Genesis 24 Will she go?

seekeroftruth

The Bible does seem to be redundant once in a while. The servant had to tell Laban and Bethuel what brought him there. It had to be word for word and it's pretty much a word for word repeat of what we have been reading between Abraham and the servant as well as everything that happened at the well. So if you would like to read it.... go to Genesis 24:34-49. I'm going on with the story.

Genesis 24:50 Laban and Bethuel answered, “This is from the Lord; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. 51 Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master’s son, as the Lord has directed.”

52 When Abraham’s servant heard what they said, he bowed down to the ground before the Lord. 53 Then the servant brought out gold and silver jewelry and articles of clothing and gave them to Rebekah; he also gave costly gifts to her brother and to her mother. 54 Then he and the men who were with him ate and drank and spent the night there.

When they got up the next morning, he said, “Send me on my way to my master.”

55 But her brother and her mother replied, “Let the young woman remain with us ten days or so; then you[e] may go.”

56 But he said to them, “Do not detain me, now that the Lord has granted success to my journey. Send me on my way so I may go to my master.”

57 Then they said, “Let’s call the young woman and ask her about it.” 58 So they called Rebekah and asked her, “Will you go with this man?”

“I will go,” she said.​

e. Genesis 24:55 Or she

This is from studylight.org.

In light of the evident hand of Gods providence, and the wealth of the servants master, the answer seemed obvious to Rebekahs brother and father.

He also gave precious things to her brother and to her mother: When an agreement of marriage had been made, it was customary for the bridegroom (or his representative) to give the family of the bride gifts as a dowry to demonstrate his financial ability to provide for the bride.​

I have to admit.... every time I read verse 55 I think of Moses and how many years he had to work to get his bride. Then I realize this is Isaac's wife we are talking about. It also gets me that Rebekah is willing to leave her home and travel to marry a man she has never laid eyes on. I'd want to at least see his facebook page... right? That was the custom....

:coffee: