Sliding Screen Door

pelers

So I'd like to put a screen door on my patio door. Problem is the bottom rail on the slider is weird. I got the screen door from Lowes and with the current bottom rail in there it won't fit. I'm not sure if this piece is supposed to come out or what. My builder is bankrupt. The door manufacturer was bought out by another company. The guys at Lowes and 84 Lumber think that Dean Lumber probably sold the builder this door, but they're closed until Monday and I'm impatient.

Anyway, going to post some pictures of the rail. If anyone has any ideas... help? Please?

Attachments

• 20160430_143612.jpg
    20160430_143612.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 20160430_130452.jpg
    20160430_130452.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 258

pelers

Got it figured out. That outer piece pops off. The builders caulked it in upside down. Screen door installed!

PeoplesElbow

Got it figured out. That outer piece pops off. The builders caulked it in upside down. Screen door installed!

It is amazing how much builders get wrong and don't care. I know someone who had to remove and replace an entire outer wall of their three year old house because the builder did not use flashing.

pelers

It is amazing how much builders get wrong and don't care. I know someone who had to remove and replace an entire outer wall of their three year old house because the builder did not use flashing.

It's awful. The little nitpicky things I've had to fix over the last few years drive me bonkers. My neighbors have two lights outside of their back slider, one on each side of the door. They're not level with each other. Not even close! It's just so many little things like that.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It's awful. The little nitpicky things I've had to fix over the last few years drive me bonkers. My neighbors have two lights outside of their back slider, one on each side of the door. They're not level with each other. Not even close! It's just so many little things like that.

Offer to help fix said problem perhaps?

pelers

Offer to help fix said problem perhaps?

Beyond my skillset. Would have to replace siding, redo electrical wiring, and who knows what else. I know when I replaced the fixture on my light out back the wires were so short I almost wasn't able to get it rewired. One of those lights would have to be moved a good 6 inches to be level.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I guess as long as the lights are not shining into any of your windows; no harm no foul? Or is their not being level causing that exact problem?

It amazes me that di-it-yourselfers; even some professionals simply eyeball level. 'Aw, that's close enough.' I was taught, whenever possible use the proper tools to check for level/plumb.

Last edited:

pelers

I guess as long as the lights are not shining into any of your windows; no harm no foul? Or is their not being level causing that exact problem?

It amazes me that di-it-yourselfers; even some professionals simply eyeball level. 'Aw, that's close enough.' I was taught, whenever possible use the proper tools to check for level/plumb.

Oh the only problem is that they are crooked and it's aggravating to look at, but not aggravating enough to deal with fixing it. It's not even close and with the siding and the patio door you COULD have easily eyeballed it and made them level. It was pure sloppiness on the builder's part.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Oh the only problem is that they are crooked and it's aggravating to look at, but not aggravating enough to deal with fixing it. It's not even close and with the siding and the patio door you COULD have easily eyeballed it and made them level. It was pure sloppiness on the builder's part.

Crooked houses. I know that they were prevalent in the '60's. I wonder about the houses built since the 80's; if they are built like they're supposed to be; with square walls and level floors; or are they also just slapped together.

pelers

Crooked houses. I know that they were prevalent in the '60's. I wonder about the houses built since the 80's; if they are built like they're supposed to be; with square walls and level floors; or are they also just slapped together.

Slapped together still, depending on the builder (at least I hope there are some builders out there who don't do this). Mine was built 2008 or so.