Tunes Virgin

Agee

Shocker?

I'm new to the music download thing, any enlightenment? reliable sites, copyright protection coding, do/don'ts?

I'd like to download a "master copy" to my pc and then copy to phone, flash drive, etc. More than willing to pay, the musicians deserve as much. The CD market is drying-up, understandably, and it's hard to find decent music in the stores...

thanks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I use Amazon, and with a Prime membership you get a lot of freebie downloads. I used to use iTunes but I hate Apple, so I stopped.

But I can't remember the last time I actually downloaded music because we have Sirius, iHeart Radio, Pandora, YouTube, etc, that we listen to music on.

PeoplesElbow

Definitely amazon, also use their cloud storage for the songs so if your computer dies you still have the copy.

There is no copy protection on the Amazon songs you download either.

Shocker?

I'm new to the music download thing, any enlightenment? reliable sites, copyright protection coding, do/don'ts?

I'd like to download a "master copy" to my pc and then copy to phone, flash drive, etc. More than willing to pay, the musicians deserve as much. The CD market is drying-up, understandably, and it's hard to find decent music in the stores...

thanks!

I use Amazon and iTunes, usually whichever happens to be cheaper on a given song or album. Most of the time, at least in my experience, the pricing is the same. But often enough Amazon is a cheaper and occasionally iTunes is cheaper. They have different special deals at different times. If they have the same price on something I usually use iTunes because I buy iTunes gift cards for 20% off and always have a balance loaded onto my account, so everything I by through the Apple (digital content) stores is effectively 20% off the listed price. I'm not sure if it's easy to find Amazon digital content cards at a discount, but it wouldn't surprise me if you can find them as well. I think buying stuff through the Google store would work just as well.

At this point you shouldn't have to worry about copyright protection. I'm not aware of any such stores that still have DRM (Digital Rights Management) on the downloaded files for stuff that you buy. (Some of the subscription services still use DRM-ed files so that if you cancel your subscription you can't just keep all the music you downloaded.) And the file download format probably doesn't matter much to most people. Apple uses AAC which is a little bit more efficient encoding format than MP3 (which I think Amazon uses), particularly at lower bit rates. But the difference is something that won't matter to most people and in most circumstances, not now that most downloads are at a fairly robust bit rate (256 kbps +). So beyond price, the only thing that really matters is what apps you would be using to download or otherwise access your purchased music. Once they're downloaded, as you suggest you'd be doing, it shouldn't really matter where you got them from. For instance, even when I buy stuff from Amazon it is automatically added to my iTunes library and iCloud Music Library and if I want I can immediately re-download it in AAC format from just as though I'd bought it through iTunes.

If you use iTunes or are okay running it on your computer, then I'd say have accounts with Amazon and Apple (and maybe Google if you want) and buy stuff from whichever has it cheaper. If not, just get an account with Amazon and buy stuff from them. There won't be much stuff that you could have gotten cheaper elsewhere, and there won't be a whole lot of (semi-popular) stuff that you won't find on Amazon that you could have found elsewhere. There will be some. I've found some stuff on Amazon but not on iTunes and some stuff on iTunes but not on Amazon (more often the latter), but it isn't much popular or semi-popular stuff. And frankly, as the iTunes software has tried to do more and more stuff it's gotten less efficient and less stable. So I can understand some people preferring to not run it. Amazon's music download app is more dedicated, not as bloated. And you don't even have to use it in order to download from their store, you can download stuff through a browser window. They will suggest that you download and use their app though.

For most people I think it comes down to what ecosystem they're more comfortable with. What kinds of devices do you use? If you don't use any Apple stuff, then buy stuff through Amazon and/or Google. Like I suggested, once you've bought and downloaded the music it doesn't much matter where you got it from. And they all let you re-download stuff later on through their cloud services. When you buy something you basically get a check mark associated with your account (on their servers) that indicates that you own that particular content, so from then on you can download it for free - the best I can tell, as often as you want. It's always best to keep a backup copy on a hard drive or something in case something gets removed from the company's store, in which case you won't be able to download it again.

If you have specific questions or something doesn't make sense, feel free to ask.

Definitely amazon, also use their cloud storage for the songs so if your computer dies you still have the copy.

There is no copy protection on the Amazon songs you download either.

I don't think any of the digital music stores use DRM on (purchased) download files any more, they haven't for a while. Apple and others finally won that fight with the music industry. And I think they all allow you to re-download stuff that you've bought though some kind of (automatic) cloud service. Some of the smaller digital stores might work differently, but the major ones (e.g. Amazon, Google, iTunes) all work pretty similarly.

Their cloud services for user imported content work somewhat differently, but they're all pretty good as well.

I use Amazon, and with a Prime membership you get a lot of freebie downloads. I used to use iTunes but I hate Apple, so I stopped.

But I can't remember the last time I actually downloaded music because we have Sirius, iHeart Radio, Pandora, YouTube, etc, that we listen to music on.

Which streaming service that you've used do you like the best? And have you paid for any of them or do you just use the free versions?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which streaming service that you've used do you like the best? And have you paid for any of them or do you just use the free versions?

I like them all for different reasons. YouTube is for listening to a specific song, but now that we listen to radio instead of watching TV we're all about Sirius. I had paid IHeart for random listening but it eats the gigs and I don't have them to spare anymore.

Agee

Great info and Thank-You!

Relatively new to the smart phone thing (3 months). Android phone and finally gave-in to signing-up for a Google account. Realized you can't utilize much of the phones functionality without having a Google account... As much as I love music, I now realize the true goodness of Pandora and a wireless speaker (got a Great deal on a Harmon Karman)! What was I thinking :doh:

Anyhow, I also have a mp3 player (sansa fuze) and a new sound system in the jeep with USB capability (should of upgraded to the Bluetooth version). So hence the thought of downloading to a central spot and transferring files.

As always, I know where to go for sound advise!

Great info and Thank-You!

Relatively new to the smart phone thing (3 months). Android phone and finally gave-in to signing-up for a Google account. Realized you can't utilize much of the phones functionality without having a Google account... As much as I love music, I now realize the true goodness of Pandora and a wireless speaker (got a Great deal on a Harmon Karman)! What was I thinking :doh:

Anyhow, I also have a mp3 player (sansa fuze) and a new sound system in the jeep with USB capability (should of upgraded to the Bluetooth version). So hence the thought of downloading to a central spot and transferring files.

As always, I know where to go for sound advise!

Given that (and though some other circumstances could affect the advise that I'd give), I'd say...

Go ahead and set up an Amazon account and then look for whatever music you want in both the Google store and the Amazon store and buy each album or song from whoever has it at a better price at the time. You should be able to set up your Google account to upload the music you buy from Amazon so that you can have it all stored in one place that you can easily re-download it from (as well as having your originally downloaded copy).

When it comes to process questions, I'm sure there are plenty here who can help you if you need help along the way.