Decency For President

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"If you've been following the presidential campaign, you have probably heard some talk about the power of the evangelical vote. Pastor Max Lucado is a prominent evangelical pastor and a prolific best-selling writer who almost never writes about politics. And that's one reason millions found a recent essay of his so interesting.

Lucado took to his website to describe all the reasons he says Republican front-runner Donald Trump's tone and decorum fail the decency test, in a blog post titled "Decency for President."
He cites Trump's belittling of women and people with disabilities, among other people, and his constant name-calling. He says such comments "wouldn't be acceptable even for a middle school student body election ... but for the oval office?" His essay, also published in the Washington Post, has now been shared millions of times.

Lucado spoke with NPR's Michel Martin about his blog post and the response. Here are some of the highlights of their conversation:

Michel Martin: What is it that made you want to weigh in here? Why now?

Max Lucado: Kind of the bottom line for me, I don't think people come to the church where I preach to hear my view on politics. I'd like to think I'm going upriver in talking about world-view topics rather than particular political or controversial topics. So I've just stayed away from it through the years, which is funny because there was a time I wanted to go into politics. And so all of a sudden, here I am, I guess. I'm in the thick of it.

I would not have said anything about Mr. Trump, never — I would never have said anything if he didn't call himself a Christian. It'd be none of my business whatsoever to make any comments about his language, his vulgarities, his slander of people, but I was deeply troubled ... that here's a man who holds up a Bible one day, and calls a lady "bimbo" the next. Here's a man who calls himself a Christian and yet just has the audacity to make fun of a lady's menstrual cycle. ... He didn't just do this on occasion, but repeatedly, unrepentantly. Somebody sent me a list of 64 people he's called loser. Just this week it's continued. ...

It deeply concerns me that somebody who knows little or nothing about the Christian faith would hear Mr. Trump call himself a Christian and then make a decision based on the Christian faith, based on his behavior. And so I just felt like I should say something. I did not expect to stir up the dust storm that this blog has stirred up."

Continue reading here: https://maxlucado.com/decency-for-president/

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
"If you've been following the presidential campaign, you have probably heard some talk about the power of the evangelical vote. Pastor Max Lucado is a prominent evangelical pastor and a prolific best-selling writer who almost never writes about politics. And that's one reason millions found a recent essay of his so interesting.

Lucado took to his website to describe all the reasons he says Republican front-runner Donald Trump's tone and decorum fail the decency test, in a blog post titled "Decency for President."
He cites Trump's belittling of women and people with disabilities, among other people, and his constant name-calling. He says such comments "wouldn't be acceptable even for a middle school student body election ... but for the oval office?" His essay, also published in the Washington Post, has now been shared millions of times.

Lucado spoke with NPR's Michel Martin about his blog post and the response. Here are some of the highlights of their conversation:

Max Lucado: Kind of the bottom line for me, I don't think people come to the church where I preach to hear my view on politics. I'd like to think I'm going upriver in talking about world-view topics rather than particular political or controversial topics. So I've just stayed away from it through the years, which is funny because there was a time I wanted to go into politics. And so all of a sudden, here I am, I guess. I'm in the thick of it.

I would not have said anything about Mr. Trump, never — I would never have said anything if he didn't call himself a Christian. It'd be none of my business whatsoever to make any comments about his language, his vulgarities, his slander of people, but I was deeply troubled ... that here's a man who holds up a Bible one day, and calls a lady "bimbo" the next. Here's a man who calls himself a Christian and yet just has the audacity to make fun of a lady's menstrual cycle. ... He didn't just do this on occasion, but repeatedly, unrepentantly. Somebody sent me a list of 64 people he's called loser. Just this week it's continued. ...

It deeply concerns me that somebody who knows little or nothing about the Christian faith would hear Mr. Trump call himself a Christian and then make a decision based on the Christian faith, based on his behavior. And so I just felt like I should say something. I did not expect to stir up the dust storm that this blog has stirred up."

It sounds just like you........mirror.......

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Pastor Max Lucado is a prominent evangelical pastor and a prolific best-selling writer who almost never writes about politics.

:shrug:

Prominent for who, I have never heard of the guy until now, it is a sad fact Progressives ONLY care about Evangelical Pastor when that pastor has something to say against a GOP Candidate

Hijinx

Prominent for who, I have never heard of the guy until now, it is a sad fact Progressives ONLY care about Evangelical Pastor when that pastor has something to say against a GOP Candidate

Geeesus H. Keerist, This guy mentions decency and calls out Trump.
Give me a break. Where was this a-wipe hiding when Bubba was beating off in the WH sink and Hillary was defending him for it.
How decent is it to fire an entire travel staff and hire her friends or there is always the decency of stealing the WH Silverware.

Maybe this Evangelist guy was sleeping during all of this.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...st-hits-get-fcked-stay-the-fck-out-of-my-way/

“Where is the G-damn f**king flag? I want the G-damn f**king flag up every f**king morning at f**king sunrise.”
“You sold out, you mother f**ker! You sold out!”

The site is filled with Hillaryisms.

I don't mind someone knocking on Trump for some of his classless hyperbole but to make statements about his decency when compared with Hillary is just downright ignorant dyed in the wool Bullsh1t.

This fellow needs to spend a little more time getting out in the world and learning what decency is, because if he calls Hillary decent he sure doesn't know.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll take the crass honest person every time over the lying smooth talker. Where is the decency in lying and hiding your public record, the lying about that? Where is the decency in rigging your primary election? Where is the decency in decrying the 1%ers as evil pigs, but taking their money to fuel your 1%er lifestyle? Where is the decency in setting up a charity foundation to launder bribery money?

Those sorts of decency, I can live without.....

SamSpade

No, I have and even though I'm not a big buyer of Christian-themed books, I noticed I have a couple of his. So no, he's not just some guy.
Plus, I spent many years in the Church of Christ, and he's big there, being a pastor and having gone to Abilene Christian (one of the few CoC schools of note).

And at least, he is right about the crudeness of Trump. But I'm not convinced that any of our Presidents and wannabes of the last thirty years would merit approval either.
Even Bush, who was probably the most outwardly Christian leader in my adult life had his moments of vulgarity.

DON'T get into the weeds of whether decisions made by Presidents qualify as moral or Christian. They can NEVER be. The best you can hope for is that they temper their choices with compassion and wisdom, but what they are charged to do is to serve and protect a nation, which means they MUST make some decidedly un-Christian decisions. This is exactly why a man's choices in religion usually have little bearing on my support for them. There are devout men who are terrible leaders, and there are certainly non-religious ones who make awful decisions. I don't link a man's religion to his effectiveness as a leader. (I make a few exceptions - when it's something bizarre like Scientology or animism, I tend to doubt their intellect). Let me put it this way - how much stock do you put in the religion of the head of your company?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There are devout men who are terrible leaders, and there are certainly non-religious ones who make awful decisions. I don't link a man's religion to his effectiveness as a leader. (I make a few exceptions - when it's something bizarre like Scientology or animism, I tend to doubt their intellect). Let me put it this way - how much stock do you put in the religion of the head of your company?

my point is, progressives - ya know Christianity has no place in politics folks - start suddenly quoting Evangelicals when it suits their need for an attack dog

and NO at my current JOB [fortune 500 company] I am not concerned about the Church going habits of the CEO

SamSpade

my point is, progressives - ya know Christianity has no place in politics folks - start suddenly quoting Evangelicals when it suits their need for an attack dog

and NO at my current JOB [fortune 500 company] I am not concerned about the Church going habits of the CEO

Oh I hear you - I similarly shudder when I head any politician quoting Scripture and clearly not understanding the context - or in a few cases - Al Gore comes to mind - quoting it entirely wrong.
(I similarly shudder when I see it in TV and movies - someone refers to some obscure verse, and the person they're speaking to finishes the verse, as though it's the kind of quote every kid learns in Sunday school - but it isn't. AND quoted out of context.)

Hijinx

I have nothing against the guy saying decency is important ---it is.

But speaking out against Trump for his words while ignoring Hillary's is just plain stupid.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Hey boy, you want decency? Here's some decency for ya ....

............./´¯/).............(\¯`\
............/....//...............\\....\
.........../....//.................\\....\
...../´¯/..../´¯\............../¯`\....\¯`\..
.././.../..../..../.|_......._|.\....\....\...\.\..
(.(....(....(..../.)..).....(..(.\....)....).....).)
.\................\/.../......\...\/................/
..\................. /.........\................../
....\..............(............).............../
......\.............\.........../............../

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

The US survived having LBJ waving his dick at everyone and Bill waving his at every female, I'm sure it'll survive having a guy making fun of a woman on her period.