Adele

I like Adele. It's not so much her music (though some of it I do like and listen to if I'm in the right mood, which isn't too often), it's her personality - her lack of pretension, her awkwardness, her being comfortable just being whoever the hell she feels like being. Maybe it's a wonderfully performed act. But she seems quite real - and normal. She seems to get that she happens to have a great singing voice but is otherwise just like everyone else and wants to be seen as just like everyone else.

Anyway, I'm posting to comment on this recent video of her responding during a concert to a critic who suggested that her voice might be heavily manipulated on her recordings. The audio is pretty bad, it's hard to make out what she said. But this is still top 10 of the greatest things ever. Like, there's (10) Man's ancestors cross out of Africa; (7) Man harnesses the power of fire; (3) Riggins takes 4th-and-1 44 yards to the house; and somewhere in there is (X) Adele tells critic to suck her dick.

[video=youtube;V9m_NlXac5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9m_NlXac5I[/video]

She calls him a dickhead for suggesting that it wasn't her voice on her record then says "Dude, suck my dick."

What goes on in studios, auto pitch correction and so forth, is simply fraud.

Sure, recorded music doesn't require of artists what it once did. I don't think I'd call it fraud though.

More relevantly here, my guess is that such manipulation isn't as much an issue with Adele. I don't think she needs the help.

Regardless, Adele telling dude to suck her dick made me laugh hard when I heard it - all 20 times.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've been in studio with pros. It's been awhile and I hear it is much worse.
I watched one guy, the lead singer, on the monitor, constantly flat. It sounded off from the back up vocals. The back up guy was spot on. The engineer said he could correct the singers pitch but the back up guy said it would be easier if he just went flat and sang to it instead of isolated as he was for his parts. I watched this guy modulate his pitch down to match the lead guy. That was talent. The lead guy could not do it.

There is all sorts of pitch correction going on out there. Happens on the voice all the time. There are acts out there with singers off stage doubling tough parts for the pro because he can't even get close anymore. People become dependent on it. In the old days, people stopped doing things they couldn't do anymore. Now, it's expected and many choose to fake it rather than not do it. I consider that fraud.

Lots of young people are not getting as good as the old timers because studio pressure and equipment means there is no financial motive to get it right or be that good.

Gaga did the anthem at the super bowl. You see how tickled she was? She did it straight and nailed it. And knew it. That's the real thing and I applaud her for that but it used to be no big deal, expected. Now, we accept lip syncing, auto correct, etc.

I guess it's not fraud if we don't care. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
AutoTune. Making careers of non-talented people since 1998.

That's the thing. It's not about making non-talented careers. It's about people not becoming as good as they could be. So, I guess that makes you correct, lowering the bar.
I want my doctor to use every tool he can get his hands on. I want my art, my music, as real as it can get.

PeoplesElbow

Gaga did the anthem at the super bowl. You see how tickled she was? She did it straight and nailed it. And knew it. That's the real thing and I applaud her for that but it used to be no big deal, expected. Now, we accept lip syncing, auto correct, etc.

The halftime show audio is prerecorded, isn't the national anthem?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because we do. Every year. And you know why? Because a lot of the time they are. And it’s fine, because the alternative is way worse according to a man who should know.

No. And ####ing hell no. The alternative is NOT doing it. It's a FOOTBALL game. Marching bands. Cheerleaders.

Can't do live music at halftime of the Super bowl for myriad reasons? Don't do it. Do NOT do it. Period. It's a freaking lie. A distortion. Fake. FAKE.

There are always the first two questions to anything; can we do this? Should we do this?

Then, why and/or why not?

If they promoted it as "Watch X lip syncing at half time!" then, fine. Or "watch So and so pretend to be performing!" It is an insult to everyone who takes the time and effort to be able to perform LIVE.

Do NOT do it. Period.

PeoplesElbow

No. And ####ing hell no. The alternative is NOT doing it. It's a FOOTBALL game. Marching bands. Cheerleaders.

Can't do live music at halftime of the Super bowl for myriad reasons? Don't do it. Do NOT do it. Period. It's a freaking lie. A distortion. Fake. FAKE.

There are always the first two questions to anything; can we do this? Should we do this?

Then, why and/or why not?

If they promoted it as "Watch X lip syncing at half time!" then, fine. Or "watch So and so pretend to be performing!" It is an insult to everyone who takes the time and effort to be able to perform LIVE.

Do NOT do it. Period.

Its a crappy manufactured music performance to go along with crappy manufactured football drama. I can't think of a good superbowl halftime show, although I did like the left shark's dancing.