Regarding Calvert County Tax Increase

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
The following letter is posted on behalf of the undersigned.

-----

Sadly, our county commissioners are not doing the job their positions stipulate. They are not acting in the best interest of Calvert County's citizens, who elected them in office. Many of their decisions and behaviors draw the suspicion that they act only as agents for the government itself, or that of financiers on Wall Street, who is trying to take advantage of Calvert County's citizens. What makes it worse, is that these commissioners seem to dishonor the very citizens, the actual producers of wealth, who work, provide, sacrifice, and toil their lives for their families and fund the government through their taxes, but seem only to honor, protect and reward the county government.

They have failed us with a complete lack of leadership by providing only one proposed budget with property tax and income tax increases. They have failed us by not fighting for us, the people, by bringing new, or old, ideas to the table to reduce spending. Such as arguing to reduce the health care subsidy we pay for county employees, which stands currently at 80% of the heath care premium. To also argue to reduce the level of pension contributions and have the employee bear more of their retirement burden, as do those in the private sector.

To put this into focus, as an example, let's say a county employee has a family of four and the health care plan cost is $1000 per month. The county pays $800 for that employee, the employee pays only $200 while a majority in the private sector would have to budget and pay maybe $600, or up to the entire $1000. Yet there has been no discussion to reduce the current subsidy level.

There are also the non-county agency expenditures. As the name implies these are not government agencies, rather, private organizations. It is proposed, this fiscal year, to give away over $1.1 million to organizations outside of government, such as $352,850 to Annmarie Garden. Solomons Annual Events get $9630. Saint Mary's College receives $7000 from us. And the ARC of Southern Maryland gets $332,222, just to name a few of the twenty-nine private organizations listed. Yet, no mention of greatly reducing or eliminating these expenditures, laudable as they may said to be.

Regardless of political fault, the private sector working people in this country have seen their wages decrease and living expenses increase, benefits reduced or terminated, or their jobs completely eliminated. Many of these people, in order to survive, must seek out a second, sometimes a third job in order to make ends meet. Calvert County is not immune from these harsh economic realities. Yet our county commissioners seem not to care or are oblivious. Government must grow, seems the rallying cry.

Next fiscal year, the property taxes from Dominion Cove Point LNG will start to be realized. Calvert County is expecting about $25 million in new additional yearly taxes, revenue. So with this fiscal year's property tax and income tax increases instituted, next fiscal year, with all things being the same, Calvert County will have excess revenue of over $25 million. There is absolutely no logic to have passed a tax increase this fiscal year when there will be more than enough additional tax revenue coming in next fiscal year. In fact, a discussion of reducing the constant yield tax rate next fiscal year could actually be a real possibility because of all that new tax revenue from Dominion Cove Point LNG.

If the job of County Commissioner to too hard for these individuals currently in office, then maybe they should resign their post. It has recently been written that for 22 years, Delegate Tony O'Donnell has been a great "Citizen Legislator". And true it is. He has accomplished many great things fighting for the citizens in his district and represented them with honor and vigor. But where are Calvert County's "citizen" commissioners? Where are the individuals that will fight for Calvert County?s citizens? Not in Prince Frederick.

Patrick Flaherty
Lusby

calvcopf

Here's how they voted. Please keep this in mind during the next election.

Voting IN FAVOR of the Tax Increases were commissioners Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr., Pat Nutter and Tom Hejl.

Commissioners Mike Hart and Steve Weems voted against the increase in taxes.

Chris0nllyn

Here's how they voted. Please keep this in mind during the next election.

Voting IN FAVOR of the Tax Increases were commissioners Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr., Pat Nutter and Tom Hejl.

Commissioners Mike Hart and Steve Weems voted against the increase in taxes.

I'm shocked the (3) former County employees voting to raise taxes rather than harm the county-run welfare (essentially) programs.

The 2 guys who actually run businesses didn't.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
I'm shocked the (3) former County employees voting to raise taxes rather than harm the county-run welfare (essentially) programs.
Wouldn't that considered a conflict of interest? Shouldn't these guys recuse themselves from a vote that they would personally benefit from? I know that Nutter and Heijl, don't know about Slaughenhoupt, (think he's a fed employee) are retired county employees collecting the awesome retirement and health care benefit package paid for the taxpayers.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...Wouldn't that considered a conflict of interest? Shouldn't these guys recuse themselves from a vote that they would personally benefit from? I know that Nutter and Heijl, don't know about Slaughenhoupt, (think he's a fed employee) are retired county employees collecting the awesome retirement and health care benefit package paid for the taxpayers.

I guess not. I recall something else coming up a while ago. I think it had to do with Hejl and Nutter voting on police matters, or something along those lines. I don't remember exactly.

Slaughenhoupt was in the Air Force for a few years, then worked for a private company, but then moved to working for the county starting in 2005 with the Board of Health.

