Corporate image

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Why would a company allow an employee to wear something that had a good possibility of pissing off some customers? Clearly someone in a management position had to look at that hat and say WTF. Don't companies have employee handbooks that handle these kinds of incidents?

Seems this gal is making a point about Donald Trump's presidential aspirations. Some company made that hat for her. Hey anything for a buck.

Now that Ms. Lake has poked the bear she's starting to feel the burn. She's claiming that she's gotten death threats for her fashion statement. I'm sure this is an attempt by her to land another job with some social justice group.

A Staten Island woman who supports Senator Bernie Sanders said she received death threats after photos of her wearing a cap with the message “America Was Never Great” were posted widely on social media.The woman, Krystal Lake, 22, said Thursday that she had ordered the custom-made hat online with the phrase, a play on the slogan “Make America Great Again,” popularized by the campaign of Donald J. Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

image.jpg

dumbazz

Attachments

• hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 254

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The question ought to be asked of trump 'when was America great and why?'

Maybe the corporation could be asked the same thing.

glhs837

Power with Control
The question ought to be asked of trump 'when was America great and why?'

Maybe the corporation could be asked the same thing.

Doesn't matter to this point, does it. When you go to work, leave your politics at the door. Just like your religion.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can chase that rabbit around the yard all day, but that hat is a political statement that she decided to take to work. Nobody forced her. It's not her job to incite political debate, it's her job to sell lumber. If HD want to paste Trump signs, they can do that, its' their property. And if people ont like it, they can go shop at Lowes. AS I recall, Hechinger had a similar problem. So I'm not sure what rights and protections you have in mind. If she doesnt like HDs politics, she can seek work elsewhere.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, didn't read the link?

Spoon feed me, I did read it, but I dont see in there where anyone is affording the company any more rights than what she has. She has the right to wear what she wants, they have the right to set a corporate dress code for employees, who represent them when they are working. As we see, HD has been dragged into a debate they want no part of. Maybe the lady who wants a position in media is off to a good start, maybe?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Spoon feed me, I did read it, but I dont see in there where anyone is affording the company any more rights than what she has. She has the right to wear what she wants, they have the right to set a corporate dress code for employees, who represent them when they are working. As we see, HD has been dragged into a debate they want no part of. Maybe the lady who wants a position in media is off to a good start, maybe?

The op reffered to corporate image as though people simply can't see a hat at a store and separate her views from corporate policy. I think companies have quite enough power as it is without encouraging them to exert even more.

glhs837

Power with Control
The op reffered to corporate image as though people simply can't see a hat at a store and separate her views from corporate policy. I think companies have quite enough power as it is without encouraging them to exert even more.

Are you saying they should not be allowed to limit political speech by employees while engaged in the business they are being paid to conduct?

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, that's what this is. :tap:

My point it that it obviously offended customers, HD probably has a dress code that prohibits political dress during work, which this obviously is.

Some people may not even realize it is related to Donald Trump but some employees dislike of America. If you haven't noticed HD and Lowes go all stars and stripes around Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day because it makes them money.

Why shouldn't a business be able to set a dress code for its employees? It is simply because you don't like "big"?

Lets back it up a notch, would you want your employees wearing Trump or Clinton shirts knowing either will annoy potential customers?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Out of every problem I've had this year this is, so far, the lowest priority.

You got that backwards. The problems we have, all of them, are directly related to the primacy we give corporations over citizens. Politics, war, immigration, health, wall street.

glhs837

Power with Control
Look, if you know hd, they promote this personalization of the orange apron everyone wears.
It's a hat.

It's a political bumper sticker for her head.

"Home Depot spokesman Stephen Holmes spokesman told Business Insider that it's against company policy for employees to wear items that reflect political statements, regardless of candidate or party. "

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
It's a political bumper sticker for her head.

"Home Depot spokesman Stephen Holmes spokesman told Business Insider that it's against company policy for employees to wear items that reflect political statements, regardless of candidate or party. "

Period. End of discussion.