Steamed Crabs

luvmygdaughters

Thinking about going to the Drift Inn on Mothers Day, just curious what the going price is for a dozen crabs. Has anyone bought from a local place yet? If so, how were they and how expensive? Thanks.

stew77

I saw a sign @ Kevins Corner (Leonardtown) for $40.00 for a dozen #1 males. IF I were buying, I would check around to the Drift Inn, SeaBreeze, Sandgates, Capt Leonards, Gilligans, Capt Billys, Clarks Landing, .... They will all be with in $10.00 to $20.00 per dozen of each other?? If you want them already cooked and want to do it at your own house.. Call Sharon's Place, Farrells Fresh Seafood: Corner of 234...Their trailer is there and you can call them..301-769-3505.

Chris0nllyn

I got a doz. mixed males for $40 (IIRC). This was 2 weeks or so ago, already steamed take out from Calvert Crabs.

luvmygdaughters

We went to the Drift Inn on Mothers Day. Crabs were outstanding (as always), a little pricey though, $ 50.00 a dozen. The Drift Inn always throws in an extra crab or two when you order a dozen, so its really not that bad. All were good sized and heavy

BlueSunday

Celebrated my daughter in-laws birthday yesterday at Capt John's Restaurant in Cobb Island and had a great time .Not being a crab picker but a crab eater is tuff but all the others that were there said they were full ,meaty and of nice weight we had a few dozen and they were $49 a dozen.Cream of crab soup and their crab cake were excellent.A good time was had by all.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
$49 and $50 a dozen? Ouch... I'm looking forward to some cheaper prices this summer, if predictions for the harvest volume hold up.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
$49 and $50 a dozen? Ouch... I'm looking forward to some cheaper prices this summer, if predictions for the harvest volume hold up.

Having lived in the days when a bushel of #1 males was relatively cheap it's REALLY, REALLY hard to dish out that kind of cash for a simple dozen. I rarely eat crabs anymore because I'm too stubborn to pay the current prices.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Having lived in the days when a bushel of #1 males was relatively cheap it's REALLY, REALLY hard to dish out that kind of cash for a simple dozen. I rarely eat crabs anymore because I'm too stubborn to pay the current prices.
I'm the same way, Sister.

I recall my dad catching #1's and selling them for $25 a bushel. He'd toss the female's right back in to the water.

Those were the days.

Now, I'm much too cheap to pay the prices that they are getting for crabs. :nomoney:

BlueSunday

The kids said the price should come down if it's a good year.

luvmygdaughters

Yep, I remember my dad setting out crabpots, putting the males he caught in a livebox and feeding them all week. By the weekend, we had some fat, delicious crabs. I'm expecting the price to come down after July 4th. We expected to pay a pretty penny for them on Mothers Day, as it was early in the season. They were freaking fantastic though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I saw a recipe for grilling crabs...never would have thought of that.

I just saw that the other day too!..the one where you take the top shell off an clean 'em and then season and grill with bottom shell down? Looked appetizing...but I'm stuck on my steamer..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I just saw that the other day too!..the one where you take the top shell off an clean 'em and then season and grill with bottom shell down? Looked appetizing...but I'm stuck on my steamer..

While they are alive!?!

Blister

A fellow just told me the other day that his Grandpaw up in Deale used to stab 'em with an icepick. Shell and clean them like you just said, then layer them in a steamer seasoning each layer. He said you could almost double the # of crabs per steamer, seasoning went all thru the meat, and half of the job of picking was already done for you.