Pokemon - GO Mania

Erk

From a family getting lost while walking in the woods at St. Mary's State Park (after dark when the park closed) to my Facebook feed, the world is full of Pokémon.

Cons:
- Somebody's gonna get killed, and soon. You think texting and driving is bad? I've already watched one car go into a ditch (at slow speeds) while the driver was flicking his phone tossing a 'ball.
- People are going to get annoyed that their institution is a Pokestop (a place to get more supplies in the game)/. The little church just outside my neighborhood is such a place. I see lots of traffic, cars turn in, linger a few moments, leave. Bet people don't cease their visits on Sundays. The Holocaust Museum is not amused either.

Pros:
- It's basically an exercise app. I've seen teens I did not know existed all over my neighborhood walking. One I introduced myself too had lived down the street for 10 years. I'd never seen him outside before. One of my older children was put down 20 kilometers in the past 5 days playing the game. That total would normally be zero.
- Visit Leonardtown Wharf, a hot-spot of the game. You'll see a bunch of folks out interacting, being social, and having fun that were not there before.
- Some businesses are making a killing. You can put a 'lure' down on your place of business, and the players flock to catch the pokemon, well, flocking there.

Somebody is going to be very, very rich over this. And a whole new set of social issues caused by technology will be discovered.

Last edited:

idiganthro

If people would just use common courtesy and sense. I've read where places like Auschwitz and the Holocaust Museum have asked people not play the game there. I mean, really? If you are walking through Auschwitz flicking pokeballs on your phone something is disconnected in your brain. Collecting pokeman while driving? Dangerous and dumb.

Conversely, like you say, I work at a small state park and I've noticed more folks walking the trails in groups, laughing and playing the game. Yes, they are playing a game on their phones, but at least they're out socializing and being active too.

I downloaded the thing and played for a couple days. Obviously I'm not the target market because I think it's boring!

wubbles

I see lots of poke trainers walking around. I think it's a good thing and I love reading the stories about people playing the game and having very positive interactions with their community especially the police.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Awww, Wii U didn't do so well?? Shouldn't have stopped making the original Wii. I agree with the OP, it's only a matter of time before someone seriously gets hurt whether playing while driving or someone setting up the fake spots so they can rob game players.

it's already been done.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
it's already been done.

I meant seriously hurt while being robbed. Unless I missed that article. Has there been any serious accidents or just minor fender benders? I came home yesterday and my daughter was playing. Of course we live in the woods in Chaptico so she's not going to find much :lol:

I meant seriously hurt while being robbed. Unless I missed that article. Has there been any serious accidents or just minor fender benders? I came home yesterday and my daughter was playing. Of course we live in the woods in Chaptico so she's not going to find much :lol:

Yes. Check out the Pokemon Go - Explained thread.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Pokémon Go: armed robbers use mobile game to lure players into trap
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body

Pokémon Go blamed for crimes but also aids embattled U.S. police
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pokemon-...ttled-u-police-211737969--finance.html?ref=gs

In College Park, Maryland, university students holding their smartphones out to play Pokemon Go were robbed on Tuesday night by an armed suspect, police said. In Antelope, California, two men playing the game in a park late on Sunday reported being robbed and carjacked by a gunman.

Fireworks were thrown from an SUV at a group playing the game after midnight on Monday on the streets of Boca Raton, Florida, police there said. No injuries were reported.

And in Wyoming, a 19-year-old woman who set out to catch a Pokemon by the Big Wind River on Friday instead found a dead body.

The game was also to blame for a rash of car accidents in the United States. An illegally parked car whose driver had exited to catch a Pokemon was struck from behind, according to reports from Texas A&M University police, and another car struck a tree while its driver was playing the game while driving, Auburn New York police said.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Waiting for the lawsuits....

If that works, then gun manufacturers, distillers, etc. would be responsible for stupid behavior.

You walk off a cliff, after squeezing through a fence, your are an IDIOT.
They deserve the Darwin Award.

Goldenhawk

It turns out that our church has a PokeStop on its property. We have discovered the amazing lack of self-restraint and consideration in the gameplaying crowd. The stop is right in the middle of our daycare playground, and numerous people have arrived midday, completely ignoring requests to honor the playground boundaries when the daycare children are present. They even cursed out the staff when they were asked to leave. We've been forced to put up "No Trespassing" signs on church property, so that the police can legally get involved to stop blatant abuse.

I've seen discussions of churches requesting that a stop or gym be added at their property, to help draw people there. I hope they understand what they're really getting into, because from our evidence they don't care about anything but collecting imaginary creatures.

Erk

It turns out that our church has a PokeStop on its property. We have discovered the amazing lack of self-restraint and consideration in the gameplaying crowd. The stop is right in the middle of our daycare playground, and numerous people have arrived midday, completely ignoring requests to honor the playground boundaries when the daycare children are present. They even cursed out the staff when they were asked to leave. We've been forced to put up "No Trespassing" signs on church property, so that the police can legally get involved to stop blatant abuse.

I've seen discussions of churches requesting that a stop or gym be added at their property, to help draw people there. I hope they understand what they're really getting into, because from our evidence they don't care about anything but collecting imaginary creatures.

There is a way to request your 'Poke-stop' be removed. http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/14/pokemon-go-how-to-request-or-remove-a-pokestop-or-gym/ But I am sure it's not a quick process.

Goldenhawk

There is a way to request your 'Poke-stop' be removed. http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/14/pokemon-go-how-to-request-or-remove-a-pokestop-or-gym/ But I am sure it's not a quick process.

We did request removal immediately. But the Niantic Labs track record with Ingress (the older sibling of Pokémon Go) is not encouraging; it took them many months to respond to requests. Now, they've launched this game worldwide and have plenty of bug reports to process; I'm very un-optimistic about our chances now.

We're discussing getting our church's legal counsel involved; there are real risks of harm to both the daycare workers and children, not to mention the risks of unauthorized visitors on the property at night - risks to both our property AND to the visitors.

I'd hate to think we need to hire 24-hour security to keep a church property secure.

NIU_Huskies

I can't complain, i've made 24% profit off Nintendo stock in only one week's time. Supposedly going to announce a partnership with McDonald's soon and the game isn't even available in Japan yet. More profits to come...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Waiting for the lawsuits....

yup. Absolutely idiotic and brainless practice by the seekers, exactly what the gaming industry wants. Waiting, and probably not too long, for the first person to be killed in the middle of the night by some homeowner/business owner properly protecting themselves from peeps busting onto their premesises....

Kinnakeet

Another dumb ass game that the humans follow seems to be as stupid as candy crush,what the hell is the human race coming too.:razz: