Lets talk washing machines

General Lee

I caved and got top load, HE washer with no agitator post. In order to get a decent size wash tub you gotta go with these new front load / top load HE washers and none have an agitator post. There are so many mixed reviews on the operation of these things, whether they clean clothes well enough. What are you guys finding? I'll use the hell out of this within 30 days to take advantage of the free exchange if I'm not pleased with it.

I caved and got top load, HE washer with no agitator post. In order to get a decent size wash tub you gotta go with these new front load / top load HE washers and none have an agitator post. There are so many mixed reviews on the operation of these things, whether they clean clothes well enough. What are you guys finding? I'll use the hell out of this within 30 days to take advantage of the free exchange if I'm not pleased with it.

I bought one of those about 6 years ago brand new from Lowes. Worst machine ever. No the clothes were NOT clean and there was soap residue no matter if I used liquid or powder. Yes I used the HE detergent. The person that helped me even claimed he had the same machine, of all the choices he claimed it was the best for the price. (top loaders tend to be less expensive and I had no interest in a front loader.)

First of all -the machines with agitator sticks are back- I saw 2 models at Lowes just last weekend. So its not history- I believe the people have spoken and we want the stick back!

2 years ago we moved and needed a new set. I bought a $250 6 year old set off the classifieds on somd - never been happier with a washer and dryer. Id buy a 30 year old set off the side of the street before I ever buy a machine with no agitator again.

General Lee

First of all -the machines with agitator sticks are back- I saw 2 models at Lowes just last weekend. So its not history- I believe the people have spoken and we want the stick back!

Yes, there are agitator models but they are still small. 3.5 - 4.0 cu ft tubs. You can't wash a comforter or large blankets in those. The main reason I'm trying a large capacity HE machine is so king size comforters can be washed.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Do not buy a front loader washer ... just don't. The top loaders last longer and get clothes cleaner plus I have friends that work in real estate and house inspectors flunk them all the time for mold around the front wash drum. The clothes are wrapped in a bundle and never get clean in the front loads.

I have a G&E top loader now (after my front loader failed after just 8 years) and have washed my Cal King bedding in it with no problem. Best Buy in Waldorf was having a clearance sale last week on both washers and dryers. I'd tell you the model # on it but it is currently in use :ohwell:

Yes, there are agitator models but they are still small. 3.5 - 4.0 cu ft tubs. You can't wash a comforter or large blankets in those. The main reason I'm trying a large capacity HE machine is so king size comforters can be washed.

I weighed that argument vs the number of times I actually needed to. Decided it was better to take the comforter to the laundromat and use the huge machines.

I have a front loader. I'm fine with the level of clean it provides. My biggest complaint is the time required for a normal load, over an hour. I've started using the 'express' setting (20-25 min) for all but the dirtiest of my jeans and that seems to be fine as well.

Do not buy a front loader washer ... just don't. The top loaders last longer and get clothes cleaner plus I have friends that work in real estate and house inspectors flunk them all the time for mold around the front wash drum. The clothes are wrapped in a bundle and never get clean in the front loads.

Read about mold issues before I got a front loader. Also read that leaving the door open after using it is a simple remedy. That's what I do, haven't had any issue for almost 10 years.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I just got a new dryer last week after my expensive mate to the front load washer failed also (motor blew) and bought some big giant cheap model with moisture detection (Samsung is the model of the dryer).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-4-2-...hite/4374312.p?id=1219740036357&skuId=4374312 < this is the one I got and a bit surprised at some of the reviews. Most complain it is a loud but I don't hear very well anyway so it doesn't bother me and loud enough for me to not walk out of the house while on.

My front loader washer got off balance while washing some blankets. I think there was only but a few minutes left on the load and I left the house. When I returned, I found my front loader had rocked its way over the wall across from it, tipped over, the door broke open and basically threw up my blankets and tons of water on my floor. It was a fricken mess. Replacing the door on the machine was costly and IMO wasn't worth it which is why I just got another one.

I have a friend who got this one and LOVES it.... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...hite/3656051.p?id=1219092665431&skuId=3656051 My husband was strongly apposed to getting anything other than a machine with an agitator. Since I was the reason we ended up with the 2 biggest POS machines that we ever owned, I kept my mouth shut. :ohwell:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Read about mold issues before I got a front loader. Also read that leaving the door open after using it is a simple remedy. That's what I do, haven't had any issue for almost 10 years.

