MN man allegedly shot for reaching for his drivers license

Chris0nllyn

St. Anthony Police said in a press release that officers pulled over a vehicle at Larpenteur Avenue and Fry Street at about 9 p.m. They said “shots were fire” during the traffic stop, and a handgun was recovered at the scene. The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating.

Reynolds, who was in the front passenger seat, says in the video that they were pulled over for a broken tail light. She says police asked Castile, who was driving, for his license and registration.

She says as Castile was reaching for his wallet, he informed officers that he had a firearm in his possession, and a conceal-and-carry permit.

Reynolds says in the video that an officer then shot her boyfriend four times

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/06/police-officer-involved-shooting-in-falcon-heights/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Outstanding police work another officer goes home at night, another citizen to the morgue .... #because Blue Lives Matter

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This one looks like nothing but extraordinarily bad/incompetent police conduct.

You have a gun citizen ....

:bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang:

Hijinx

:bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang::bang: :bang: :bang:

Just off hand I would say that , there have been a lot of officers shot and killed lately, it looks like some of them are shooting first and asking questions later.
Not a good sign.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This one looks like nothing but extraordinarily bad/incompetent police conduct.

Mmmm...if the video the girlfriend made is even mostly correct, this would be your basic murder and that cop is in a whole lotta trouble. Depending on what else comes out, this appears to be pretty cut and dried at this point.

SO! Given that, now we get to see what happens when a cop actuallyguns down a black man for no apparent reason. With those other #BLM riot triggers there was indeed cause for the cops to react, and frankly good riddance to those aholes anyway. This one looks and feels different.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Mmmm...if the video the girlfriend made is even mostly correct, this would be your basic murder and that cop is in a whole lotta trouble. Depending on what else comes out, this appears to be pretty cut and dried at this point.

SO! Given that, now we get to see what happens when a cop actuallyguns down a black man for no apparent reason. With those other #BLM riot triggers there was indeed cause for the cops to react, and frankly good riddance to those aholes anyway. This one looks and feels different.

The girlfriend seemed to be able to keep calm and make that video. Good move.

Get pulled over for broken tail light and get shot. Amazing.

PJay

Just off hand I would say that , there have been a lot of officers hot and killed lately, it looks like some of them are shooting first and asking questions later.
Not a good sign.

Understandable. Obama and his media is causing most of what's going on lately. Have CNN on right now and they are trying to build a fire. Exactly what Obama wants. I saw a headline the other day, something about a lot cops are quitting. Imagine no cops....

This_person

This appears to be the root cause - people are afraid of fellow citizens with guns, and it has permeated the police force. A great solution would be more people going with open and concealed carry more often, to "normalize" citizens with guns.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

But his defense before it even goes to trial..

The video that was released contaminated the jury pool.. he's already been convicted on Facebook, ZERO chance he gets a fair trial.. Charges Dismissed..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I hope the cop had a body cam on, because I'm not buying what she was selling... she contradicted herself way too many times.. and was way to calm and matter of fact for somebody sitting next to her dying boyfriend..

Clem72

You have to inform the officer that you have a firearm, which it sounds like he did, but you also need to avoid misinterpretation (I.E. don't yell "I got a gun popo"). Maybe there should be standard language to indicate there is a legal firearm in the vehicle that you don't intend to use.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
In her video she claims that the police said not to move and he was just getting his wallet out of his back pocket when he was shot.

This is a different incident from Arizona, watch how fast things can change.

I hope the cop had a body cam on, because I'm not buying what she was selling... she contradicted herself way too many times.. and was way to calm and matter of fact for somebody sitting next to her dying boyfriend..
Bullcrap, itsbob. I'm of the opinion that she was in shock that her boyfriend was shot dead and all he was doing was reaching for his license/registration after being fully upfront about legally carrying. She had a 4 year old with her and listening to them both I can relate to each trying to calm and comfort the other as they try to comprehend what just happened. She also didn't want her or her daughter shot by an officer who was obviously on edge to begin with and now pumping full of adrenaline.

