CDC needs to break silence on gun violence .....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/health/cdc-gun-research-black-health-leaders/index.html

"As an African-American man, Dr. Georges Benjamin says he feels like "an endangered species," due to gun violence claiming the lives of men his color disproportionately to their numbers.

Benjamin is executive director of the American Public Health Association, and he has a message for the nation's top public health official, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control: Stop your silence on guns.

Frieden has spoken, written and tweeted prolifically on a wide range of health and safety issues during his six-year tenure at the CDC, but he's kept deafeningly silent on the issue of gun violence, the second-biggest killer of young people in the United States.

His supporters call Frieden's silence a wise course of action, as powerful members of Congress aligned with the National Rifle Association may take away hundreds of millions of dollars in CDC funding if he utters even one word that could be construed as supporting gun control.
But after explosive levels of gun violence in U.S. cities -- more than 2,000 victims this year in Chicago alone -- as well as the recent mass shootings in Orlando and Dallas, African-American public health leaders are coming forward to say Frieden should change course. They believe he could help save lives if he steps up and highlights the dangers of gun violence.
"It's time to speak up," Benjamin said. "The CDC is a trusted organization, and the white coat is a very powerful tool."

Benjamin and others say if Frieden broke his silence, it could encourage state and federal legislators to pass measures to decrease gun violence. Perhaps Congress would even give CDC money to study ways to prevent the violence -- funding that was taken away more than 20 years ago. ".....>

limblips

PREMO Member
Over 2000 gunshot victims in Chicago already? That is crazy. They need to enact some gun laws. Oh, wait...............

nutz

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/health/cdc-gun-research-black-health-leaders/index.html

"As an African-American man, Dr. Georges Benjamin says he feels like "an endangered species," due to gun violence claiming the lives of men his color disproportionately to their numbers.

Benjamin is executive director of the American Public Health Association, and he has a message for the nation's top public health official, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control: Stop your silence on guns.

Frieden has spoken, written and tweeted prolifically on a wide range of health and safety issues during his six-year tenure at the CDC, but he's kept deafeningly silent on the issue of gun violence, the second-biggest killer of young people in the United States.

His supporters call Frieden's silence a wise course of action, as powerful members of Congress aligned with the National Rifle Association may take away hundreds of millions of dollars in CDC funding if he utters even one word that could be construed as supporting gun control.
But after explosive levels of gun violence in U.S. cities -- more than 2,000 victims this year in Chicago alone -- as well as the recent mass shootings in Orlando and Dallas, African-American public health leaders are coming forward to say Frieden should change course. They believe he could help save lives if he steps up and highlights the dangers of gun violence.
"It's time to speak up," Benjamin said. "The CDC is a trusted organization, and the white coat is a very powerful tool."

Benjamin and others say if Frieden broke his silence, it could encourage state and federal legislators to pass measures to decrease gun violence. Perhaps Congress would even give CDC money to study ways to prevent the violence -- funding that was taken away more than 20 years ago. ".....>

Just because he's black, don't make him right

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Revoking take your gun to school day, or removing them from playground vending machines.

Couldn't they just increase the vending machine prices so that fewer kids could afford them? Or wait..I know...make sales tax apply to guns sales too.

CDC Disease Control

If he wants to stand up and shout, fine, great. But dragging the CDC into this? An organization that is not supposed to be politically biased and is supposed to worry about the control of disease, not guns? Zika is a disease. Lyme is a disease. Guns are not a disease (although there are those who will try to interpret it as such).

I'm surprised the CDC isn't trying to shut him up or distance themselves.

stew77

It is so SAD that the liberals do not realize it is the PERSON, The Crazy one, the Stupid one that causes the gun deaths. Guns do not do it on their own.. Statistic I read today: There are 52% of the Murders in the country, performed by 13.5% of the total black population. Think about it..? You only hear of the White klillings of the Black people, not the Black on Black killing in the media. Lets look at Chicago? So that is ANOTHER problem...THE MEDIA!!! Question: What ever happened to Truth in Reporting for all Newspapers/Periodicals?? I get two Newspapers a day, The Times and the Post. They are so different for each LIKE story that I do not know what to believe.. I guess depending on the way the wind blows when I read them??

