Gonna need to have my head checked and maybe machined a bit

glhs837

Power with Control
So, the "new" BMW does indeed have a blown head gasket. So looks like I'll be learning something new, will be a far cry from doing that job on the only other car I've done it on, a 1968 Ford 302. Back then, I was able to take the heads to the parts joint on GMR, they did some minor machining in the basement. But that was long, long ago, 1999 maybe. So, I called Martins as I know they are the local BMW folks, and they said they had nobody for machine work on the rolodex.

Inline six head, need it checked and if needed flattened out. Who does such semi locally. Prefer not to haul it up to DC or Baltimore if I can help it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
"Gonna need to have my head checked" - Shouldn't you have dome that prior to buying a broke car?

j/k Couldn't resist. :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
RPM, I'll give them a call. Usually folks like that farm out machine work, or avoid it buy just replacing parts that need machining but worth a shot.

"Gonna need to have my head checked" - Shouldn't you have dome that prior to buying a broke car?

j/k Couldn't resist. :lol:

Knew it was a possibility, :) and the nice thing at the price I paid, even after doing the work it needs done, I'll still be almost a thousand dollars to the good value wise. which is good because the plan is to drive it for a while, then flip it to help fund the e46 M3 purchase. Or maybe I'll keep this one, and toss a blower on there. According to what I see, these motors are good for 6-9lbs of boost all day long. Add the M suspension and an LSD, and have a +300 hp 3300lbs RWD toy.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Knew it was a possibility, :) and the nice thing at the price I paid, even after doing the work it needs done, I'll still be almost a thousand dollars to the good value wise. which is good because the plan is to drive it for a while, then flip it to help fund the e46 M3 purchase. Or maybe I'll keep this one, and toss a blower on there. According to what I see, these motors are good for 6-9lbs of boost all day long. Add the M suspension and an LSD, and have a +300 hp 3300lbs RWD toy.

I think we are talking about two different heads. You know, one where you hire a mechanic and one where you hire a doctor.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, hiring mechanics never a thin I do unless forced. This job farmed out would be in the area of $1500-$2000. Whereas, assuming I can find a damn machine shop, DIY should be under $500 :)

I just called the folks at Family Auto, the nice young lady said "We don't do work like that here so I don't have anyone we would recommend". Not sure what mechanic shop doesn't replace head gaskets, but whatever :) Hmmm, didn't someone say Ship Point Machine did stuff like this?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

That M Roadster I was keeping for a buddy had the 6-9 pound blower setup..aftercooled. I wanted so badly to buy it from him...what a blast that thing was to drive.

glhs837

Power with Control
What's the difference between intercooled and aftercooled? Or is it a potato potahto thing?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What's the difference between intercooled and aftercooled? Or is it a potato potahto thing?

Being an old high-performance diesel guy...The air goes in to the turbo compressor, through the intercooler to the blower or second turbo, then through the aftercooler and in to the engine.

But I've seen the terms used interchangeably to describe the cooler between the turbo or supercharger and the engine on a gas engine.

Chris0nllyn

Any machine shop should be able to do it.

A few years ago, my buddy's dad had a E28. That thing had 1000HP (not a typo) and at the time, still had A/C and heated seats.

I've got a vidoe of us driving around smoking a 800HP Supra.

Chris0nllyn

Aftercoolers are typically water to air. Meaning the hot air passes through cooler water (like a reverse radiator) and are mainly used on supercharged engines.

Intercoolers (IC) are typically air to air. Meaning the charged air passes through the intercooler located up front near/in front of/below the radiator and cools the charged air via air passing through the vanes of the IC.

The cooler the air, the more you can pack into the cylinder + more gas = more power. So, many guys will put an intercooler sprayer on, or meth injection to cool the air as much as possible.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've got a vidoe of us driving around smoking a 800HP Supra.

