P0442 Code Mystery for 2004 Toyota Camry

shewholovescats

Would appreciate any advice on a mystery we have with our 2004 Toyota Camry V-6 XLE. It has 270K miles on it, and in the fall the "vsc" "trac cntrl off" and "engine" lights all lit up. Husband has the OBD scan tool and it came up with "P 0442" code--which apparently is some type of emissions problem. Took to local shop in PF, they suggested the cheap fix, first, to replace gas cap...mine wasn't loose but new cap was only $24 (and yes it is a genuine Toyota cap). Drove car for 200 miles after re-setting lights and all lights came back on. I do turn the cap past the 3 clicks so that I know it is actually sealing. Back to same shop; they then ran a diagnostic test with a smoke test; told me a "computer re-flash" would fix the problem. Spent $158 on that; re-set computer...drove car, 300 miles, lights back on! Back up to shop 3rd time to discuss their first statement that the computer re-flash would fix problem and it didn't. They ran (for free) another smoke test and diagnostic and said that the only other thing it could be was the charcoal canister or the valve connected to it working intermittantly and the canister may be coming apart from inside and releasing particles to make the valve stick. This repair estimate was $870.

At this point we decided to take a Toyota dealer in SMC and make sure before spending that kind of money that it would fix the problem. Tech had car for 2.5 hours, ran all sorts of tests including another diagnostic and smoke test. They wrote up that the "charcoal canister had an internal leak" and said they would charge around $890 to fix. We ordered the genuine Toyota part for $400 from dealer and had another certified mechanic put on for $100, so instead of $870, "repair" cost was $500. But it didn't fix the problem!!! Mechanic re-set lights, I drove car for 87 miles and the lights came back on.

So now it was getting close to having to pass the emissions test required in this county. Lights/computer were re-set again and I was told to just take car up and if it failed emissions, we'd have to do their process to get repair and/or waiver and so on. I drove car 20 miles after computer was re-set and headed to emissions. Lo and behold, the car passed!!!!! So, we have another 2 years to figure out this mystery. But what else is there on this car that could be causing the lights to come on, and never with the same # of miles driven or engine hours between re-sets and lights returning??

And if I have an emissions problem, how did that car pass that required test?? Also, my gas mileage has not been affected at all. I still get the same mileage from a tank of gas that I got from day one. The car is running fine; no other issues. We read online about a "fuel vapor vent pressure switch"...apparently this part cost around $200--but not one place ever suggested that fix; no one ever mentioned that part to us. We feel like we've spent all this money for nothing...and my car dashboard is still lit up all the time. Can anyone help us narrow down what else could be causing this? We're out of ideas. Thanks, all!

Chris0nllyn

It could be one of a few things.

Those cars have an overfill check valve. Sometimes the valve gets stuck and can cause the EVAP leak. Problem is, they are on top of the gas tank and a pain to replace.

Do you know if the new charcoal canister came with the vent the solenoid (pretty sure it comes on the canister)? If not, that could be an issue also. There's also (2) other solenoids relating to the EVAP system. The EVAP solenoid valve and canister closed valve. Some cars also have a pressure switching valve. There's a vapor pressure sensor in the line off the tank also. Each of these tie into the PCM and can cause the code.

In reality, the evap systems are supposed to be air tight and even the tiniest hole, or leak, or bad or-ring, can cause this code. Something like a pin hole in the rubber hoses can make the code pop up.

Problem with these types of codes is time. It takes time to test and check each component. Up until this point, your mechanics have been making assumptions on what it could be without doing things (I assume) like testing the solenoids and check valve. So to do all the testing would mean hours of work, and at mechanics rates, it's not cheap.

Good luck!

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, 0422 is this

"http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0422"

"Code P0422 indicates that the Bank 1 Main Catalytic Converter's emissions efficiency has fallen below the minimum allowable limit. This threshold is tracked by a Catalyst Monitoring Oxygen Sensor located on or near the outlet of the Catalytic Converter."

So either you are reporting the wrong code, which should be another 04-- code. Check that and get back to us. Can't do anything with an incorrect code.

Chris0nllyn

Hmmm, 0422 is this

"Code P0422 indicates that the Bank 1 Main Catalytic Converter's emissions efficiency has fallen below the minimum allowable limit. This threshold is tracked by a Catalyst Monitoring Oxygen Sensor located on or near the outlet of the Catalytic Converter."

So either you are reporting the wrong code, which should be another 04-- code. Check that and get back to us. Can't do anything with an incorrect code.

It's P0442. Which is a EVAP leak code. You're looking at 422

dave1959

I agree with chris... P0442, Small evap leak.. they are the absolute worst to fix because it only takes a very, very, very small leak to trigger the code. IMHO.. Smoke test is the best way to diag this but it takes a keen eye and time...and time is money..My suggestion is to find a shop you trust, Not the cheapest, and stick with them so that the same work is not being done over and over.

shewholovescats

It is P0442

In my question I wrote the code as P0442, which is exactly what is showing up. It is not code P0422...thanks!

Hmmm, 0422 is this

shewholovescats

at this point I don't know who to trust, since 2 places have had this car for hours at a time, and supposedly done diagnostics and smoke tests and found nothing. so frustrating :-( thank you, Chris and Dave, for your advice!!