Health update...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hey folks;

As of now I am still showing no recurrence of the pancreatic cancer. Last CT and blood work, the end of March, were clear. Both the oncologist and surgeon were happy with my progress during follow ups. A couple of ongoing concerns, bone marrow or liver may have been damaged by chemo, blood counts aren't fully normal yet (chemo ended in December). Tiredness is my sidekick, as is mild depression. Also have hernias along the surgical scarring, but they are well defined and not painful. Intestinal functions are pretty close to pre-surgical norm.

Been back to work part time since the beginning of August, so coming up on 1 year for that. Lowe's has been very good about working with me on a light duty, shortened schedule, doing a little more than the Law constrains them to do in my view. My store management has been especially good.

Have been able to work on unpacking and getting the house in order. Basically losing last year put a big monkey wrench in the plans.

Feel cautiously optimistic that I will have at least several more years in which to enjoy life. Can't really say "Remission" until the 5 year point, but I've already made a huge milestone; 27% survive 1 year past the diagnosis.

Take care, and see the damn doctor if you feel something is off with your body. I did, that's why I'm alive.

Last edited:

calvcopf

Glad you are doing better! Prayers that you will remain cancer free! Now get out there and have some fun (once it cools down, of course)!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
BTW, if any are interested, the following is a video from John Hopkins that explains the Whipple operation very well. I had the modified procedure where I kept all of my stomach, including the pylorus (food valve). I stayed the average 8 days and was not in intensive care, just the regular surgical recovery unit. I tolerated the anesthesia and procedure much better than average, though it did take 6 days until I could eat solid food again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zxvm3MSb8k

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
"Take care, and see the damn doctor if you feel something is off with your body. I did, that's why I'm alive."

Excellent , thanks for giving everyone a kick in azz about going to see Dr....

Lilypad

spr1975wshs...great news!! :yahoo: I think radiation took a bigger toll on me than anything; lots of naps and excusing myself to stretch out and rest. Keeping the faith and surrounding you in white light. :huggy:

stew77

Very good news!! I am glad that you are on the road to "remission"! I too had to wait 5 years...but now it has been 10 so...Keep up the good work! I am so happy for you!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
spr1975wshs...great news!! :yahoo: I think radiation took a bigger toll on me than anything; lots of naps and excusing myself to stretch out and rest. Keeping the faith and surrounding you in white light. :huggy:

I was fortunate, no radiation needed this go round, either before or after surgery. Oncologist does have a plan in place in case of recurrence, said I'm a good candidate for oral chemo instead of IV.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I was fortunate, no radiation needed this go round, either before or after surgery. Oncologist does have a plan in place in case of recurrence, said I'm a good candidate for oral chemo instead of IV.

Very happy for you, spr. Now, you can finish that book I have been waiting for. :smile: :huggy:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Very happy for you, spr. Now, you can finish that book I have been waiting for. :smile: :huggy:

:whistle:

Now that I have both time and energy, the writing room is getting into shape.
I'm also collecting pictures of Teia with which to illustrate it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
This is such great news to hear! I hope you continue to make progress. :huggy:

Roman

20 year survivor here. Radiation was a beast, but I am here , and thankful every day. I am happy to hear that you seem to be doing well. Once the energy returns, the depression will just be a memory. Keep up the good work, and know that everyone here wishes you the very best.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
:clap: Great News!!! You'll need to celebrate!!!

I do, every day, for each breathe and heartbeat are a victory over this beast.
According to the statistics, me and about 149 other people were diagnosed on the same day, me and 40 others are still alive today and at the 5 year point it will be (I hope to be one) only 8 of us.
While I am saddened by the others, I have too much going for me to have any survivor's guilt.

Pancreatic is the 11th most common cancer, but because it shows no symptoms of its own until the later stages and is only found early because something else is wrong, it is now the #3 killer cancer.