New Speed Cameras in Calvert School Zones

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The Calvert County Sheriff's Office has announced the implementation of the County's automated speed enforcement program. The County is now one of many jurisdictions to use automated speed enforcement to reduce traffic crashes, pedestrian accidents, and save lives. The program will provide automated enforcement in school zones with a posted speed limit of at least 20 miles per hour. Speed cameras provide police with one more tool to protect pedestrians and other motorists by targeting aggressive driving behaviors.

Calvert County entered into an agreement with the Brekford Corporation to provide and maintain the speed cameras. The speed cameras will be portable and placed in designated school zones throughout the county. The first camera locations will be Mill Creek Middle School, Northern High School, and Mt. Harmony Elementary.

The fine for violating the posted speed limit is $40.00 for each violation. Violators traveling 12 miles over the posted speed limit will activate the speed camera which will result in a violation notice being issued via the US Mail. All violators may pay the fine or request a court date to contest violation notices. During the implementation of the County's program, which will begin on July, 18, 2016 there will be a 30-day period where only warnings will be issued. After that period, fines will be issued to violators.

Photo violations do not result in points and cannot be used to increase a person's insurance rates. Operation of school zone cameras is restricted to Monday through Friday, from 6AM to 8PM.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Photo violations do not result in points and cannot be used to increase a person's insurance rates. Operation of school zone cameras is restricted to Monday through Friday, from 6AM to 8PM.

well lets just call it a speed tax then ..... can I just get a license to drive 65 on 235 between Hollywood and Waldork

glhs837

Power with Control
The County is now one of many jurisdictions to use automated speed enforcement to reduce traffic crashes, pedestrian accidents, and save lives. The program will provide automated enforcement in school zones with a posted speed limit of at least 20 miles per hour. Speed cameras provide police with one more tool to protect pedestrians and other motorists by targeting aggressive driving behaviors.

Operation of school zone cameras is restricted to Monday through Friday, from 6AM to 8PM.

Hmmm, so how many pedestrians have been hit in school zones in Calvert these last 20 years? How many crashes that were caused by speed and not failure to yield? How many fatal accidents have happened in school zones in Calvert these last 20 years?

If the answers to these questions are None, then why the hell do you have the cameras?

Note while operation is limited to school hours, it is a 365 day a year operation.

And Gurps, yes, it's basically a speed tax. Because the best parasites do not irritate the host too much, or take too much blood. Because then the host organism scrapes off the parasite.

awpitt

Main Streeter
These cameras will have no impact on you if you obey the speed limit. Geez, they don't even activate unless you're going 12 mph over the limit. Stop your whining.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, asking the govt to focus it's enforcement efforts on things that actually deliver real results is whining? Asking the govt to not engage in enforcement for profit is whining? Of course they wont affect me. And the OMG, its only triggering at 12mph over is part of the shill, man. Give proponents a hook, just like school zones being the only place, and the fine being restricted to $40. It's all part of the sell so you will be okay with them practicing traffic enforcement for profit, not safety. Would you consider it whining were the county to allow officers to keep 30% of every ticket they issue?

awpitt

Main Streeter
So, asking the govt to focus it's enforcement efforts on things that actually deliver real results is whining? Asking the govt to not engage in enforcement for profit is whining? Of course they wont affect me. And the OMG, its only triggering at 12mph over is part of the shill, man. Give proponents a hook, just like school zones being the only place, and the fine being restricted to $40. It's all part of the sell so you will be okay with them practicing traffic enforcement for profit, not safety. Would you consider it whining were the county to allow officers to keep 30% of every ticket they issue?

Please reread my post. I always see people complain about speed cameras. Yet, if you drive within the speed limit (which you should be doing regardless) the speed cameras will have no impact on you. I do agree with you in that the fine should be higher.

Clem72

Seems pretty obvious that the "for the kids" argument is bull####, but you keep saying it's not for safety because it isn't financially deterrent and doesn't put points against your license. Would you truly be okay with the cameras if they did issue a $200 fine and however many points?

As one of the seemingly few local residents that likes to drive at or around the speed limit (generally 3-5 above), I am all for the cameras, even if just to piss off all you hotrodders that try to drive up my ass when I am only going 60 (in a 55) in the slow lane.

If it's a matter of being late, how about you leave 5 minutes earlier.

glhs837

Power with Control
Please reread my post. I always see people complain about speed cameras. Yet, if you drive within the speed limit (which you should be doing regardless) the speed cameras will have no impact on you. I do agree with you in that the fine should be higher.

So, when govt misbehaves, I should only care when it impacts me personally? I expect got to act in the best interests of the citizens, not their own pocketbook and not for the profit of private companies. Especially so when there is not even a measurable gain back to the public in return for this. So, no, I wont stop complaining about it. It's wrong, and people should know that.

So, about that fine. Since the point of fines is to deter unsafe behavior, if there has been no negative safety impact, why bother? Again, the school zone thing is an emotional hook. If you don't have a problem with kids and cars getting run into, then the point of the exercise seems to be revenue, not safety. If enforcement isn't about safety, it shouldn't be done. You didn't answer about the 30% thing, I note.

glhs837

Power with Control
Seems pretty obvious that the "for the kids" argument is bull####, but you keep saying it's not for safety because it isn't financially deterrent and doesn't put points against your license. Would you truly be okay with the cameras if they did issue a $200 fine and however many points?