I guess going down that route, any votes on the county would be a conflict of interest in some way.

Regardless of all that, we were assured, promised, whatever that this Dominion project would help us all out and the tax money would be great for the county. Now, when the money starts rolling in from Dominion, do you think they'll turn around and reduce our taxes? No way. They'll find some pet project, some want/need from somewhere to fund.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

23.Why did the county commissioners vote to provide a tax credit on the project to Dominion?
The expansion of Dominion Cove Point could provide Calvert County with approximately $40 million in additional revenue after the credit is applied – revenue that is used to fund education, school construction, roads, law enforcement, fire and rescue, parks and recreation and other local services. The facility’s presence has also been a major factor in holding local tax rates steady since 1987.
24.Do any other businesses in the county receive tax credits?
Until June 2006, the County did not have authority to grant real and personal property tax credits from the Maryland General Assembly. The only other tax credit provided to date was for the construction of a new reactor at Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant. However, because the third reactor has not yet been built, the tax credit has not been applied. Any business is eligible if it can demonstrate the intent to invest $2.5 million and create 25 jobs within the County's target market industries.
25.Is it typical for a county or municipality to offer tax credits to a utility? What is the typical credit amount?
Tax credits are used in economic development projects for a number of industries to entice capital investment and jobs. It is difficult to state whether this is a “typical” credit because they vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. However, the size of the credit is purely based on the potential value of the expanded facility.
26.Is the state offering any incentives to supplement our credit?
No. To our knowledge, there has been no request for State incentives at this time.
27.Does the tax provision guarantee that Dominion will not locate somewhere else?
No. But the reality is that there are other states with more advantageous taxing structures than Maryland. To ensure that Calvert County remains competitive, tax credits level the playing field against other sites under consideration.
http://www.co.cal.md.us/faq.aspx?TID=50

Once the facility is operational, Calvert County would receive up
to $40 million annually in new property taxes.
http://www.co.cal.md.us/DocumentCenter/View/4680

“Them switching into an export role will not only create a lot of employment locally (but will) help the tax base,” said Calvert County Commissioner Evan Slaughenhoupt. “Everyone’s going to benefit from the standpoint of having less burden going forward on their own taxes.”
http://cnsmaryland.org/interactives/cove-point-natural-gas/index2.html

"Expansion of the Dominion Cove Point facility will be an important
economic generator for Calvert County and the entire region," said David Hale,
president, Calvert County, Maryland Board of County Commissioners. "We're
going to receive high paying jobs, increased tax revenues and a major
contribution to the overall economy. This, combined with Dominion's excellent
reputation for community involvement, is a real win for the County and the
Southern Maryland region."
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...on-cove-point-feasibility-study-73797277.html

Increases property tax payments by about $40 million per year
https://www.dom.com/library/domcom/...t-liquefaction-project-presentation.pdf?la=en

RPMDAD

I don't believe Mr. Slaughenhoupt has ever worked for the county before becoming a County Commissioner.

RPMDAD

I guess not. I recall something else coming up a while ago. I think it had to do with Hejl and Nutter voting on police matters, or something along those lines. I don't remember exactly.

Slaughenhoupt was in the Air Force for a few years, then worked for a private company, but then moved to working for the county starting in 2005 with the Board of Health.

I guess going down that route, any votes on the county would be a conflict of interest in some way.

Regardless of all that, we were assured, promised, whatever that this Dominion project would help us all out and the tax money would be great for the county. Now, when the money starts rolling in from Dominion, do you think they'll turn around and reduce our taxes? No way. They'll find some pet project, some want/need from somewhere to fund.

The Calvert County Board of Health is a function of the Calvert County Commissioners.

In Calvert County the Board of County Commissioners is, ex officio, the County Board of Health, which is empowered to enact local ordinances to protect the health of county residents. The county chooses its Health Officer subject to approval by the state. The Health Officer for Calvert County serves as the Executive Officer and Secretary of the County Board of Health, and is charged with enforcing county health ordinances and implementing county health initiatives undertaken by the board.

http://www.calverthealth.org/about/county.htm

RPMDAD

Having been a Calvert County resident for the past 34 years and being a Republican, and not being a big fan of tax increases, i feel that Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr., Pat Nutter and Tom Hejl did the right thing for the current time. I don't think any one of them wanted to raise taxes. I was actually disappointed with Hart and Weems. I think a lot of the problems have been the down turn in the economy, the downturn in the housing market and home prices, and the crap that the M.O.M. run state govt. jammed up the counties a$$holes without using ky. I like the fact that they passed it with the caveat of reviewing it yearly and being able to reduce it when and if things improve and the Dominion revenue starts. I will also say i am not sure they struck the best deal they could have with Dominion but that is water under the bridge. Again this is JMHO.

intertidal

A month ago, these same commissioners voted to give themselves the best gold-plated heath benefits possible. A lower cost alternative was suggested by the county and rejected. County commissioners should not be allowed to vote on their own benefits. The lower cost insurance was better than what taxpayers get and it was not good enough for this royalty.
Of course, there is no longer any actual investigative reporting anymore, so the taxpayers cannot easily compare (without researching it themselves) the the gold-plated benefits to those given to employees of other counties, the state and federal gov't (I know the state and feds do not get anything close to this level of health coverage).

The tax increases would never have been necessary had taxes on Dominion not been forgiven a few years ago. They got a "PILOT" deal - payment in lieu of taxes and that payment is the 20M due in 2018. It is a tiny return on over 800M in taxes forgiven.

intertidal

Having been a Calvert County resident for the past 34 years and being a Republican, and not being a big fan of tax increases, i feel that Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr., Pat Nutter and Tom Hejl did the right thing for the current time. I don't think any one of them wanted to raise taxes. I was actually disappointed with Hart and Weems. I think a lot of the problems have been the down turn in the economy, the downturn in the housing market and home prices, and the crap that the M.O.M. run state govt. jammed up the counties a$$holes without using ky. I like the fact that they passed it with the caveat of reviewing it yearly and being able to reduce it when and if things improve and the Dominion revenue starts. I will also say i am not sure they struck the best deal they could have with Dominion but that is water under the bridge. Again this is JMHO.

Housing prices have certainly recovered from their lows - except where politicians have caused the market to crash artificially. That would be Lusby. Ask anyone home shopping elsewhere and you will hear about high prices in mid and upper calvert county. These commissioners have refused to request an independent objective risk assessment - a quantitative risk assessment (QRA) that is standard for LNG operations. They are listening only to Dominion. If there is really low risk identified by a QRA, then the market could price accordingly. Because the commissioners do not care, the market acts in a risk-averse manner, assumes the worst, and depresses home prices to levels for heavy industry risk. Take a look at foreclosures in Lusby and compare it to Detroit or Flint, MI.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Sounds like the panacea sold to us when the Power Plant was being built. Anyway, one of the problems is that most all commissioners do not critically think aloud and question at the meetings and nearly always go with "staff" recommendations.... (the foxes in the hen house people).

When assessments were grossly over inflated by way of the super real estate bubble fueled by nearly free money to anyone with a heartbeat money rained down into government coffers. Many called for restraint by recommending the lowering of the constant yield tax rate. But no, the money flowed freely into every pet project and more. Now that bubble has burst, they are blaming everything else except their own ineptitude. This tax increase could have absolutely been avoided. But the commissioners are intellectually and physically lazy. They are like the idiot parents that spoil their children and can't so no their (staff) requests, at our expense.

intertidal

Small businesses usually pay taxes at the individual rates. This is as much a tax increase on small businesses as it is on individuals. I'd love to see the credentials of the economic development dept geniuses here.

intertidal

If I may ...Sounds like the panacea sold to us when the Power Plant was being built. Anyway, one of the problems is that most all commissioners do not critically think aloud and question at the meetings and nearly always go with "staff" recommendations.... (the foxes in the hen house people).

When assessments were grossly over inflated by way of the super real estate bubble fueled by nearly free money to anyone with a heartbeat money rained down into government coffers. Many called for restraint by recommending the lowering of the constant yield tax rate. But no, the money flowed freely into every pet project and more. Now that bubble has burst, they are blaming everything else except their own ineptitude. This tax increase could have absolutely been avoided. But the commissioners are intellectually and physically lazy. They are like the idiot parents that spoil their children and can't so no their (staff) requests, at our expense.

We don't know for sure about the details of the backroom deals with Dominion - except that 800M in property taxes were forgiven (Dominion pays no income taxes) in exchange for a "payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT)" of either 20M or 25M. I expect the commissioners will now forgive even that.

To read their claims of responsible spending and "belt-tightening" by Calvert County gov't is laughable if not so sad. Of course, they get away with it because they see us as sheep.

intertidal

There is not now, nor will there be in the future, money "rolling in" to the county from Dominion. Their one-time payment in lieu of taxes, if it is ever paid, will be trivial compared to the taxes forgiven. The state PSC considered the economic impact of this project when it was proposed and found it to be highly negative.

nutz

The Calvert County Board of Health is a function of the Calvert County Commissioners. http://www.calverthealth.org/about/county.htm

This right here is where I've been having issues. In Charles County (where I live, mostly work and pay taxes), the county commissioners are not "in charge" of anything. As it turns out, their function is to authorize and deputize. The county government is run by the county administrator. The sheriffs office is run by the sheriff. Emergency services is run by the director of..Etc, etc. So, when you have a problem with x and the director or sheriff of, the county commissioners are not next in line, you are #### out of luck.