Trail Cameras

Chris0nllyn

About to start work on my fall food plot and looking at some trail cams.

Anyone have any recommendations for cams around $120 or so? I'm looking at the Moultrie M-880 but wanted to ask around.

limblips

PREMO Member

Anyone have any recommendations for cams around $120 or so? I'm looking at the Moultrie M-880 but wanted to ask around.

There are so many brands out there (many made by the same manufacturer but put in a different case) that I got confused. I finally narrowed it down by making a list of required features, nice to have features, and fluff. I ignored the brand. When I had it narrowed down to a few the deciding vote was cast by price. I got the best price on Amazon.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

I've been using Wildgame Inovations for years. They have held up well and easy on batteries.....Nice pics....

Chris0nllyn

I've been using Wildgame Inovations for years. They have held up well and easy on batteries.....Nice pics....

That was another brand I was looking at but heard mixed reviews. Thanks!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner....

Of all places, Aldi's had a GoPro lookalike camera on sale for $40. Came with a 4Gb SD card and a whold bunch of mounts. User manual says it has motion detect video record.

http://www.bresser.de/out/media/575f1cce2bf573a3cb248f13e5744f4e.pdf

English version is 1/3 way thru the manual.

Heck, for $40 you can't go wrong.

That's a hell of a deal for a GoPro type camera but I'm looking more for a game camera. Something I can strap to a tree and leave out for months and take pics/videos based on movement.

Chris0nllyn

I ended up getting the Moultrie M-880. Got my food plot in the ground last week and checked the camera card yesterday. I need to do some adjusting, but there's deer and turkey out there.

Pictures look good on 4MP setting, but I may bump it up to 8MP to see if there's any difference. The night time IR shots are BRIGHT. Like, white washing a deer 10' away bright, but it easily picks up the biggest part of my plot.

rationality

You can take a second-hand Spartan HD GoCam. If you will find it in good condition of course. But in my opinion, this cam is too expensive if you take it new, so there are many other cheap cams wich are not worst. I bought Bushnell MP HD Essential E3 last year and it is still working great, I have charged it just once. In my opinion best trail cameras are made by more unknown brands because they work hard to get a good reputation. Anyway I am fully satisfied with my purchase. The camera has great quality and does not much sound, so animals do not scare it.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

You can take a second-hand Spartan HD GoCam. If you will find in a good condition of course

Thanks. In the 4 years since my post I've had good success with the Moultrie. I grabbed a few cheap ones off Amazon and the guy I share the property with uses the Spartan (the cellular version, so he can see all the big deer when he's not in his stand. :lol:)

Still waiting to get this one real big deer I've seen for the last 4 years.