For Independence Day, A Look at Thomas Jefferson's Egregious Hypocrisy .....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/for-independence-day-a-look-at-thomas-jefferson-s-egregious-hypocrisy/

“While many of his contemporaries, including George Washington, freed their slaves during and after the revolution--inspired, perhaps, by the words of the Declaration--Jefferson did not,” historian Paul Finkelman writes. “Jefferson also “dodged opportunities to undermine slavery or promote racial equality.” "To celebrate the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July, when Americans commemorate their country’s birth, I’d like to offer a few comments on Thomas Jefferson.

No one is more closely associated with Independence Day than Jefferson. He was the principle author of the Declaration of Independence, which the American Congress formally adopted July 4, 1776. Jefferson, judged by his rhetoric, was a true man of the Enlightenment, who embraced reason, science and democracy and rejected superstition, tradition and tyranny.

I once admired Jefferson, seeing him as an essentially good, no, great man with one tragic flaw: The writer of the inspiring words “all men are created equal” owned slaves. Now, I see Jefferson as an egregious hypocrite, who willfully betrayed the ideals he espoused.".....>

TheLibertonian

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/for-independence-day-a-look-at-thomas-jefferson-s-egregious-hypocrisy/

“While many of his contemporaries, including George Washington, freed their slaves during and after the revolution--inspired, perhaps, by the words of the Declaration--Jefferson did not,” historian Paul Finkelman writes. “Jefferson also “dodged opportunities to undermine slavery or promote racial equality.” "To celebrate the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July, when Americans commemorate their country’s birth, I’d like to offer a few comments on Thomas Jefferson.

No one is more closely associated with Independence Day than Jefferson. He was the principle author of the Declaration of Independence, which the American Congress formally adopted July 4, 1776. Jefferson, judged by his rhetoric, was a true man of the Enlightenment, who embraced reason, science and democracy and rejected superstition, tradition and tyranny.

I once admired Jefferson, seeing him as an essentially good, no, great man with one tragic flaw: The writer of the inspiring words “all men are created equal” owned slaves. Now, I see Jefferson as an egregious hypocrite, who willfully betrayed the ideals he espoused.".....>

Idiocy.
But exactly what I expect from a non historian.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yet another failed writer totally lacking the ability to keep things in historical context.

Good find.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most of our historical figures were not the perfect saints we like to think they were. That doesn't take away from their accomplishments, but rather speaks to our desire to put people on a pedestal and idolize them completely. I started a thread about that very thing just a few days ago.