So. Md. Family of 8 Off to Philippines for Missionary Work

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: So. Md. Family of 8 Off to Philippines for Missionary Work

Date: 05-24-2016 07:57 PM

Summary: Husband and wife Jeff and Emily Weimert with their six children T'aunie, 13, Byron, 12, Josiah, 12, Selah, 10, Trinity, 9, and Avigail, 5, will be moving to the Philippines as missionaries.

Click here for the full story...

TheLibertonian

I've always wondered about this. Aren't the phillipines super christian/ Isn't this the country where as part of a yearly festival people literally nail themselves to crosses to try and show their faith?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What is it that you are "wondering"? Various churches (and other groups) send volunteers to third-world countries to help/work with a wide array of civic projects.

TheLibertonian

What is it that you are "wondering"? Various churches (and other groups) send volunteers to third-world countries to help/work with a wide array of civic projects.

Missionaries are people who go to convert people to a religion. That is what a missionary is.

They do other things but the underlying goal is to promote the religion.

I'm curious why it's called missionary work if it's stripped of all religious context as you suggest.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Missionaries are people who go to convert people to a religion. That is what a missionary is.

Good grief. Since you insist on being ignorant, as usual....check out these missionary jobs..and make note that they are actually called that too .."missionary jobs". Most of thes orgs are simply "just another NGO", doing the same sorts of things that the many NGOs not affiliated with a religion are doing out there. Even the Peace Corps...

http://www.christiancareercenter.com/jobs/index.php?action=search&order_by=&ord=&2=&16=&14=&17=&6=172&search=Find

As a somewhat ironic addendum to your original comment...religous NGOs in modern times only send their people in to "Christian friendly" countries...i.e...the ones where all the "converting" was done long ago.

TheLibertonian

Good grief. Since you insist on being ignorant, as usual....check out these missionary jobs..and make note that they are actually called that too .."missionary jobs". Most of thes orgs are simply "just another NGO", doing the same sorts of things that the many NGOs not affiliated with a religion are doing out there. Even the Peace Corps...

http://www.christiancareercenter.com/jobs/index.php?action=search&order_by=&ord=&2=&16=&14=&17=&6=172&search=Find

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary

"A missionary is a member of a religious group sent into an area to proselytize and/or perform ministries of service, such as education, literacy, social justice, health care, and economic development."

So you're saying missionaries are not inherently religious?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary

"A missionary is a member of a religious group sent into an area to proselytize and/or perform ministries of service, such as education, literacy, social justice, health care, and economic development."

So you're saying missionaries are not inherently religious?

As a somewhat ironic addendum to your original comment...religous NGOs in modern times only send their people in to "Christian friendly" countries...i.e...the ones where all the "converting" was done long ago.

TheLibertonian

Which was my original question. Why would you send missionaries to Christian countries.

Shouldn't they be sent to heathenish places?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why would you send missionaries to Christian countries.

Because the longest list of "missionary work" is focused on helping improve things in third-world countries, mostly Christian ones (or Christians areas in one) ? Did you even bother to scroll through that list of "missionary jobs" listed??

Years ago, a friend of mine joined a church that required missionary service. He spent the better part of a year in some country (I've forgotten) building houses.

TheLibertonian

Because the longest list of "missionary work" is focused on helping improve things in third-world countries, mostly Christian ones (or Christians areas in one) ? Did you even bother to scroll through that list of "missionary jobs" listed??

So they're just secular volunteers driven by religious beliefs who are in no way spreading the word of their religion? If I were to ask this family patriarch why they are doing this the words or any permutation of 'to spread the word of God" would never leave his lips?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So they're just secular volunteers driven by religious beliefs who are in no way spreading the word of their religion? If I were to ask this family patriarch why they are doing this the words or any permutation of 'to spread the word of God" would never leave his lips?

Do you ever make any sense? Did you scroll through the list of missionary jobs I linked to?

Years ago, a friend of mine joined a church that required missionary service. He spent the better part of a year in some country (I've forgotten) building houses.

TheLibertonian

Do you ever make any sense? Did you scroll through the list of missionary jobs I linked to?

Did he build the houses because he wanted to based on his religion?

TheLibertonian

Well duh..except for that was his assigned job. ...Did you scroll through the list of missionary jobs I linked to?

So all missionary jobs are about spreading the word of god through good works? I thought protestants rejected the principal of good works.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Of course.

As an atheist if I told them that would they allow me to go do missionary work?

As an atheist, would you be a member of a church?

Peace Corp would take you though...especially if you had any skills to offer that they are looking for. Same jobs the churches do...but without the religious connection. Go for it. ;-)

This_person

So all missionary jobs are about spreading the word of god through good works? I thought protestants rejected the principal of good works.

You're mixing motives and thoughts - not a new thing.

In the Old Testament, there's Proverbs.
Proverbs 21:3 said:
To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

This implied that one could enter the kingdom of heaven through good works.

Protestants listen to Jesus more than disciples.
Matthew 5:16 said:
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
In other words, instead of doing good works to get into heaven, you do good works for the religious purpose of glorifying God.

This is sola fide. Sola fide says that faith, by itself, will generate good works. This is very different from good works gaining God's good graces.

So, a missionary who builds houses is, by his very definition of his work, doing good works because of his religious beliefs, and is spreading the Gospel through his good deeds. He is doing this as a way to glorify God.

This is a difficult thing for an atheist to grasp, I imagine, because atheism is inherently narcissistic, believing man to be the be all and end all of things, and self-interest being the only motivation. but, I tried to word it as simplistically as I could to help with understanding.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As an atheist, would you be a member of a church?

Peace Corp would take you though...especially if you had any skills to offer that they are looking for. Same jobs the churches do...but without the religious connection. Go for it. ;-)

I admire your patience. I had a tart response on the tip of my fingers several posts ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is a difficult thing for an atheist to grasp, I imagine, because atheism is inherently narcissistic, believing man to be the be all and end all of things, and self-interest being the only motivation. but, I tried to word it as simplistically as I could to help with understanding.

There was no need to be universally insulting to atheists. I am an atheist and I understand missionary work just fine, and I also understand why religious groups get involved in it.

:smack:

If stupid people think mission work is all about converting the savages to Christianity, it's because they're stupid, not because they're atheists.

NOT TO MENTION there are a number of non-religious missionary organizations out there, so your assertion that one must be religious in order to want to help someone else is WRONG.