What do we want? No midterms or grades lower than a C!

More than 1,300 students at the Midwestern liberal arts college have now signed a petition asking that the college get rid of any grade below a C for the semester, and some students are requesting alternatives to the standard written midterm examination, such as a conversation with a professor in lieu of an essay.

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult. "A lot of us worked alongside community members in Cleveland who were protesting," Megan Bautista, a co-liaison in Oberlin's student government, said, referring to the protests surrounding the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by a police officer in 2014. "But we needed to organize on campus as well — it wasn't sustainable to keep driving 40 minutes away. A lot of us started suffering academically."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/626361/oberlin-students-want-abolish-midterms-grades-below-c

tommyjo

More than 1,300 students at the Midwestern liberal arts college have now signed a petition asking that the college get rid of any grade below a C for the semester, and some students are requesting alternatives to the standard written midterm examination, such as a conversation with a professor in lieu of an essay.

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult. "A lot of us worked alongside community members in Cleveland who were protesting," Megan Bautista, a co-liaison in Oberlin's student government, said, referring to the protests surrounding the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by a police officer in 2014. "But we needed to organize on campus as well — it wasn't sustainable to keep driving 40 minutes away. A lot of us started suffering academically."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/626361/oberlin-students-want-abolish-midterms-grades-below-c

Very interesting that you neglected to post the very next line...

The student activists' request doesn't come without precedence: In the 1970s, Oberlin adjusted its grading to accommodate student activists protesting the Vietnam War and the Kent State shootings

Hijinx

They should have stayed in school and studied then as they should have stayed in school and studied now.

Why do they attend college. So they can protest or so they can learn.
There is plenty of time for protest after they leave college.
No: IMO this college protest thing is only a part of the college fun. How many of them join in protest after college?
Right after they leave the college BS they get jobs, they get married, they go home and start their lives.

Most of them grow up.

They don't have the fraternity or the sorrority, or the same friends who would rather go to the streets than study.

Radiant1

Soul Probe

Who cares if it was done before, it's stupid and makes a mockery of the school. If I were an employer and an alumni applied to my company I'd trash it in a heartbeat because their graduating from that particular school doesn't mean squat as to their education level or abilities.

Amused_despair

The fact that these precious little flowers would even ask such a thing is an indictment on their parents and their upbringing. You want to make a statement? Pay the price. You want to protest "The Man" and then have "The Man" give you a hug and a cup of hot chocolate in return? Nope. I am happy that I am positive that I would never have to worry about any of my offspring being such a waste of society's resources.

TheLibertonian

So fully a third of the student body are lazy, shiftless, entitlement-minded snowflakes. What was your point?

Because that means 2/3 are hard working and not complaining.

and maybe we should judge people as individuals instead of damning groups.

Clem72

The student activists' request doesn't come without precedence: In the 1970s, Oberlin adjusted its grading to accommodate student activists protesting the Vietnam War and the Kent State shootings

Just so were clear, we can now justify things we do today because they were done in the 70s? Because if so, I have some bellbottoms and a flared jacket I need to pull out of storage.

PeoplesElbow

You know the semester when VA Tech had the shooting, my best friend was doing is PhD work there and told me students had an option to not take any grades that semester. He said of course it was abused, you're going to have that but they weren't simply given grades.

Hijinx

Because that means 2/3 are hard working and not complaining.

and maybe we should judge people as individuals instead of damning groups.

If they want to be judged as individuals , let them stay out of these groups.

My mother always said you are judged by the company you keep.

If you keep company with a-holes you probably are an a-hole.