Jet Noise in Lusby

lonedog

I recently put in a contract on a house in Lusby. Wednesday I was over there for the inspection and jets were flying over the house about every five minutes. They were extremely loud. Really loud. From what I understand, jets can fly over 365 days a year from 7 am to 11 pm. I am wondering how often jets fly over. Was this every 5 minutes unusual? How do people down there deal with the noise. I have commercial jets flying over my house now about every 5 minutes but they are way up in the air and the noise is barely noticeable in the house with the windows closed. Even outside when a jet goes over it is not loud enough to interrupt conversation. It's barely noticeable. I am really upset about this because I love the house and the whole area there, but I like peace and quiet and don't think I will be able to tolerate this noise. Thank you for any response.

Midnightrider

I recently put in a contract on a house in Lusby. Wednesday I was over there for the inspection and jets were flying over the house about every five minutes. They were extremely loud. Really loud. From what I understand, jets can fly over 365 days a year from 7 am to 11 pm. I am wondering how often jets fly over. Was this every 5 minutes unusual? How do people down there deal with the noise. I have commercial jets flying over my house now about every 5 minutes but they are way up in the air and the noise is barely noticeable in the house with the windows closed. Even outside when a jet goes over it is not loud enough to interrupt conversation. It's barely noticeable. I am really upset about this because I love the house and the whole area there, but I like peace and quiet and don't think I will be able to tolerate this noise. Thank you for any response.

It depends on the wind direction if they fly over that way or not, but it won't be that often most days. The base is pretty good about limiting it to during the day most of the time too. When I lived over there it was never often enough to be a problem

PeoplesElbow

Wednesday, as in today?

I really didn't think there was all that much flying going on today, at least from the jet side of the base. I live very close to base and it rarely bothers me.

Tomorrow is going to be a nice sunny day, I would suggest you go over there from sometime between 09:00-16:00 and see if its like that again.

I may be just used to it though as they sit outside my window and turn for hours sometimes.

Saiga

Jet noise is a common occurrence down here. You must have known there was a naval base here when you were looking for a house. If you moved next to train tracks would you be concerned about the amount to train traffic? If the noise bothers you that much, look elsewhere.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm in Hollywood and I get more noise from Trooper 7 than the base jets. Even when I hear the jets, it has become white noise to me.

dave1959

You did know you were within a few miles of a air base.......did'nt you..?

Tech

32/14 is currently closed for repair, so mostly everything is using 6/24 and that F-35 is noisy.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm in Hollywood and I get more noise from Trooper 7 than the base jets. Even when I hear the jets, it has become white noise to me.

I was going to suggest that if the OP was concerned about noise they probably should have looked at the runway alignment and checked to see if they were going to be right under the approach/departure routes.
Wheels down, flaps down, low and slow can be a little louder than a plane in a holding pattern.
But it's only temporary and they rarely fly base sundown. What, maybe 4 times a year they do night OPS for pilot training?

BernieP

Resident PIA
32/14 is currently closed for repair, so mostly everything is using 6/24 and that F-35 is noisy.

I love the sound of that engine. It has a real low freq rumble to it, you can feel that puppy in the ground when they are doing run ups.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
You did know you were within a few miles of a air base.......did'nt you..?

Hahaha.... He is not the first cry baby I have heard complain about the noise from the base. It kinda makes me wonder what kind of place this Asshat is moving here from.:doh:

He probably just got a job at Calvert Cliffs Nuke plant and he is sweating some sound of freedom (jet noise).

Last edited:

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Back in the '80's we lived along the flight path about 1.5 miles from Lajes AB, Azores. It seemed like every few hours, day and night, a C-141 or a C-5 was coming in slow and low. I got used to it in about a month but the dog never did. lol

FED_UP

An F-35 was coming in for landing as I passed under it near the skeet shoot area, felt like it was about to land on the car from the rumble.

BernieP

Resident PIA
An F-35 was coming in for landing as I passed under it near the skeet shoot area, felt like it was about to land on the car from the rumble.

We like to call that stealth technology. The noise gives the impression that the plane is closer than it looks in your rearview mirror.

Tech

A few weeks ago, the weather must have been just right, sounded like a F-35 taking off and my windows rattled. I live about four miles from the airfield. First time that happen in the 18 years in this house.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

^This^

You don't think so now, but you will get used to it and before long you won't even hear it anymore.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hahaha.... He is not the first cry baby I have heard complain about the noise from the base. It kinda makes me wonder what kind of place this Asshat is moving here from.:doh:

He probably just got a job at Calvert Cliffs Nuke plant and he is sweating some sound of freedom (jet noise).

Unhappyazz :smack:

It didn't occur to me when I first moved here that living near a Navy base meant frequent jet noise and I remember being like, "Wow, is this going to happen all the time??" Then after a few weeks I didn't hear it anymore.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
^This^

You don't think so now, but you will get used to it and before long you won't even hear it anymore.

Also, growing up near Moffett Field in California, I heard the P-3's all the time and never noticed them really. When the malathion spraying happened, the low flying helicopters were definitely noticed. But it was only temporary.

Last edited: