Diesel repair St Marys county

baxter

While working one day, my dump truck broke down while on the job. My crew to call TW Smith out of Callaway to see if he could come take a look. (Personally, had my crew called me the truck would have went elsewhere with the track record I have at TW Smiths) TW arrived and says the dump truck needs to be towed to his shop. Dump towed ($350). I receive a call later that evening and am told "the fuel regulator failed, it came apart, I have never seen this before, all the debris has passed into the fuel system that will require a total flush". I am told to call one of his workers that also works for Alban Cat, "we want some extra parts in case we need them, if we don't need them, we can return them and credit your credit card". I call the guy at Alban cat and am told the "spare" or possible extra parts are around $2200.00. Remember the regulator came apart and the entire system requires a flush at the very least. I told the guy on the phone I was not buying $2200 worth of parts that may not be needed. Two days later I head to the shop. I figured at least they would have changed the regulator and flushed the system to determine if any additional parts were required. There sits my truck, untouched. I spoke with Tim Smith (Owner) and he stated that the truck was not touched because I decided not to put the money into it. I asked him how much I owed him and he replied "the truck is not fixed", I can see that, but what do i owe you right now? "two hours labor that's $160.00. I wrote him a check, and told him someone would be by to tow the truck later today. Truck is towed to Kesslers truck and body, two hours later I receive a call from Kesslers, "truck is done". I ask what was wrong, "fuel gage is a little off truck was out of fuel".

Other repairs at TW Smith include:
Hub seal replaced- Unit leaks one week later
PTO clutch adjusted- doesn't work two days later
Brake caliper replaced- brake smoking and hanging up since repair- Tim came back looked at it and stated residual fluid, however caliper area was bone dry

Thanks Tim, your a real stand up guy!

More to follow

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sounds like you should be mad at your guy for being a bone head running out of fuel too.

Sometimes the gauge is just off, wife's car (neon) went from right on one fill up to reading 1/3 tank being empty the next fill up. Called the tow truck for that too.

PeoplesElbow

Sometimes the gauge is just off, wife's car (neon) went from right on one fill up to reading 1/3 tank being empty the next fill up. Called the tow truck for that too.

Having driven GM's a lot when I was younger I don't trust a gas gauge at all. GMs seemed to no go down at all until its actually at half a tank then rapidly drop, so I always used the trip meter and knew how many miles I could get on a tank, still do that to this day.