial support for public schools.

-- Provide $15.0 million to assist with the transition to a new Prince George's County Regional Medical System, $21.5 million for strategic demolition neighborhood revitalization projects across the state, a significant increase in critical maintenance funding to preserve state facilities, and $2.0 million in new funding for the Rural Maryland Prosperity Investment Fund to support rural entrepreneurship and community development.

-- Keep higher education tuition increases low.

-- Provide vital health care services to vulnerable populations and funding for physicians.

-- Increase by $12.1 million spending on substance abuse disorders to cover new and expanded services and treatment for individuals with a substance abuse disorder.

For additional information about the Budget Bill as passed, please visit the following link- http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/Pubs/BudgetFiscal/2016rs-budget-docs-operating-cc-summary.pdf.

####

Kinnakeet

Where's the part that says he is going to change MD'S concealed carry to THE CONSTITUTION IS THE CARRY LAW of MD like it was meant to be!:patriot:

3CATSAILOR

$21.5 million for strategic demolition neighborhood revitalization projects - I guess we end up paying for Baltimore City's riots in several ways. 1) By this 21.5 million. 2) By when our "County" Police assist the "City" police during the riots in their mutual agreement plan. I don't believe Baltimore City reimbursed our County for one dime of it. Our Sheriff's Office seems to be on the loosing end of this agreement. I doubt you will ever see the Baltimore City police coming down here helping us with anything. In fact, I wouldn't want them to. What has occurred is other "Counties" helping each other. Perhaps the Baltimore City police help Baltimore County. That's fine. But, it seems that our taxpayers paid for our guys to go to Baltimore City just so they could get hit by some rocks. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt.

So now they call drug addiction a "substance abuse disorder" I guess they are going to call it "SAD" now...... "pardon the pun". Why does there always have to be a name for everything? Does this mean the funding would not have been there without a new name for a long term problem? Of course not. What about addressing the long term mental health problem. They would have to call that "mental abuse disorder" to go in line with their substance abuse disorder. But, I don't believe that would be very politically correct since it would be called "MAD" for people with mental health problems. I don't think the politicians want to call people with a mental illness MAD.