And now I would like to add that I personally handle stressful and immediate danger situations the same way. I immediately go into a mode of "try not to panic", "try to access and handle", then only once the crisis is over do I lose it or break down... and yes, I've had to deal with life/death situations.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bullcrap, itsbob. I'm of the opinion that she was in shock that her boyfriend was shot dead and all he was doing was reaching for his license/registration after being fully upfront about legally carrying. She had a 4 year old with her and listening to them both I can relate to each trying to calm and comfort the other as they try to comprehend what just happened. She also didn't want her or her daughter shot by an officer who was obviously on edge to begin with and now pumping full of adrenaline.

And now I would like to add that I personally handle stressful and immediate danger situations the same way. I immediately go into a mode of "try not to panic", "try to access and handle", then only once the crisis is over do I lose it or break down... and yes, I've had to deal with life/death situations.

This is my take on it as well. I was impressed that she had presence of mind enough to start recording what was happening as it happened.

Chris0nllyn

This appears to be the root cause - people are afraid of fellow citizens with guns, and it has permeated the police force. A great solution would be more people going with open and concealed carry more often, to "normalize" citizens with guns.

When you're a police officer who is constantly told you're at war with something/someone, you get a bit edgy. When stories come out, regardless of how rare they actually are, like the officers who were shot in NYC, it reverberates throughout departments across the country.

Let's also be honest. Black people probably don't have the highest rate of CCW holders. Though it would be dumb for a criminal to say "hey I have a permit and a gun on me right now", when an officer hears "gun" training kicks in.

You have to inform the officer that you have a firearm, which it sounds like he did, but you also need to avoid misinterpretation (I.E. don't yell "I got a gun popo"). Maybe there should be standard language to indicate there is a legal firearm in the vehicle that you don't intend to use.

Nothing in Minnesota law says permit holders have a duty to inform.
(a) The holder of a permit to carry must have the permit card and a driver's license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

This guy was being courteous and informing the officer.

Chris0nllyn

In her video she claims that the police said not to move and he was just getting his wallet out of his back pocket when he was shot.

This is a different incident from Arizona, watch how fast things can change.

Of course "things can change", but because an incident happened hundreds of miles away, years ago, where an officer was shot does that mean the officer can use that as a defense?

"Sorry your honor, I killed this guy, but you know, things can happen".

Chris0nllyn

Not to mention the cop's reaction. I think he knew he ####ed up.

Hijinx

Not to mention the cop's reaction. I think he knew he ####ed up.

Which bring me back to semi-auto weapons and revolvers.
I like revolvers. People learn to hit what they aim at and not spray bullets everywhere.

Semi-auto pistols you read about the guy getting hit 4 times. Why? because it's so easy to start spraying.
You read about glocks going off at the wrong time. Revolvers seldom do.

I suppose you can argue for the more bullet theory, but to me a revolver is a much safer weapon.

Chris0nllyn

Which bring me back to semi-auto weapons and revolvers.
I like revolvers. People learn to hit what they aim at and not spray bullets everywhere.

Semi-auto pistols you read about the guy getting hit 4 times. Why? because it's so easy to start spraying.
You read about glocks going off at the wrong time. Revolvers seldom do.

I suppose you can argue for the more bullet theory, but to me a revolver is a much safer weapon.

I personally carry a .38spl snub nose revolver (in states I can carry in).

While there have been cases of "spray and pray" (the incident where a few bystanders were hit in NYC a few years back comes to mind), I don't think it's wise for them to be limited to 5-6 rounds and have to carry multiple speed loaders. Let's say it's a bank robbery situation like the one in CA years ago, or an active shooter. I don't think having 15-17 rounds at one time at their disposal is a bad thing.

One could argue for better training, but many officers never have to use their gun anyway.