Manure bath...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why do dogs LOVE rolling in the freshest, nastiest, most vile stuff they can find????

I've got my girlfriends pup with me today, golden doodle, real joy of a farm dog in her heart. Run, play, chase critters, all that. But, that damnable coat and she LOVES getting pestilence ALL OVER herself.

I'm starting to think she's Germans...

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Our Lab finds the nastiest stuff to roll in also. Manure of any animal she finds or once she rolled in seafood something or another. My neighbor does crabs and I'm not sure if it was some that died or nasty water but that was horrible.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
My lab is a bit stinky to begin with. One day he found a rotting bluefish carcass on the beach. I have never in my 48 years smelled anything as rank as that dog on that day!

Roman

Dogs do that instinctively to mask their smell to potential prey. My dogs not only roll in horse pooh, they eat it too.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why do dogs LOVE rolling in the freshest, nastiest, most vile stuff they can find????

I've got my girlfriends pup with me today, golden doodle, real joy of a farm dog in her heart. Run, play, chase critters, all that. But, that damnable coat and she LOVES getting pestilence ALL OVER herself.

I'm starting to think she's Germans...

Similar question, why does my dog think that the cat's litter box is full of tootsie rolls?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Why do they eat it?

I've read that due to their sense of smell and base instinct that they smell the food that made the poop; therefore, they think they're eating a nice tasty morsel. Thank God I've never witnessed my dog doing that. The worst I saw from him was him eating his own puke. I have to monitor the amount he eats in one sitting. He will eat until he pukes and then eat again. The only bright side to his high food drive is that he was easy to train.

PJay

I've read that due to their sense of smell and base instinct that they smell the food that made the poop; therefore, they think they're eating a nice tasty morsel. Thank God I've never witnessed my dog doing that. The worst I saw from him was him eating his own puke. I have to monitor the amount he eats in one sitting. He will eat until he pukes and then eat again. The only bright side to his high food drive is that he was easy to train.

Thanks R1. I've read many reasons why they may, just wondered what Roman would say about hers. Mine never ate hers. What breed is your dog?