Question about sobriety checkpoints

imaref

I've never been stopped at a sobriety checkpoint, nor do I drink and drive. I keep seeing the notices posted about local checkpoints. If I ever do have to go through one (in Maryland), what are the requirements? Legally, do I have to answer any questions, get out of the car, etc.?

Roman

I've never been stopped at a sobriety checkpoint, nor do I drink and drive. I keep seeing the notices posted about local checkpoints. If I ever do have to go through one (in Maryland), what are the requirements? Legally, do I have to answer any questions, get out of the car, etc.?
I would do what they ask unless you're up for a wood shampoo.

lovinmaryland

Whatever you don't turn around :nono: When I was pregnant I ran out for some light night ice cream at the store...on the way home I came up to what I thought was an accident so I made a u turn to take an alternate route...wrong move! Within seconds I had like 4 or 5 cop cars behind me lights going. I pulled over they jumped out of their cars and were like "exit the car ma'am" I started bawling! I said I'm so sorry I didn't realize this was a check point I just wanted to get home fast so my ice cream wouldn't melt. OMG so embarrassing :blushing: :lmao:

Chris0nllyn

Whatever you don't turn around :nono: When I was pregnant I ran out for some light night ice cream at the store...on the way home I came up to what I thought was an accident so I made a u turn to take an alternate route...wrong move! Within seconds I had like 4 or 5 cop cars behind me lights going. I pulled over they jumped out of their cars and were like "exit the car ma'am" I started bawling! I said I'm so sorry I didn't realize this was a check point I just wanted to get home fast so my ice cream wouldn't melt. OMG so embarrassing :blushing: :lmao:

Did they say they stopped you because you turned around?

lovinmaryland

Did they say they stopped you because you turned around?

Yup they thought I was trying to run/avoid the check point. I guess they have officers ready for that type of stuff.

I've been through several check points normally they just pop their heads in your window and hand out pamphlets.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Why wouldn't you cooperate? Usually what happens is you slow down and they wave you through without even talking to you. Rarely, they will actually stop you and speak to you. I've never even heard of them asking someone to step out of the car unless the person was, well, drunk, or giving them a rash of chit.

Those videos you see on the internet? It's mostly bullcrap. Checkpoints aren't really all that.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Why wouldn't you cooperate? Usually what happens is you slow down and they wave you through without even talking to you. Rarely, they will actually stop you and speak to you. I've never even heard of them asking someone to step out of the car unless the person was, well, drunk, or giving them a rash of chit.

Those videos you see on the internet? It's mostly bullcrap. Checkpoints aren't really all that.

you apparently haven't been through a checkpoint lately. Lines can be long as they stop each car and an officer comes to the window to explain what is going on and hands you a pamphlet on drinking and driving.
They are giving each car an eyeball search for any items of contraband. While they are doing that, another officer is running your plate to see if there are any warrants out.
It's become a tool for LE now, which apparently they have done with the no fly list. Any LE agency can put a name on the list that way of a person of interest attempts to board a plane they will be stopped.

I was informed that they have to leave a way around the checkpoint or the checkpoint would be considered entrapment.

Midnightrider

Sounds pretty illegal. As I understand it they are required to set up in a location and give enough notice, as in signage, to allow you to take an alternate route. You are allowed to avoid them if you chose to.

vince77

I believe you can avoid them if they choose a checkpoint location where it is legal to turn away/around such as a side street or parking lot. However if you have to commit a traffic violation (i.e., crossing a double yellow line/ K turns in the street) they can stop you. They generally don't place these checkpoints in locations where there is a legal means to avoid driving through them.