I have a laundry room the size of a tic tac box so I would leave the door open and it would get shut as people in our house went by.... I figured if I have to keep the door open (which is what we all tend to do with top loaders) I'd rather not have one in the way....

My laundry room is 11 foot long and 6.5 feet wide with a garage door going in and a doorway to the kitchen. Actual space I have to work with, about 6.5 by 6.5. SMALL

But you bring up a VERY good point and something the thread starter should also consider. You go with a front load, that door needs to stay open while not in use to avoid the mold issue. Is that going to be a problem???

Last edited:
My laundry room is 11 foot long and 6.5 feet wide with a garage door going in and a doorway to the kitchen. Actual space I have to work with, about 6.5 by 6.5. SMALL

:lol: Mine is 6 x 9.5, a small room inside the garage. Always had thoughts of making it bigger, but then my truck wouldn't fit.

My front loader door opens to the wall, so it's never in the way when it's open.

All that said, if I had to get another washer/dryer, I think it would be a top loader again.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:lol: Mine is 6 x 9.5, a small room inside the garage. Always had thoughts of making it bigger, but then my truck wouldn't fit.

My front loader door opens to the wall, so it's never in the way when it's open.

All that said, if I had to get another washer/dryer, I think it would be a top loader again.

We thought about the same thing and we decided it wasn't worth the work. My only wish... I wish I had a utility sink in my laundry room instead I have a deep kitchen sink.

General Lee

I'm reading how to "trick" the washer into adding more water so clothes may get a better wash. Basically adding water in the beginning to trick the washer into thinking its a bigger load then it really is, thus it will add more water.

PeoplesElbow

I have had a topload GE H.E. washing machine for 8 years now and it does a fine job getting my clothes clean. I get pretty dirty at work sometimes with aircraft fuel, hydraulic fluid, and general grease, my clothes come out just fine.

To say it doesn't have an agitator would be wrong, it has a very short one.

Teh front loaders are just a trend cause they are pretty they can overcharge for them so higher end top loading machines are rarer these days.

Roman

I bought a Maytag Bravos XL with a 5.3 cubic foot drum. It's huge. It's a top loader, HE, without an agitator. It does a great job on the laundry, and has quite a few settings for different types of laundry. What I don't like about it is that the door locks when it's in use. I like to see the water to make sure it's running clear before the last rinse. You can't do that with this washer unless you shut it down. The door is smoky glass, making it hard to see through especially if you're doing a warm water rinse. Other than that, I love the machine. It is best no matter what type of machine that you get, to leave the door open so that you can avoid rust in the drum, as well as that moldy smell. You should wash your washer out about once a month, running it on an empty load, but don't buy those expensive Washer Cleaners. I use white vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide.

You should wash your washer out about once a month, running it on an empty load, but don't buy those expensive Washer Cleaners. I use white vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide.

I just checked my machine; it has a cleaning setting/cycle. Never used it. Maybe I'll do that today.

Roman

I just checked my machine; it has a cleaning setting/cycle. Never used it. Maybe I'll do that today.
Mine has it too. But I don't buy the washer cleaner. Washing the washer helps to get rid of mineral deposits, sand/dirt. Don't forget to leave that lid open after use!

NIU_Huskies

Leaving the door open after washing so it can dry out is definitely the best way. If you close all that moisture inside then it will smell and get moldy over time. I have no problems with my front load HE washer.

NIU_Huskies

I have a laundry room the size of a tic tac box so I would leave the door open and it would get shut as people in our house went by.... I figured if I have to keep the door open (which is what we all tend to do with top loaders) I'd rather not have one in the way....

I just fold up a hand towel and wedge it in the door so it stays open enough to dry out. This way the door isn't wide open.

Roman

I use one cup white vinegar, and one small bottle of hydrogen peroxide. You can go on-line to get more ideas. This is done on a no-clothes load, just water.
What is the ratio you use ?
I forgot to add that my sister uses just 1/2 cup of mouth wash to her washer!

Last edited:
I use one cup white vinegar, and one small bottle of hydrogen peroxide. You can go on-line to get more ideas. This is done on a no-clothes load, just water.I forgot to add that my sister uses just 1/2 cup of mouth wash to her washer!

MMMMmmmmmm!!! Minty fresh!

Mine recommended just bleach, so I did that. Next time I might try the vinegar/peroxide.