3,400 lionfish speared in invasive fish removal project

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
These fish are believed to be descendants of fish that escaped during hurricane Andrew. All fish are thought to be from a group of 8 to 12 original breeders. An annual tournament attempts to cull the fish to manageable numbers. Humans are their only predator here in US waters. Some people say the fish is delicious.

The Northeast Florida Lionfish Blast has officially ended as of 4:00 PM May 14th, 2016.
It was a great month of diving with clean water and calm seas which was a huge factor in the removal of 3478 lionfish from our local waters.

hear me roar

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
These fish are believed to be descendants of fish that escaped during hurricane Andrew. All fish are thought to be from a group of 8 to 12 original breeders. An annual tournament attempts to cull the fish to manageable numbers. Humans are their only predator here in US waters. Some people say the fish is delicious.

hear me roar

They are delicious.....

Blister

As for our local invasive species, I tried Snakehead for the first time yesterday. It is a firm, nicely textured fish, with very little natural flavor. It is probably is good when well seasoned, or fried, or blackened, but almost tasteless when broiled with butter and lightly seasoned.