Typical traffice to BWI on Mondays?

DQ2B

Need to catch a flight at 8:00 A.M. Monday. Anyone routinely travel that direction on weekdays and can tell me if traffic is typically bad?

Hannibal

You should be OK. I commute from just south of Prince Frederick to MD-175 (Elkridge, MD) each day. I am usually at work by 630AM which is about when you'd need to be at BWI. My office is less than 5 miles from BWI.

Two options for travel:

1. MD-4N to 495 to 95N and then follow the signs. I prefer this route in the AM as long as things are moving nicely at the split.
2. MD-2N to 50W to 97N and than follow the signs. This is my go to in the PM but my backup in the AM.

Figure it will take you about 1 hour and 15 minutes if you're leaving from the same general area as me.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
for me when i was traveling a lot, i like to get there ~ 2 hours prior anyway. Soooooooooooooooo traffiic won't be bad 4-6 am

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
From where I am I take 2 to 97 south of Annapolis (yeah I know you have to get on 665 and 50/301 for a bit) and have gone up that early. It's not that bad. Even last week and yesterday when I had to go to Baltimore County a bit later the way to BWI wasn't bad.

Of course, one moron can cause a cluster#### at almost any time of the day or night.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm in and out of BWI quite often. 2 hours from Piney Point for an 8 am flight is what I allow for...leaving at 4 am...4:30 latest. I take the 4/301/3/97 route most of the time...or 4/301/50/97 if I know for certain I'm going to hit rush hour.

Chris0nllyn

Take 4 to Rt.2 then hop on 97.

You won't run into any traffic going up 301 that way.

Of course, Rt.2 is a single lane road, so hopefully you don't get behind someone going slow. Good thing is, I-97 has a 65mph speed limit.

I drive 301 everyday and you should be okay that time of the morning should you choose to take that route.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Need to catch a flight at 8:00 A.M. Monday. Anyone routinely travel that direction on weekdays and can tell me if traffic is typically bad?

If you don't have it, get TSA Pre-Check..

I like the 495 to 295 Arundel Mills Exit for early morning .. If you're aiming for a 7 AM arrival/ check in at the airport and need to turn in a rental car it's the easiest solution as there is a gas station right across from Arundel Mills, about 3 miles from the car return.

But 2 hours prior to your flight is a lot, and not necessary any longer (IF you have TSA pre-check).. only requirement now is for checked bags and the minimum time prior to take off your bags have to be checked. I think it's 45 minutes for Delta.

PeoplesElbow

The traffic from 4 to 301 never seems to change, always reliable and I have never seen a backup as many times as I have been through there. The traffic to 301 might be more of an issue for you especially if you decide go to through the Waldorf/Brandywine area.

I like getting to the terminal early and eating at the silver diner if I get there really early to kill some time.

lovinmaryland

I would error on the side of giving yourself PLENTY of time. Our flight left out of BWI back in February at 6:30 am I left our house in Leonardtown at 3:30 am thinking we'd have plenty of time...which would've been the case had their not been an accident 7 miles from the airport. W/ that and a long security lines we barely made our flight.

glhs837

Power with Control
Pre-heck, best damn $80 you will ever spend.

Stay off of the BW Parkway, go through Calvert and up to 97, one damn fender bender on the Parkway and you are screwed.

Allow 1.5 hours to get you there 1.5 hours prior to your flight.

OldHillcrestGuy

She/he is leaving from No St. Marys, why send her up Rt. 4, take 231 to 381 to 301 (sometimes 301 from county to the 301/5 split can be really bad.) then go north on 301 through Crofton to 97 then exit I think its Dorsey Rd and there is the airport. Pretty simple, if flight leaves at 8am and you have to be there 2 hrs. before you shouldn't have a problem with traffic.

glhs837

Power with Control
She/he is leaving from No St. Marys, why send her up Rt. 4, take 231 to 381 to 301 (sometimes 301 from county to the 301/5 split can be really bad.) then go north on 301 through Crofton to 97 then exit I think its Dorsey Rd and there is the airport. Pretty simple, if flight leaves at 8am and you have to be there 2 hrs. before you shouldn't have a problem with traffic.

Given a safe constant travel speed on Rt 4 of 65 or so, you would make much better time than 381. One old person on 381 and you've lost 10 minutes.

SoMDGirl42

I've been traveling a lot for work lately out of BWI with 8 am departures. I've been leaving my house (so st. Mary's) and going up 4 to 301 to 97. I've been leaving about 430. So far, no issues and have been through security and waiting for boarding with time to grab a snack and a drink. I've been parking in the daily lot and not the long term parking. That alone saves me time, I've decided I hate long term parking!

OldHillcrestGuy

Given a safe constant travel speed on Rt 4 of 65 or so, you would make much better time than 381. One old person on 381 and you've lost 10 minutes.

Hey I resent that comment about old people. lol Well around 5-6am its still dark outside and the OLD local people of Aquasco, Baden and Brandywine cant check out what the neighbors are doing or what or who has planted or plowed their fields. I drove that way to work on and off for almost 25 years, I know what you mean, but if you get with the right pack of people you can easily do 65. To go over 231 and then up Rt.4, that's another 12 miles or so to get to Rt. 4. I also went up Rt. 5 and then Mattawomen to 301 to the split at 301/5. Its still not that bad that way but those 2 new lights at the shopping centers can really mess up traffic.The right lane on 301 there, you would think that it would move smoothly since it merges off to go north on 301, but the aholes get in that lane and then slowdown to move over to get better positioning to head north on Rt. 5.

I flew out of BWI the Monday before Easter. 7:30 flight. I left home at 4:00. Was at the FastPark 2 lot (by the McDonalds) by 5:10 and in the terminal by 5:18. I took 301/3. GPS was saying that I could have saved 10 minutes by taking BW Parkway.

xobxdoc

Depending on how long you will be gone it may be worth it to get a park and fly hotel and get up there the night before. Screw getting up at 3AM!

glhs837

Power with Control
Hey I resent that comment about old people. lol Well around 5-6am its still dark outside and the OLD local people of Aquasco, Baden and Brandywine cant check out what the neighbors are doing or what or who has planted or plowed their fields. I drove that way to work on and off for almost 25 years, I know what you mean, but if you get with the right pack of people you can easily do 65. To go over 231 and then up Rt.4, that's another 12 miles or so to get to Rt. 4. I also went up Rt. 5 and then Mattawomen to 301 to the split at 301/5. Its still not that bad that way but those 2 new lights at the shopping centers can really mess up traffic.The right lane on 301 there, you would think that it would move smoothly since it merges off to go north on 301, but the aholes get in that lane and then slowdown to move over to get better positioning to head north on Rt. 5.

Wasn't casting aspersions, I know why old people do what they do, even the "old at heart" :) And I plan accordingly, try to avoid single lane roads when I'm on a timetable.