Potential store closings

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Surprised about the one in Lexington Park. I don't shop there but isn't that the only grocery store down there? That'll be rough for those who have to walk to the store.

tommyjo

Maybe y'all should actually read the article???

An industry trade paper on Monday, April 4, 2016, published a list of 83 stores that it reported Ahold and Delhaize are seeking to sell as part of their forthcoming merger,

Nowhere in the actual article does the actual word "sell" appear.

Gee...I can figure that out and I am only "semi-literate"!!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

YOU glossed over the title of this thread: "Potential Store Closings"

Dumb shiat :jameo:

I'm confused as to what you are shouting about...:confused:

The Lexington Park Food Lion falls on the list under "Potentially Overlapping Stores For Sale in Southern Maryland".

Bonehead

Dear Tommyjo

Is it impossible for you to post without being a douche bag ?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Food Lion sucks anyway - good riddance. Maybe you all will get a decent grocery store to replace it.

officeguy

Funny how a merger of a dutch and a belgian supermarket chain can create ripple effects as far away as St Marys county.

I dont believe that this is a list of store closings. This is a list of stores were overlap could create an issue with the FTC. As these things go, they often get resolved by sales or trades of stores with other chain grocers.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Funny how a merger of a dutch and a belgian supermarket chain can create ripple effects as far away as St Marys county.

I dont believe that this is a list of store closings. This is a list of stores were overlap could create an issue with the FTC. As these things go, they often get resolved by sales or trades of stores with other chain grocers.

What do they mean by overlap?

Midnightrider

they mean that the stores share a market. The Giant and Food Lion on 235 are a great example. The problem would be that it would be easy for the two stores to set artifically high prices if they are owned by the same company.

officeguy

Right now, Food Lion and Giant are owned by separate companies. Both of those companies in turn are owned by two separate european grocery chains (Ahold and DeHaize). If the two european chains merge, now two stores that share the same market will be owned by the same company giving that company a dominant share of the local market.

Mergers are not supposed to create that kind of monopolies, so the companies that want to merge have to come up with a plan that satisfies the FTCs requirements. Lets say the new combined company sold one of the Giant stores to Safeway, that 'overlap' could be fixed.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Right now, Food Lion and Giant are owned by separate companies. Both of those companies in turn are owned by two separate european grocery chains (Ahold and DeHaize). If the two european chains merge, now two stores that share the same market will be owned by the same company giving that company a dominant share of the local market.

Mergers are not supposed to create that kind of monopolies, so the companies that want to merge have to come up with a plan that satisfies the FTCs requirements. Lets say the new combined company sold one of the Giant stores to Safeway, that 'overlap' could be fixed.

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing. :yay:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

except Food Lion and Giant are not even in the same class ... saying they sell groceries is about the only comparison

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
they mean that the stores share a market. The Giant and Food Lion on 235 are a great example. The problem would be that it would be easy for the two stores to set artifically high prices if they are owned by the same company.

Thank you!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Thank you. Why doesn't it matter when it's one grocery store but in several close locations?