Straight Talk Wireless

Forkian

If you are thinking of leaving Verizon for a cheaper alternative then I highly recommend Straight Talk Wireless. You can keep your current phone and phone number. I got unlimited talk, text and unlimited data (5 gigs high speed) for $45 a month. The signal strength and connectivity seems to be just as good as Verizon. The only difference is that I pay a lot less with Straight Talk.

Straight Talk is available at Wal-Mart or if you want you can pay online and they will FedEx you the new Sim card.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of leaving Verizon for a cheaper alternative then I highly recommend Straight Talk Wireless. You can keep your current phone and phone number. I got unlimited talk, text and unlimited data (5 gigs high speed) for $45 a month. The signal strength and connectivity seems to be just as good as Verizon. The only difference is that I pay a lot less with Straight Talk.

Straight Talk is available at Wal-Mart or if you want you can pay online and they will FedEx you the new Sim card.

I've been using Straight Talk for a few years. Perfectly reliable, and one of the reasons is that they use the Verizon backbone for service in this area.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Foxhound Turned hooked a whiteboy up

I migrated my wife from Sprint to Ting however ...
Ting you only pay for what you use, not a flat all you can eat plan, the 1st month was $ 49, the last 2 have been $ 37

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Actually, Foxhound enlightened me too before I retired.

And next time... you might want to watch your words... I'm sure he didn't "turn you on"... :twitch:

fixed .... I reread that before seeing this ...

btw I am sitting in your old chair

Clem72

Straight talk can ride any of the four major carriers networks (Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile), however if running on Verizon they cap the LTE data rate at 5Mbit. Once you hit your highspeed cap you are throttled to 64Kbit.

Cricket is owned by ATT and rides their network exclusively. Their 5 gig plan with unlimited talk/text is also $45/mo and is capped at 8Mbit. Once you hit your highspeed cap on Cricket you are throttled to 128Kbit.

From personal experience, the 128Kbit on Cricket is perfectly usable for music streaming, e-mails, and web browsing (which is why I actually use the 2.5 Gig plan and save some money). The 64Kbit on Straight Talk may be usable on Verizons network (I never checked that one), but it is almost completely worthless on Sprint, ATT, or T-Mobile.

To each their own, but Cricket works better for me as a medium data user.

Clem72

GWguy said:
I've been using Straight Talk for a few years. Perfectly reliable, and one of the reasons is that they use the Verizon backbone for service in this area.
Ugh!!! That won't work for me then.

They aren't bound geographically. If you buy a CDMA phone / SIM (technically CSIM) you will get Verizon. If you buy a GMS phone and Straight Talk GSM SIM, you will get one of the other networks.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Straight talk can ride any of the four major carriers networks (Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile), however if running on Verizon they cap the LTE data rate at 5Mbit. Once you hit your highspeed cap you are throttled to 64Kbit.

Cricket is owned by ATT and rides their network exclusively. Their 5 gig plan with unlimited talk/text is also $45/mo and is capped at 8Mbit. Once you hit your highspeed cap on Cricket you are throttled to 128Kbit.

From personal experience, the 128Kbit on Cricket is perfectly usable for music streaming, e-mails, and web browsing (which is why I actually use the 2.5 Gig plan and save some money). The 64Kbit on Straight Talk may be usable on Verizons network (I never checked that one), but it is almost completely worthless on Sprint, ATT, or T-Mobile.

To each their own, but Cricket works better for me as a medium data user.

I've had Cricket Wireless and it was very good. Using AT&T prepaid now because, the fact that they don't charge $10/month for mobile hotspot, it actually evens out to be a better deal.

Straight Talk doesn't allow mobile hotspot at all so it's a no go for me. Not now, not ever.

I've had Cricket Wireless and it was very good. Using AT&T prepaid now because, the fact that they don't charge $10/month for mobile hotspot, it actually evens out to be a better deal.

Straight Talk doesn't allow mobile hotspot at all so it's a no go for me. Not now, not ever.
They do, but it's a separate product, not using your phone. Cost is cheap, like $10/m.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We both use our One Plus One cellphones as hotspots with Straight Talk all the time.

Popster

FWIW I just left ST after a number of years to go with Verizon. I had the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim sc720 using verizon towers. I got the verizon prepaid plan with automatic monthly payments which gave me 3 gigs/month. I got a iPhone SE for 299, but they gave me $100 for switching, so it cost me 199 plus taxes, etc.

The difference between the Iphone with Verion towers and the Samsung is amazing. I am extremely happy with the switch. My daughter has an iPhone 5s with ST that uses ATT and it is practically worthless down here.

sockgirl77

They do, but it's a separate product, not using your phone. Cost is cheap, like $10/m.

:yeahthat:, except that they now have a 10GB plan. It's $55 per month. My son has had a phone through Straight Talk for nearly 2 years now. He has better signal than my VzW plan does half of the time. I know that it does way better on base than mine does.

Clem72

Psst. Come close and I will tell you a secret. If your phone supports native hot-spot capabilities (like my N5), you don't need to pay extra for the service on Cricket (and many other carriers).