+ 60 acres for an elementary school? Why?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, reading the recent news brought up a point we have discussed before. Why does a school require over 60 acres? Even with parking lots and playing fields, that much land seems a bit much.

inkah

So, reading the recent news brought up a point we have discussed before. Why does a school require over 60 acres? Even with parking lots and playing fields, that much land seems a bit much.

So when they pack all those "bad" little Kindergarten boys into the tiny BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT disciplinary closet and sit them properly at the table to identify their feelings while receiving Stillness and Silence Instruction, they can look out the window at the vast green pastures and promise with their right hands dutifully raised, never to ever run and play ever again so long as they all shall (cease to) live.

Chris0nllyn

Calvert's rule of thumb is minimum 16 acres for an elementary school, 25 acres for a middle school and 80 acres for a high school.

For comparison's sake, here's Calvert's elementary school site sizes:

Appeal Elementary - 26.4 Acres (shared with Patuxent Elementary)
Barstow Elementary - 22 acres
Beach Elementary - 21.6 acres
Calvert Elementary - 18.2 acres
Dowell Elementary - 19 acres
Huntingtown Elementary - 21 acres
Mt. Harmony Elementary - 15 acres
Mutual Elementary - 26 acres
Plum Point Elementary - 191 acres (shared with Plum Point Middle)
St. Leonard Elementary - 28 acres
Sunderland Elementary - 9.623 acres
Windy Hill Elementary - 16 acres
Calvert Country - 14.8 acres

Unless they plan on eventually sharing the lot with another school, it seems excessive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Calvert's rule of thumb is minimum 16 acres for an elementary school, 25 acres for a middle school and 80 acres for a high school.

St. Mary's tends to buy larger and "bunch" schools and/or other public facitlities. Look at Leonardtown...three different school facilities on one property.

Chris0nllyn

St. Mary's tends to buy larger and "bunch" schools and/or other public facitlities. Look at Leonardtown...three different school facilities on one property.

That's probably why the need for such a large lot. Future plans for additional schools.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I don't think that site is served by public water so there probably needs to be a huge area for septic.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's probably why the need for such a large lot. Future plans for additional schools.

I'm only guessing...but that's a typical approach in the county. Makes sense...there are certain infrastructure overhead functions that are more cost effective when the facilities are close together.

OldHillcrestGuy

No brainer, buy large parcels of land (while its available) and put 2 maybe even 3 schools together. The value of that land will probably only increase in the future. Some day there may be a need for a another middle or high school in the area.

Because that's the size of the parcel they are buying? Future additional school buildings? My guess is that the lot size has to do with the space needed for the building, parking lot, playground, ball fields, stormwater management and environmental regulations.

nutz

It was simply a 60ish acre tract of land. You either buy the whole thing, nothing or you pay the costs to have it subdivided. Usually a good deal for the current owner, they then get to sell what you didn't get. And price per acre will usually go up.

Last edited:

sm8

I want to know what ever happened with the high school and middle school I had read an article on being built in mechanicsville near Flora Corner. I have searched and can not find the article.

BlueOx77

I want to know what ever happened with the high school and middle school I had read an article on being built in mechanicsville near Flora Corner. I have searched and can not find the article.

The county commissioners told the school board to drop that site because of zoning issues there and they were getting a free land donation off of St. Andrew's Church Road for schools.

BernieP

Resident PIA

and there is no room for athletic fields / practice areas. One stadium that is highly over used. They either need to go to an artificial surface for all three high school stadiums. They are used all year round, almost every day of the week. There is no time to restore the fields. This leads to dangerous playing conditions. Of course when spring comes around there is very little need to cut the grass since there almost isn't any.

Oh, and 60 acres is a sound investment. The schools should have sufficient room for active use. Both for the school and for the community. Sports leagues are always looking for practice fields. The open space also allows for rain water runoff. Plus it allows room to expand the school and not remove all the outdoor active use area. Look at Esperanza and Leonardtown HS, after school expansion, how much area remains for safe active use (safe for the school as well).

officeguy

Got it for 773K. Always thought the 1.2 mil was a bit nuts.

That sounds like a good price for a parcel of that size in a fairly developed area. The parcel # is 1908009139 and is currently listed as Ag and subject to agricultural transfer tax. I wonder whether the school district has to pay the tax for taking the land out of production (like anyone else would have to) ?