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CDC Disease Control

If he wants to stand up and shout, fine, great. But dragging the CDC into this? An organization that is not supposed to be politically biased and is supposed to worry about the control of disease, not guns? Zika is a disease. Lyme is a disease. Guns are not a disease (although there are those who will try to interpret it as such).

I'm surprised the CDC isn't trying to shut him up or distance themselves.

Liberals have been screaming for a 'study' on gun violence for years ...
... they want to collate all of the local police data and cook up some numbers that will bolster their 'we need to ban guns' argument

Why Congress Cut The CDC’s Gun Research Budget

The Centers for Disease Control was using taxpayer money to pay for biased advocacy studies about guns and gun control.

Regardless, the narrative here is that gun lobbyists are injecting politics into a serious health issue for the American public. The truth is something a bit less clandestine, at least coming from NRA and Congress.

CDC Leaders Admit They Want to Ban Guns

In the late ’80s and early ’90s, the CDC was openly biased in opposing gun rights. CDC official and research head Patrick O’Carroll stated in a 1989 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, “We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths.” This sounds more like activist rhetoric than it does scientific research, as O’Carroll effectively set out with the goal of confirmation bias, saying “We will prove it,” and not the scientific objectiveness of asking “Does it?”

‘It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol — cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly — and banned.’

O’Carroll went on to deny he had said this, claiming he was misquoted. However, his successor and director of the CDC National Center of Injury Prevention branch Mark Rosenberg told Rolling Stone in 1993 that he “envisions a long term campaign, similar to tobacco use and auto safety, to convince Americans that guns are, first and foremost, a public health menace.” He went on to tell the Washington Post in 1994 “We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol — cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly — and banned.”

CDC leaders were not shy about their intentions of banning guns from the public. Sure enough, they acted on their desires. In October 1993, The New England Journal of Medicine released a study funded by the CDC to the tune of $1.7 million, entitled “Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home.” The leader author was Dr. Arthur Kellermann, an epidemiologist, physician, and outspoken advocate of gun control.

[clip]

Unreliable Gun Research

However, the research was beyond flawed. For one, Kellermann used epidemiological methods in an attempt to investigate an issue dealing with criminology. In effect, this means he was treating gun violence the same as, say, the spread of West Nile, or bird flu.

It provided no proof or examples that the murder weapon used in these crimes belonged to the homeowner or had been kept in that home.

Furthermore, the gun victims he studied were anomalies. They were selected from homicide victims living in metropolitan areas with high gun-crime statistics, which completely discounted the statistical goliath of areas where gun owners engage in little to no crime.

Other factors that lent to the study’s unreliability were: It is based entirely on people murdered in their homes, with 50 percent admitting this was the result of a “quarrel or romantic triangle,” and 30 percent said it was during a drug deal or other felonies such as rape or burglary; it made no consideration for guns used in self-defense; it provided no proof or examples that the murder weapon used in these crimes belonged to the homeowner or had been kept in that home.

These problems prompted objections and questions from leading scientists in the field of criminology, such as Yale University professor John Lott, Florida State’s Gary Kleck, and University of Massachusetts sociology professors James D. Wright and Peter H. Rossi. Their research had come to vastly different conclusions, and they found the methodology unsound.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I think the CDC should investigate. My big Glock gave me a fever, and the only prescription is.... more ammo!!!

Hijinx

I never realized that a Lot of Black Doctors were dying and have become an endangered species.
I would think if the Doc stayed in Gaithersburg with all of the other liberals he would be pretty safe.
now if he took a ride through Anacostia he might have a problem , but not from the police,his problem would come from the others on the endangered species list.
You see the blacks are actually why he is on the endangered species list.
pretty cool huh start your own endangered species list by killing each other.

By they way I might add that they haven't seen killing yet. If they try to take guns it could get really bad.