Gastroenterologist recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm on the search for a good gastro doc for my daughter. I was on a few websites this morning and see that my local choices seem to be either the Bean building (Shah group) or the GI Associates in Waldorf. The consumer review websites, like Health Grades, seem to give better reviews for the group in Waldorf. I don't mind making the trip out of St. Mary's, but wondered if anyone had a different recommendation or had, in fact, had a good experience with Dr. UK Shah, Dr. Kinkaria, etc at the Bean center. Or, is there someone else in Calvert that I'm not even aware of?

TIA

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I can't say anything about the doctors that you've mentioned, but I have experience with Dr. Sewchand at GI Associates and I was very pleased.

michael.kinsel

The GI doctors in St. Mary's only mask the problems by putting you on medications without ever locating the cause of your issues. I have seen both those doctors and won't go back. I have been told GI Associates of Maryland up in Waldorf is the place to go. I have an appointment next week, fingers crossed. I want to be diagnosed with SOMETHING, not just prescribed antacids for the rest of my life.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I saw Dr Iram Khan at the Bean Building, for a swallowing problem. After an endoscopy and other tests, she recommended taking an acid blocker for 6 months to see if treating the symptoms helped, as there was no scarring as a result or hiatal hernia as a cause. This predated the pancreatic cancer diagnosis by 8 months.

Both enhanced endoscopies I had during the diagnosing phase of the cancer showed the esophagus being in good shape, so I'll say what Dr Khan recommended worked for me, have not had acid reflux or the swallowing problem since. Will continue to see her.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I've seen Dr. N. Shah at the Bean Bldg. twice. I was diagnosed with an ulcer due to NSAID's then about 5 yrs later symptoms came back in spite of taking my meds everyday. Another endoscopy showed Barrett's Esophagus. Only thing I didn't like was I didn't know I wasn't supposed to take the meds on a long term basis. No one told me.

Popster

I think N Shaw is in the phase of his career where the golf course is very important. I switched to Dr. Khan and am impressed and very satisfied with her.

I wasn't happy with my limited choices here for a gastro or surgeon, so I went out-of-state to Arkansas. Found some absolutely terrific doctors and surgeons there and so glad I did.

Not saying docs here are bad, I just needed more options.

Roman

I've been going to G.I. Associates in Waldorf for about 10 years, and absolutely love them. My Doctor is Dr. Mills. She's wonderful. I live in southern Calvert County, and they are worth the drive.

dave1959

I've been going to G.I. Associates in Waldorf for about 10 years, and absolutely love them. My Doctor is Dr. Mills. She's wonderful. I live in southern Calvert County, and they are worth the drive.

My wife also sees Dr Mills... We like her a lot better than anyone at Shah's

Connellsville

My family has been going to GI Associates in Waldorf for over 5 years. We have found them to be very competent. Very pleased with Dr. Sewchand.

Just as a follow up - we ended up going up the road quite a bit to Georgetown GI pediatric department. I called several of the suggestions listed here -- thank you to all who took the time to share their experiences! Unfortunately, many did not take pediatric patients. We did some additional research and made an appointment with Dr. Sood at her office up in DC. The appointment went well, and I felt like the office spent quite a bit of time talking to our daughter and coming up with a treatment plan. The doctor, herself, had a good bedside manner and a sense of humor that was much appreciated. If anyone is still in need of a pediatric GI, I would highly recommend that particular office on Wisconsin Ave. (They're not on the Georgetown campus, but closer to the zoo.)

Roman

Just as a follow up - we ended up going up the road quite a bit to Georgetown GI pediatric department. I called several of the suggestions listed here -- thank you to all who took the time to share their experiences! Unfortunately, many did not take pediatric patients. We did some additional research and made an appointment with Dr. Sood at her office up in DC. The appointment went well, and I felt like the office spent quite a bit of time talking to our daughter and coming up with a treatment plan. The doctor, herself, had a good bedside manner and a sense of humor that was much appreciated. If anyone is still in need of a pediatric GI, I would highly recommend that particular office on Wisconsin Ave. (They're not on the Georgetown campus, but closer to the zoo.)
Happy to hear that you found someone that you like. That's really important.

Hardcrab

I did my thing with the Shahs and the Bean Bldg. doctors when my family and I first came to Maryland in 1993. After too many misdiagnoses' and to many "well I think it could be this lets do some more tests...." I got the message. I stopped going to any doctors here in St Mary's County over 10 years ago and never looked back.
I realize doctors are only human and do make mistakes but it's a bit more important when it comes to your health.

This is just my experience and my opinion.

Vr
Mark

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I think N Shaw is in the phase of his career where the golf course is very important. I switched to Dr. Khan and am impressed and very satisfied with her.

I heard a day or two ago he may have a health issue.