Black Market ride-sharing pervasive after Austin, TX boots out Uber/Lyft

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/23/black-market-ride-sharing-uber-lyft/

AUSTIN — Almost as soon as Uber and Lyft pulled out of Austin two weeks ago, a black market for unregulated ride-sharing emerged to meet the huge demand for transportation here.

Tens of thousands of riders and drivers are now connecting through Facebook and Craigslist, sidestepping onerous city regulations passed late last year aimed at traditional ride-sharing companies like Uber and Lyft that required drivers to be fingerprinted, among other things.

When a ballot proposal that would have replaced the city ordinance failed, Uber and Lyft left town as promised. Since May 9, there have been no ride-sharing services available in this city of almost a million people. Getting around town has become almost impossible unless you own a car.

I can't wait to see how this goes with the armed agents of the State:

Cop: Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?

Citizen: <silence>

Cop: I stopped you because you are suspected of GIVING SOMEONE A RIDE IN EXCHANGE FOR MONEY. You are a MONSTER and need to be taken off the streets...

I'm OK with kicking out Uber/Lyft actually. There is no reason those two concerns should be the only two blessed by goobermint to engage in these sorts of activities. If you own a car, you can start your own taxi company. There is no need for government permission at all, in fact.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why did Uber and Lyft pull out? You'd think there'd be a huge market in Austin, of all places. Was it some regulating thing?

LibertyBeacon

Nope. Don't care enough to read the story, I'm just curious why they no longer operate in Austin.

Sorry, I don't give handouts. You will find your answer in the article. Perhaps someone else will give you the Cliffs Notes, but it won't be me.

:shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You can do it! I know you can!

Right, but I don't want to. Most of what you post and link to is stupid leftwing propaganda, and I don't like to waste my time with that crap. All I want to know is why Uber and Lyft no longer operate in Austin. So I will google that and not bother with whatever nonsense you think is pertinent, because I'm sure it's not. It never is.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
30 seconds later:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/t...otest-fingerprint-background-checks.html?_r=0

They don't want to do background checks on their drivers. So Uber and Lyft are run by ignorant hippies and not real businesses, which means people shouldn't use them anyway because they do not screen their drivers and passenger safety isn't important to them.

This is the same way I feel about those "come stay at my house" places, like AirBNB. They are not regulated, or checked out in any meaningful way, by the "company" and customers end up in all sorts of strange (and dangerous) situations. You're basically couch surfing with strangers on the internet, and that does not seem like the best idea anyone's ever had. Same with having some stranger on the internet come pick your drunk ass up and give you a ride home. Not a good idea.

TheLibertonian

30 seconds later:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/t...otest-fingerprint-background-checks.html?_r=0

They don't want to do background checks on their drivers. So Uber and Lyft are run by ignorant hippies and not real businesses, which means people shouldn't use them anyway because they do not screen their drivers and passenger safety isn't important to them.

This is the same way I feel about those "come stay at my house" places, like AirBNB. They are not regulated, or checked out in any meaningful way, by the "company" and customers end up in all sorts of strange (and dangerous) situations. You're basically couch surfing with strangers on the internet, and that does not seem like the best idea anyone's ever had. Same with having some stranger on the internet come pick your drunk ass up and give you a ride home. Not a good idea.

I didn't know you were so in favor of government regulation of private businesses.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Right, but I don't want to. Most of what you post and link to is stupid leftwing propaganda, and I don't like to waste my time with that crap. All I want to know is why Uber and Lyft no longer operate in Austin. So I will google that and not bother with whatever nonsense you think is pertinent, because I'm sure it's not. It never is.

I'll take a SWAG;

because the leftists running Austin at the behest of the Taxi Companies paid [campaign donations] them to

LibertyBeacon

30 seconds later:

:golfclap:

See, I just knew you had it in you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I didn't know you were so in favor of government regulation of private businesses.

A real business has a responsibility to its customers' safety.

You know, this may come as a shock to you, but you can go on the internet on a number of websites and solicit someone to give you a ride or put you up for the night. You don't need a "business" to do that. You can jump right on Craigslist and post your need, and any number of strangers on the internet will be happy to help you out, one way or the other.