Wood Pellets 2016

MR47930

Its the time of the year (minus the cold weather and all) where I like to plan on buying my wood pellets for the following winter. Last year we were able to score a good price on pellets during a Memorial Day sale. With the above average temps this winter, I would think stores would have excess and try to get rid of stock but I haven't seen any sales yet this spring. Any other pellet burners planning on stocking up soon? When/where are you going?

Vince

I have about a half ton left. That will get me started in the fall. I usually wait until then to order another ton.

MR47930

I have about a half ton left. That will get me started in the fall. I usually wait until then to order another ton.
I have just over 2 tons left out of 5 1/2 to start the winter. Like I said the warm winter and hotter burning pellets left me with a stash remaining. I compared the prices and they were about $20 cheaper when I bought them during memorial day last year to what they were selling them for in the fall. They also gave me free delivery last year and that wasn't the case in the fall either.

Its the time of the year (minus the cold weather and all) where I like to plan on buying my wood pellets for the following winter. Last year we were able to score a good price on pellets during a Memorial Day sale. With the above average temps this winter, I would think stores would have excess and try to get rid of stock but I haven't seen any sales yet this spring. Any other pellet burners planning on stocking up soon? When/where are you going?

I burned about 4 tons and don't have much left. In the past, I bought from Dunkirk Supply but they were getting the run around from Lignetics. They told me that they will not be selling pellets anymore.

I got mine from Leonardtown Ace and didn't get a break on the price. $260 as I recall. I do know that Dave's (behind the Loveville Post office) had plenty and still had pallets of them last week. They aren't offering a discount and they have been (covered with a tarp) but out in the elements all year.

There didn't seem to be a shortage this year but the prices have gone up a lot in the past few years. I'll follow this post and post if I see any deals.

Vince

I have just over 2 tons left out of 5 1/2 to start the winter. Like I said the warm winter and hotter burning pellets left me with a stash remaining. I compared the prices and they were about $20 cheaper when I bought them during memorial day last year to what they were selling them for in the fall. They also gave me free delivery last year and that wasn't the case in the fall either.
I usually burn 2 to 2 1/2 tons for the winter depending on how cold it gets. 4 bedroom Cape Cod.

MR47930

I burned about 4 tons and don't have much left. In the past, I bought from Dunkirk Supply but they were getting the run around from Lignetics. They told me that they will not be selling pellets anymore.

I got mine from Leonardtown Ace and didn't get a break on the price. $260 as I recall. I do know that Dave's (behind the Loveville Post office) had plenty and still had pallets of them last week. They aren't offering a discount and they have been (covered with a tarp) but out in the elements all year.

There didn't seem to be a shortage this year but the prices have gone up a lot in the past few years. I'll follow this post and post if I see any deals.

I live in Calvert and I've bought my pellets from Sneads, 231 Farm Center and Superior Fireplace. I know there is a hearth shop in St Leonard but I've never been in there. I prefer the Hamer pellets over the Lignetics and the only place I've found them is at Sneads.

MR47930

Just picked up 3 tons of Hamers at Sneads last night. $765 total which includes delivery, so $255 a ton which is a great price for those pellets. Ill have just over 5 tons going into next winter. One less thing to worry about this fall.

OldHillcrestGuy

I live in Calvert and I've bought my pellets from Sneads, 231 Farm Center and Superior Fireplace. I know there is a hearth shop in St Leonard but I've never been in there. I prefer the Hamer pellets over the Lignetics and the only place I've found them is at Sneads.

The place in St. Leonard is owned by a young fella, really really nice guy. He did a repair on my stove during the winter months, unfortunately it again had a problem in early March so we just stopped us it. I had 3 tons to the start the winter and I was down to a 1/2 ton when the stove went out of service. As chilly as April and May have been I would have run out of pellets. My stove is 10 years old and I'm considering replacing it depending on just how much this new problem will cost me. I'm having it looked at this weekend by Austin who is the St. Leonard owner who is going to give it the yearly cleaning and to checkout what the problem is. If its going to be major I may just end up replacing it.
I used Southern States pellets which are Hamers in a SS bag, no problems at all. Ive used the Hamers in past years a prefer them then Lignetics.

