Jobs for Kids (under 13)

SamSpade

When I was a kid, a twelve year old could have a paper route (as I did). Paper routes are not only non-existent nowadays - mostly - but even motor routes are becoming obsolete, as home delivery is disappearing.

Does anyone know of something I could have my kid do? I'm trying to collect suggestions. He's a good kid but not very strong. I do give him work around the house, but I'm trying to give him some idea about working for someone else, and when he works for me, he doesn't seem to think the work is important. Also, I want to get an idea of what kind of work he shows aptitude for, since he has moderate to severe learning disabilities.

I guess I want an early start on him before he's old enough to have an actual job as a teen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I babysat, but nowadays 12 and 13 year old kids are required to *have* babysitters, not be them.

I also detassled corn in the summer, but you all don't do that around here. Maybe he could do odd jobs for neighbors?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Off the top of my head, yard work, car washing, dog walking and/or bathing.

Freefaller

When I was a kid, a twelve year old could have a paper route (as I did). Paper routes are not only non-existent nowadays - mostly - but even motor routes are becoming obsolete, as home delivery is disappearing.

Does anyone know of something I could have my kid do? I'm trying to collect suggestions. He's a good kid but not very strong. I do give him work around the house, but I'm trying to give him some idea about working for someone else, and when he works for me, he doesn't seem to think the work is important. Also, I want to get an idea of what kind of work he shows aptitude for, since he has moderate to severe learning disabilities.

I guess I want an early start on him before he's old enough to have an actual job as a teen.

Can he use a Lawnmower? When I was a kid I made very good summer money in my neighborhood cutting and trimming lawns. I wish there was a kid in my neighborhood doing it. I'd hire him in a minute! I set my own time and I had regular customers.

lovinmaryland

Can he use a Lawnmower? When I was a kid I made very good summer money in my neighborhood cutting and trimming lawns. I wish there was a kid in my neighborhood doing it. I'd hire him in a minute! I set my own time and I had regular customers.

^^^ this ^^^

my boys walk around the neighborhood offering to cut grass, weed whack, rake leaves, etc... they make pretty good money too!

PeoplesElbow

I mowed grass, in the springtime I was clearing a couple hundred a week. I did a good job, was reliable and hard working and my grass clients started asking me to wash and wax cars, put out mulch etc for them.

pelers

Outside yard work odd jobs is a great one. I have an electric lawn mower (with cord) that is super lightweight and easy to push. Hardest part is flinging around the cord so you don't mow it. I think my 100ft cord is heavier than the mower, actually...

Raking leaves, pulling weeds, washing cars, weed whacking (again, battery operated ones are really lightweight). Maybe for people you know and trust he could help out with inside housework? Vacuuming, etc.

How is he with kids? There are some days that I would kill for somebody to come play with my kids and keep them occupied for an hour or two while I get things done around the house without them all up in my business. Not full on babysitting, but like play with them out in the yard or something while the parent is doing whatever inside. "Mother's Helper" type gig.