carport recommendations?

DannyMotorcycle

i've decided to dump the garage idea and just get a carport with 2 sides... an RV port for extra storage size.. (and the amish place I went to never got back to me.. I kind of doubt they'll build the same space up for near the same price?)

Any recommendations? warnings? I'm assuming it's true no permits are needed? That's what the guy
at the place near billingsly told me.

willie

GARAGE!!!!! you will never regret it. A basic garage won't cost that much more than a carport. Consider a pole barn type.

GregV814

Marco's in Prince Frederick has a wide variety of sheds, carports, lean to's and garages. He did a good job for me. He's located about 2 miles south of Prince Frederick on Route 4 next to Matteson's Supply on the east side.

DannyMotorcycle

what'd you get and what was the turn around time? i was looking on ebay and some company has an enclosed on two sides
RV carcover port that's 18x31 by 10 or 14 high.. for $2600 i'm sure it might be $500 more for whatever extra braces or what have you.. i was thinking of getting a couple of them, closing up one end, and putting hinged doors on the other end.. leaving one end open and using the wall of a first one as the rear wall of a second one.. at least from blocking the neighbors view in. So that'd be like 6 grand .. vs 20 grand for a garage.. but if you have a good arguement of why the garage is better.. i'm all ears. Do garages make property taxes go up? pole barn, whatever you want to call it..

oh and willie if you could point me in the direction of what you're reffering to, i'd greatly appreciate it. I would prefer a garage/polebarn.. but money is a factor too.. but if they finance and it adds value to my home, i'd be interested in going that route, but i just don't see garages being just a little more than car ports unless we're talkng about the same type of thing already.

DannyMotorcycle

Marco's in Prince Frederick has a wide variety of sheds, carports, lean to's and garages. He did a good job for me. He's located about 2 miles south of Prince Frederick on Route 4 next to Matteson's Supply on the east side.

what'd you get, how much was it, and how long did it take?

I got a 12x24' carport from WalMart about 2005. I liked this one much better than most because it uses a 2 1/4" steel cold zink tubular frame as opposed to the thinner, smaller square member frame. Very substantial, still in use and looks great, no corrosion. Well, except for the blackened area from a grill fire...... A while go I looked into getting height expansion brackets and was told they were available. Never pursued it tho. Came with anchors, tie down brackets, edge trim. Seems to me it was about $900.

20160417_182534-001.jpg

keekee

Alans Factory Outlet

i've decided to dump the garage idea and just get a carport with 2 sides... an RV port for extra storage size.. (and the amish place I went to never got back to me.. I kind of doubt they'll build the same space up for near the same price?)

Any recommendations? warnings? I'm assuming it's true no permits are needed? That's what the guy

Yes you absolutely do need a permit if the footprint is over 500 sq ft, (if you're in St. Mary's).
You can look that up on the county website permits section.

We just had one put in.
We did 18 x 31 x 12ft leg height (which makes it taller in the center).
Thicker gauge steel as we are considered to be in the South (that's standard for them).
Gabled on one end and full sides.
We went with Alans Factory Outlet because their price includes delivery and set-up.
It took about 3 months for them to get us scheduled, and then it was up in one day.
They did a great job and customer service was wonderful.
Final price was $3450
You can go on their website and spec out what you want and it will give you an estimated price.
We are very pleased.

keekee

Also, you will need to have an area leveled within 3 inches.
We didn't think ahead about that, so that is more expense unless you have your own equipment.

GregV814

what'd you get, how much was it, and how long did it take?

It is a 18 X 18 carport that I put T-111 sides on. The guys were at my house in about 2 days and finished within 2 hours.. The total was $795.00 and I gave them a tip....Note that I had to have a level spot that I filled with gravel... Later, I added a floor of plywood over 2 X10"s...

DannyMotorcycle

Thanks for the replies.. I think i'm going to duplicate what gregv184 has done. how much did the T-111 cost you?

So i went to marco's. someone there told me they just order from someone from PA to come down and do it
and it can take up to six weeks... which seems like what the other local people do.. so i might as well just
find the cheapest place online that does the same thing.

DannyMotorcycle

Yes you absolutely do need a permit if the footprint is over 500 sq ft, (if you're in St. Mary's).
You can look that up on the county website permits section.

We just had one put in.
We did 18 x 31 x 12ft leg height (which makes it taller in the center).
Thicker gauge steel as we are considered to be in the South (that's standard for them).
Gabled on one end and full sides.
We went with Alans Factory Outlet because their price includes delivery and set-up.
It took about 3 months for them to get us scheduled, and then it was up in one day.
They did a great job and customer service was wonderful.
Final price was $3450
You can go on their website and spec out what you want and it will give you an estimated price.
We are very pleased.

Did you go with 14 or 12 gauge? the more i review my options, the better this setup is looking lol.

GregV814

So i went to marco's. someone there told me they just order from someone from PA to come down and do it
and it can take up to six weeks... which seems like what the other local people do.. so i might as well just
find the cheapest place online that does the same thing.

well, heck....they have changed a business plan....sorry about that man....they were quick and cheap for me....did you talk to the blonde woman or one of the yard guys???

nutz

Last edited:

DannyMotorcycle

Also, you will need to have an area leveled within 3 inches.
We didn't think ahead about that, so that is more expense unless you have your own equipment.

I know about this.. at first eyeballing i think it is.. or thought it is.. but now i'm having my doubts. What's your story with this?

DannyMotorcycle

here is where i'm at with the ebay seller:

New message from: buildingdesigns4all (375Turquoise Star)
Hello again,

I can tell you that ordering 2 sill speed up the delivery- (side note, don't have space on level ground for 2 like i was hoping, but was curious anyway)

Each time they send out the install crew, they have to have $14-$17 thousand dollars worth of orders in an area. This is what normally takes the 4-6 and 4-8 weeks for MD. The faster they fill up a load, the faster they can send out the load.

An 18' wide and 31' long (frame is 18x30), all-steel structure with Boxed Eaves, 12' legs, 3' braces, and Side Walls (front and rear are completely open) will cost $3,015.oo plus tax in MD. Only 15% down ($452.25) is required to place your order.

- With 3' of added protection on each side - $2,325.oo plus tax in MD. Only 15% down ($348.75) is required to place your order.

- With 6' of added protection on each side - $2,535.oo plus tax in MD. Only 15% down ($380.25) is required to place your order.

Delivery and installation are free!
Normal delivery takes 4-8 weeks in your area.
(The schedules are not written until a few days prior to delivery, but we will begin following up on the order after 2 weeks, if you have not heard from scheduling by that time.)

You may view a color chart with 14 colors to choose from in our eBay store or on our website at: www.needacarport.com

Please let me know if we can help you further!

Thank you

-----
trying to decide if i should do full sides, or have some sides come down, have some plexiglass (or whatever light allowing material) row for light, and T111 at the bottom..

Anyone know how painful and or slow the permit process is in charles county and care to share any details? On one hand i hate that i have to get gov't permission for this on my property, on the other hand i don't want to build it and be told to take it down.. so i guess i'll do it right. I want to get it all done sooner rather than later though, including whatever the wait is for installing.

Last edited: