Ehrlich and KKT Square Off? (Must see TV)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I heard that they will be at Morgan State. A candidate's forum will be held and it will be on C-Span tonight. The Baltimore chapter of the NAACP will ask the questions. Anybody know of the details? ...time? I might just have to turn on the TV. I don't even have a TV guide.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's surprising - KKT isn't exactly known for her ability to think on the fly. Gonna have to watch! Of course, if the NAACP is asking the questions it will be brutality for Ehrlich and softballs for KKT.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
:yay: Thanks Jazz! I'll have to put a video in if I can remember how to use them.

Vrai, maybe KKT will wear an earpeice so she can parrot what her handlers tell her. :lol:

K

Kain99

Survivor

Gosh, I hope it's not on during Survivor! :wink:
Shallow, I know... :smile:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Is anybody watching this?

It's almost comical. She's a nut. :barf:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
She tried to crack a football joke before that and no one got it. She's waiting for laughter like she's at a comedy club.

Democrats should never pick on Bush again for the way he speaks...she's so much worse, stumbling all over her words.

K

Kizzy

I am hoping to catch the re-run on Channel 8 tonight. I think it is at 10:00 p.m.

KKT should just hold a sign up.
:stupid:

and get it over with.

K

Kizzy

1.7 billion dollar short fall. AND, KKT is saying I don't know HOW that happened. What a crock. Erlich looks REAL good and has done a good job. KKT ah da da boy she is stumbling over her words a lot tonight. She had to do a debate because this is going to be a very close race. Mark my word. Also, it doesn't appear that channel 8 will re run this debate.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
She supports race based affirmative action. Now you know she's trying to buy the black vote. Some of them actually cheered for Ehrlich after his closing speech, unlike when he started. She's sinking fast in the polls, I'd like to see what happens after this.

K

Kizzy

They are on Channel 8 saying how GREAT KKT did in the debate. She only stumbled one time they say. They said Erlich seemed hung up on race. :rolleyes: Is this the same debate we all watched.

Oh, keep my hubby in mind. He is stuck in D.C. all weekend because of IMF.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
They are on Channel 8 saying how GREAT KKT did in the debate. She only stumbled one time they say.
Well I'm not surprised. You know how democrats are...if they tell the same lie long enough, they think people will believe it. :rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

I pray to God She don't win....

I'll be lucky to own a damn water pistol.

I'll be lucky to have a job. We have had every single vacant position pulled. We are already short all over the state, and it doesn't appear there is any relief in site, because of the budget short fall.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
From the BS

September 26, 2002, 9:18 PM EDT

During tonight's gubernatorial debate, Republican Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. and Democrat Kathleen Kennedy Townsend focused on affirmative action, education and race issues.

Before a large audience at Morgan State University, a historically black college, the two candidates squared off in a forum sponsored by the Baltimore chapter of the NAACP.

"He opposes affirmative action based on race," Townsend said. "Well, let me tell you, slavery was based on race. Lynching was based on race. Discrimination was based on race. Jim Crow was based on race, and affirmative action should be based on race."

Ehrlich said he was proud to represent black people in the 2nd congressional District in the Baltimore area and proud of his running mate, Michael Steele, who is black.

Before a crowd that cheered and clapped enthusiastically, at times interrupting the speakers, Townsend responded aggressively to Ehrlich's record and comments. The Republican congressman tried to exercise his affable charm, but was repeatedly heckled and booed.

Before Ehrlich could make his opening statement, people in the audience booed and Townsend violated the debate format by using some of his time to ask the audience to be quiet.

After weeks of negotiations, the candidates agreed last week to meet for the 90-minute debate. With polls showing the race about even, political observers planned to watch the meeting closely.

Townsend resisted Ehrlich's challenges to debate during the primary election campaign, saying she wanted to wait for the congressman to win the Republican gubernatorial nomination.

But as the primary approached, Townsend saw her lead over Ehrlich diminish. Townsend now says she wants to have two more televised debates before the Nov. 5 election.

Ehrlich, meanwhile, says he has accepted more than 20 invitations to debate and Townsend should do the same. But no other meetings had been planned by tonight.

The NAACP said each campaign was given 300 tickets for the event. The auditorium has 2,000 seats.

The debate was televised live for Comcast cable subscribers in the Baltimore area and on the Eastern Shore, while cable NewsChannel 8 planned to show the debate live in the Washington area. In Baltimore, WBFF-TV, WBAL-TV and Maryland Public Television planned to air the debate later tonight.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"He opposes affirmative action based on race," Townsend said. "Well, let me tell you, slavery was based on race. Lynching was based on race. Discrimination was based on race. Jim Crow was based on race, and affirmative action should be based on race."
:roflmao:
I might have phrased that a little differently. I'll bet her handlers about had a heart attack when she said that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
They are on Channel 8 saying how GREAT KKT did in the debate. She only stumbled one time they say. They said Erlich seemed hung up on race. :rolleyes: Is this the same debate we all watched.

Oh, keep my hubby in mind. He is stuck in D.C. all weekend because of IMF.

I guess it depends on what they mean by "one time". It looked to me as if she stumbled every time her mouth was open, but in all honesty I didn't see her actually "stumble" (you know, nearly fall down or something along those lines). She avoided the questions asked and side-stepped the deficit issue as best she could. She did raise her voice and to me acted extremely immature at times. Typical Kennedy stuff here, no substance just the name.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by BchBns
... Seeing all those folks who did cheer KKT after her little rant about affirmative action made me roll my eyes in disbelief; ...

It was definitely a stacked deck to start.

After all...
... The NAACP said each campaign was given 300 tickets for the event. The auditorium has 2,000 seats...

I'm surprised they didn't pelt Ehrlich with tomatoes, since the NAACP picked the bulk of the crowd.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
While I'm sure that discrimination in hiring still goes on, the situation is a LOT better than it was 35 years ago. That's what I've never understood about affirmative action. I thought hiring discrimination was already illegal.

Of course KKT hinted last night that opposition to affirmative action may be racist. She was playing to an audience that still remembers the days when private employers would only hire blacks as janitors.

But what I want to see from both Ehrlich and KKT is a decent alternative to affirmative action. Maybe stronger enforcement of the anti-discrimination laws. I feel affirmative action only gives the real racists more to crow about: "See, we were right! They're only looking for handouts."