MR47930

The place in St. Leonard is owned by a young fella, really really nice guy. He did a repair on my stove during the winter months, unfortunately it again had a problem in early March so we just stopped us it. I had 3 tons to the start the winter and I was down to a 1/2 ton when the stove went out of service. As chilly as April and May have been I would have run out of pellets. My stove is 10 years old and I'm considering replacing it depending on just how much this new problem will cost me. I'm having it looked at this weekend by Austin who is the St. Leonard owner who is going to give it the yearly cleaning and to checkout what the problem is. If its going to be major I may just end up replacing it.
I used Southern States pellets which are Hamers in a SS bag, no problems at all. Ive used the Hamers in past years a prefer them then Lignetics.
I like the Hamers the best as well. I'll have to give him a call to do our end of season cleaning. We have a Harman stove and I noticed that he doesn't sell them but the website says he can work on any brand. Ill have to go into his store one day, I try to support the local businesses as much as I can.

qbee

I usually burn 2 to 2 1/2 tons for the winter depending on how cold it gets. 4 bedroom Cape Cod.

High jacking the thread while were on the pellet stove discussion...

We're looking into getting a pellet stove to heat our 4 bedroom cape code and was wondering if you had tied it into the ducting system?

If so, how did you do it?

Did you have someone install the stove?

We're looking into getting a pellet stove to heat our 4 bedroom cape code and was wondering if you had tied it into the ducting system?

Typically, they are not tied into the ducts. They use convection, circulating air. I would expect that one designed to tie into a duct would be fairly expensive. Typical pellet stoves (decent ones) are between $1500 and $5000.

MR47930

We did not have it tied into the ductwork, we replaced a gas insert fireplace with a pellet insert. Our home is 2,500 sq ft, not including the basement (which is underground so no worries about freezing) and its pretty open so the heat spreads out nicely. We did have a company come and do the install. As GW mentioned they can be pricy, we opted for a top of the line model in the Harman. After speaking with friends who have other models we're glad we spent the extra money on the Harman.

TPD

the poor dad
We've got a special on Lignetics wood pellets for the next week or so - $225 per ton picked up at our place of business. If you don't know what my business is, send a message to me.

We've got a special on Lignetics wood pellets for the next week or so - $225 per ton picked up at our place of business. If you don't know what my business is, send a message to me.

Damn. Good deal, but I need 4 tons and I can't transport more than 1/2 ton at a time. And it's too hot to load and unload one bag let alone 50.

MR47930

Great price. The Lignetics burned great in our Harman. Would buy more if I could fit another bag in our garage. We have almost 5 tons stacked to the ceiling.

OldHillcrestGuy

Bring on the cold weather, I'm ready had my 3 tons delivered and stacked in the garage from Southern States today. Its worth paying the very modest delivery price and have someone else do all the hard labor. Having my 3rd back surgery in less then 3yrs. just this past Monday, I just cant do all that heavy lifting like I once was could.

Clem72

Since the thread popped back up, and I have been thinking about a pellet stove lately, can anyone tell me if they save money using one vs. using a gas furnace?

I think I read someone here using 3 tons (at $255 a ton) for a winter. I think my winter heating bill is ~100 a month, so it doesn't seem like it would be cost effective. Of course having the stove itself to cozy up to is nice.

Christy

b*tch rocket
What places deliver in St. Mary's (or to St. Mary's). We typically get ours from Tractor Supply, and pick them up ourselves, but it sure would be nice to just get a couple tons delivered.

dave1959

Since the thread popped back up, and I have been thinking about a pellet stove lately, can anyone tell me if they save money using one vs. using a gas furnace? I think I read someone here using 3 tons (at $255 a ton) for a winter. I think my winter heating bill is ~100 a month, so it doesn't seem like it would be cost effective. Of course having the stove itself to cozy up to is nice.

We have had ours for about 6-7 years.. I tell people that I don't think it really any cheaper , but for the money spent I am warm !!!

dave1959

What places deliver in St. Mary's (or to St. Mary's). We typically get ours from Tractor Supply, and pick them up ourselves, but it sure would be nice to just get a couple tons delivered.

Mechanicsville Bldg supply delivers but I bout know details.