I built a custom exhaust header for mounting a huge turbo on a Supra engine and did a bunch of port mods and the cam installation to the heads. Navy E-something was building it, as I recall. I never got to see it at the track but I do recall he hit something like 670HP at the rear wheels while getting the EFI all tuned up on it; he shored me the dyno records. That car too was still all decked out with all accessories functional.

I later heard he kept melting pistons though...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Aftercoolers are typically water to air. Meaning the hot air passes through cooler water (like a reverse radiator) and are mainly used on supercharged engines.

Intercoolers (IC) are typically air to air..

The intercoolers and aftercoolers on a high-perf marine diesel are both water-cooled. The intercooler is "first in line" and the aftercooler is last..just like I described above. The intercooler is between the suquential compression devices..the aftercooler downstream of them. Take a Detroit 8V-71TI, for example. Only intercooled (the "I" in "TI") with the intercooler between turbo and supercharger.

When there is only one charge-air cooler, it is more typically called an intercooler. But aftercooler is still correct too....either way, it's a charge-air cooler.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Inline six head, need it checked and if needed flattened out. Who does such semi locally. Prefer not to haul it up to DC or Baltimore if I can help it.

B.I. Mattingly, in Compton. He'll take good care of it for ya.

Chris0nllyn

I built a custom exhaust header for mounting a huge turbo on a Supra engine and did a bunch of port mods and the cam installation to the heads. Navy E-something was building it, as I recall. I never got to see it at the track but I do recall he hit something like 670HP at the rear wheels while getting the EFI all tuned up on it; he shored me the dyno records. That car too was still all decked out with all accessories functional.

I later heard he kept melting pistons though...

I've never been in a car that stupid (in a good way). First time in it I thought the seat was going to break and throw me in the back seat.

You know the $100 trick? Put a $100 bill on the dash and tell someone they can have if they can grab it. Yea, that wasn't happening. :lol: This damn car spun wheels for a 1/8 of a mile, had a 5 speed, and ran 9's.

The intercoolers and aftercoolers on a high-perf marine diesel are both water-cooled. The intercooler is "first in line" and the aftercooler is last..just like I described above. The intercooler is between the suquential compression devices..the aftercooler downstream of them. Take a Detroit 8V-71TI, for example. Only intercooled (the "I" in "TI") with the intercooler between turbo and supercharger.

When there is only one charge-air cooler, it is more typically called an intercooler. But aftercooler is still correct too....either way, it's a charge-air cooler.

Right, those big diesels you want to stuff as much air in as you can. My dad's a diesel mechanic, but I've only dealt with forced induction on gas powered cars.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not used to machines with more than one compressor mounted. :) The problem with liquids is that you either then need another radiator type thing to get rid of that heat or you are good for one run then you need to let it cool down. unless you are in a marine environment of course, then you just use fresh cool water :)

Mr Mattingly out there not far from Fitzies, correct? Left side heading towards the water, white house? If so, he helped me source a 390 oil pan back around 2001 or so. Took me out to a barn about halfway to Breton Bay and had a pile of 390 parts just scattered all over, heads, blocks, pans, you name it. Didn't they actually have a shop over by the ball field for a while? Cant find him on the net, whats the best way to get in touch with him?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've never been in a car that stupid (in a good way).

The Hall Racing built 351c engine in my Pantera is reportedly about 700HP on the second stage of the nitrous. I have not driven it yet...and yes, I'm skeered of that gas button..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Mr Mattingly out there not far from Fitzies, correct? Left side heading towards the water, white house? If so, he helped me source a 390 oil pan back around 2001 or so. Took me out to a barn about halfway to Breton Bay and had a pile of 390 parts just scattered all over, heads, blocks, pans, you name it. Didn't they actually have a shop over by the ball field for a while? Cant find him on the net, whats the best way to get in touch with him?

That's him. Brick house..last one on the left before you head in to Fitzies parking lot on the right. He sorta owns the mouth of Combs Creek. And I cleaned a ton of engines outa that barn back about then. ;-) I'll shoot you a PM with his cell number.