George Will leaves GOP: 'This is not my party' .....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284908-george-will-leaves-gop-this-is-not-my-party

"Longtime conservative columnist George Will says he has left the Republican Party because of Donald Trump.

“This is not my party,” he said during a Friday speech to the Federalist Society, according to the conservative-leaning outlet PJ Media.Will said he has switched his Maryland voter registration to "unaffiliated."

When asked in an interview later what message he had for GOP voters, Will suggested they resign themselves to not winning the presidency in November.

“Make sure he loses. Grit their teeth for four years and win the White House,” he said."

Hijinx

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284908-george-will-leaves-gop-this-is-not-my-party

"Longtime conservative columnist George Will says he has left the Republican Party because of Donald Trump.

“This is not my party,” he said during a Friday speech to the Federalist Society, according to the conservative-leaning outlet PJ Media.Will said he has switched his Maryland voter registration to "unaffiliated."

When asked in an interview later what message he had for GOP voters, Will suggested they resign themselves to not winning the presidency in November.

“Make sure he loses. Grit their teeth for four years and win the White House,” he said."

Well he is a stupid SOB if he thinks the country will be in better shape with Hillary.
It isn't my GOP either, but the suggestion to leave my country to Hillary Clinton is unthinkable.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Well he is a stupid SOB if he thinks the country will be in better shape with Hillary.
It isn't my GOP either, but the suggestion to leave my country to Hillary Clinton is unthinkable.

A lot of us have quit the GOP over the years for the same reasons, it doesn't mean that we're going to the D side though.

BlueSunday

People feel very strongly against Donald Trump.It is good to see.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Will has been a doddering old fascist nutcase for several years now. Now he can be a hero for the Left, which is what he's been leaning toward anyway.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Will has been a doddering old fascist nutcase for several years now. Now he can be a hero for the Left, which is what he's been leaning toward anyway.

Do you really believe that?

One of the best conservative minds on the planet......

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I know he is billed as that, but I have not seen any evidence of it , like I said, in several years

I don't buy that at all, I quit the gop about 10 years ago, and am as conservative as ever.Trump is no conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Will is very conservative, and sticks to the conservative principles that used to define conservatives, especially constitutional conservative. I guess you think that any "gop" candidate that is against hillary is a conservative.

Hijinx

I don't buy that at all, I quit the gop about 10 years ago, and am as conservative as ever.Trump is no conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Will is very conservative, and sticks to the conservative principles that used to define conservatives, especially constitutional conservative. I guess you think that any "gop" candidate that is against hillary is a conservative.

Anyone who helps her win is not a Conservative---that's for sure.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Do you really believe that?

One of the best conservative minds on the planet......

Will has done a number of talks in the last year or two and has done nothing but get better with age. If anyone wants to know what conservative is supposed to be, listening to any of them will do the job.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I don't even know what "conservative" means anymore. Whatever it is, if the GOP terrorist loving slave masters are that, then George Will is their patron saint.

My issue is with his "great mind", which I do not think is all that great. I'm not at all impressed with elected representatives who want to thwart the voters' choice to put in some puppet they can control, and Will seems to be right on board with that. As far as I can tell, they think "conservative" means he same thing as "fascist dictator". That's not a "great mind", that's actually an unconstitutional power trip.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I don't even know what "conservative" means anymore. Whatever it is, if the GOP terrorist loving slave masters are that, then George Will is their patron saint.

My issue is with his "great mind", which I do not think is all that great. I'm not at all impressed with elected representatives who want to thwart the voters' choice to put in some puppet they can control, and Will seems to be right on board with that. As far as I can tell, they think "conservative" means he same thing as "fascist dictator". That's not a "great mind", that's actually an unconstitutional power trip.

I consider myself a conservative. George Will is a conservative, just listen to him speak. Charles Krauthammer is a conservative, just listen to him speak. I have never heard either one of them speak "Facist" ideas.
If the Republicans nominate Donald Trump they are no longer conservative.

Donald Trump is not a conservative, Hillary Clinton is not a conservative.

LC_Sulla

What Does American Conservative Mean?

What Americans Mean When They Say They're Conservative
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ean-when-they-say-theyre-conservative/252099/

Quiz: Which Conservative Thinker Are You?
https://home.isi.org/quiz-which-conservative-thinker-are-you?gclid=CNKAwLWIxs0CFUxZhgodhjAL8g

I do not consider myself a conservative but I took the quiz anyway and answered truthfully to the best of my ability. The questions were not easy. My result: Russell Kirk.

Conservative Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism
Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization. Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others, called reactionaries, oppose modernism and seek a return to "the way things were".

The Cynical Website
http://www.cynical.ws/definition/conservative
Conservative - n. A person who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. :razz:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I consider myself a conservative. George Will is a conservative, just listen to him speak. Charles Krauthammer is a conservative, just listen to him speak. I have never heard either one of them speak "Facist" ideas.

If you even hint that the results of an election should be overturned and invalidated so you can install your own guy....you might be a fascist.

Both Krauthammer AND Will have suggested that this should happen. Just calling it as I see it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
https://home.isi.org/quiz-which-conservative-thinker-are-you?gclid=CNKAwLWIxs0CFUxZhgodhjAL8g

I do not consider myself a conservative but I took the quiz anyway and answered truthfully to the best of my ability. The questions were not easy. My result: Russell Kirk.

How cool!

My Result: Frank S. Meyer

You are what is often called a fusionist: you believe that libertarians and traditionalists share a lot of common ground, not only politically but also philosophically. Freedom is fundamental, but freedom cannot mean mere license; virtue is the highest goal, but virtue not freely chosen is not really virtue. As Meyer put it, “Truth withers when freedom dies, however righteous the authority that kills it; and free individualism uninformed by moral value rots at its core and soon brings about conditions that pave the way for surrender to tyranny.”

Meyer (1909–1972) was a longtime editor of William F. Buckley Jr.’s National Review. As the leading proponent of fusionism, he played a key role in shaping the modern conservative movement.

I don't know who Frank S. Meyer is, but the synopsis is spot on. I'll have to look him up....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
What Americans Mean When They Say They're Conservative

Conservative Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism

The Cynical Website
http://www.cynical.ws/definition/conservative
Conservative - n. A person who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. :razz:

Pretty neat.....
I was also Russell Kirk

You are a traditionalist conservative. You emphasize tradition, order, the moral imagination, and the “permanent things.” Although you are alert to the threat of big government, you are also critical of atomistic individualism, as you emphasize man’s spiritual and social nature. As such, you are skeptical of finding much common ground with libertarians.

Kirk (1918–1994) was one of the principal founders of the modern conservative movement. In fact, he gave the movement its name with his landmark book The Conservative Mind (1953).

I'm also going to read his book to see how much has changed since 1953....

Hijinx

Well #### Hoss. Tell us something we don't know.
We all know Donald Trump is not a Conservative. I don't even know if he could really be called a republican

I do know he is what we have to choose to keep a corrupt, liberal power hungry harridan out of the White House.

I don't want him, but rather him that that other POS.

LC_Sulla

Current Political Discourse

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...sage-is-what-made-him-leave.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Trump tweeted his reaction to the news Sunday, writing, “George Will, one of the most overrated political pundits (who lost his way long ago), has left the Republican Party. He’s made many bad calls.”

Will responded, “He (Trump) has an advantage on me because he can say everything he knows about any subject in 140 characters and I can’t.”

A good quip is a good quip.

“You know he looks smart because he wears those little glasses,” Trump said at a November rally. “If you take those glasses away from him, he’s a dummy.”

BlueSunday

You might consider yourself a "conservative" but your postings on these forums indicate other wise.