As one of the seemingly few local residents that likes to drive at or around the speed limit (generally 3-5 above), I am all for the cameras, even if just to piss off all you hotrodders that try to drive up my ass when I am only going 60 (in a 55) in the slow lane.

If it's a matter of being late, how about you leave 5 minutes earlier.

Ah, the inevitable "if you disagree with these things, it because you are a speeding crazy driver". About the increased fine and points. In the case of speed cameras in school zones, sure, with a couple of caveats. Make it revenue neutral. Meaning the company makes no more profit than any other vendor. The vendor is NOT paid per citation but per year of service. any govt revenue gets refunded to citizens. Add a requirement that there must actually be a safety problem in that school zone. We require that to add red lights, don't we?

Please, don't characterize me and my driving simply because we disagree. You don't know how I drive, so don't make it up based on how you feel about something. I generally go about 5-7 or so above the posted limit, conditions permitting of course. I don't tail gate, I don't exceed the flow of traffic speed by more than a few mph, no matter the speed limit.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I think it's just that we'd wish they'd call it what it actually is... revenue generation. If there's never been an accident or injury along that stretch of road (school or no school), then is it really about safety? Was the road not designed to be safely traveled at 12+ miles over the posted speed limit? If the locals are fine with it being about generating revenue then that's fine with me. But don't call it one thing when it's absolutely about another.

RPMDAD

JMHO but if this is just for revenue generation, i think the school that would produce the most money would be Huntingtown High School which sits right on Rte 4 south, i guarantee many cars go by there faster than 12 MPH over the limit.

Clem72

Please, don't characterize me and my driving simply because we disagree. You don't know how I drive, so don't make it up based on how you feel about something. I generally go about 5-7 or so above the posted limit, conditions permitting of course. I don't tail gate, I don't exceed the flow of traffic speed by more than a few mph, no matter the speed limit.

My first paragraph was directed at you specifically, the second was a general declaration of why I am okay with the speed cameras. I don't believe I made a comment about the way you drive, In fact I directed it specifically at "all you hotrodders" and then defined an action that people in that class do that pisses me off.

If I had added a third paragraph that said I support the amber alert because I hate all you kiddy diddlers too, would you have assumed I was talking about you as well?

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, no, when you are talking to me in a post, you should say all of "those" hotrodders to distinguish your new subject from the person you were talking to.

I hate all of those slow people in the right lane.

I hate all of you slow people in the right lane.

One of those lumps you, the person I'm talking to into the group, one does not. And for the record, I love people going slow in the right lane. I applaud them. the above sentences were for illustrative purposes only.

glhs837

Power with Control
JMHO but if this is just for revenue generation, i think the school that would produce the most money would be Huntingtown High School which sits right on Rte 4 south, i guarantee many cars go by there faster than 12 MPH over the limit.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0315/board-gives-cops-green-light-on-speed-cams.html

"A Maryland law governs the criteria for “photographic speed enforcement in school zones.” Passage of a local ordinance is required. While utilization of the cameras may begin on county roads upon passage of the ordinance, a six-month study would be required to implement the use on state roads."

So, I assume such a study would have to be funded and that takes time. Not sure if the state gets a say so like they do over the red light cameras which they exercised here in St Marys though.

Clem72

Ah, no, when you are talking to me in a post, you should say all of "those" hotrodders to distinguish your new subject from the person you were talking to.

I hate all of those slow people in the right lane.

I hate all of you slow people in the right lane.

One of those lumps you, the person I'm talking to into the group, one does not. And for the record, I love people going slow in the right lane. I applaud them. the above sentences were for illustrative purposes only.

As much as I appreciate the English lesson, context and critical thinking still trump (if you have those, you might could tell I don't in fact appreciate the English lesson).

You want to infer an accusation that wasn't intended, be my guest.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dance all you want.

Twist all you want.

Unless you specify, you refers to the person you are talking to. If you don't want English lessons, use the language properly.

That second sentence doesn't apply to you, btw. Context, ya know. :)

vince77

Dance all you want.

Twist all you want.

Unless you specify, you refers to the person you are talking to. If you don't want English lessons, use the language properly.

That second sentence doesn't apply to you, btw. Context, ya know. :)

lmao....catch your breath ..... defending people traveling 12 mph over the speed limit is hard work huh? :howdy:

glhs837

Power with Control
Not at all. First, I'm not defending them. Saying police shouldn't shoot people shoplifting (looters, shoot them all day long :)) isn't defending shoplifters, it's asking for govt to act properly. I'm objecting to the automated enforcement not defending speeders. And since the proponents have no leg to stand on, it's pretty easy :) You folks just call people names and infer bad things about them and cry "The children, it's for the children, wont anyone think of the children!!!!. Tell you what, lets install plaster leprechauns at 500 foot intervals in all the school zones. Want to bet the amount of children harmed by speeders remains the same as in school zones with cameras? Or ones without either? Zero equals zero equals zero.

Oh, and you folks doesn't refer to you, Vince:) Just folks. :)

pgchustla

Bravo!

We should put a few coming into the town centers on Rt 4. Hell, put them on every road. People drive way too fast.