Yo Momma's

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Has anyone gone to their "new" location just outside CRE by the Post Office? The last few restaurants (Jake and Al's and Patuxent Grill) have not gone so well. Not sure if it's the location or the restaurants themselves. From what I've seen online, the Yo Momma's up in PF does a pretty good business and people seem to like the food. Would like to find a nice place close to home. TIA.

MR47930

I don't think its open just yet. I saw a truck delivering food a week or so ago. The one in PF has really good wings and a nice beer selection, never had any of their other offerings.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I don't think its open just yet. I saw a truck delivering food a week or so ago. The one in PF has really good wings and a nice beer selection, never had any of their other offerings.

Ok. That would explain why there's no mention on their website of the Lusby location. Thanks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jake and Al's was a terrific restaurant with wonderful food...and a terrible waitstaff problem. If you sat at the bar, your meal would be prompt, hot, and delicious. If you sat at a table it would be cold and congealed, and you'd wait endlessly for drink refills. There were a couple of service exceptions, but the norm was that the floor waitstaff were incompetent.

Patuxent Bar & Grill - the first time we went, Monello and I were like, wow! So we recommended it as a Friday night Heathen location...and pfft. Not terrible, but definitely underwhelming. The third time was just annoying and we never went back.

J&A's problem was staff; PBG's problem was everything.

It's a great location and any restaurant should do well in that spot, but they have to get their staffing under control, train them and manage them. I'm not yet willing to say that it's just a kiss of death location, like the place across from Tiki Bar and the old Perkins in Leonardtown.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Jake and Al's was a terrific restaurant with wonderful food...and a terrible waitstaff problem. If you sat at the bar, your meal would be prompt, hot, and delicious. If you sat at a table it would be cold and congealed, and you'd wait endlessly for drink refills. There were a couple of service exceptions, but the norm was that the floor waitstaff were incompetent.

Patuxent Bar & Grill - the first time we went, Monello and I were like, wow! So we recommended it as a Friday night Heathen location...and pfft. Not terrible, but definitely underwhelming. The third time was just annoying and we never went back.

J&A's problem was staff; PBG's problem was everything.

It's a great location and any restaurant should do well in that spot, but they have to get their staffing under control, train them and manage them. I'm not yet willing to say that it's just a kiss of death location, like the place across from Tiki Bar and the old Perkins in Leonardtown.

We never went to J&A's because the rumor going around was that it was a place to pick up hookers. :lol: From what you are saying, the rumors were wrong. :ohwell: The only place my husband will actually go to eat is Salsa's so I was hoping to find something close by that might interest him. I saw that Yo Momma's had reubens and I know he loves them.

MR47930

Hopefully this does good in that location. They serve bar food and don't try to transform it into some yuppity dish. I felt like J&A was trying to be a steakhouse when they should have been catering to the burger and beer crowd.

Grumpy

I felt like J&A was trying to be a steakhouse when they should have been catering to the burger and beer crowd.

J&A's would've been fine if the service was up to snuff. Food can be average but if the service is good, people come back. Food could be outstanding but if served cold or haphazardly, due to lousy service, a lot of people won't give the place a 2nd chance.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I had one of the best steaks ever when J&A's opened up. EVER! After that it went rapidly down hill.

Since YoMomma's is an established business, the Lusby location may become a destination and attract people that live in other parts of Calvert and St Mary's county. Unfortunately, you cannot rely solely on the "locals" to keep it going. Good wait staff and consistent food quality will definitely help them be successful. I am willing to give it a try once they get open and settled in.

The soul food kitchen up the strip from J&A's is SERIOUSLY good. http://mornics.comcastbiz.net/ We discovered it just before we left town, so only ate there a couple times but everything was super delicious.

I wasn't overwhelmed by them. I tried it because you said they had good fried chicken. I found it to me a bit on the dry side, not particularly flavorful, and the coating was a bit flour-y.

Roman

I wasn't overwhelmed by them. I tried it because you said they had good fried chicken. I found it to me a bit on the dry side, not particularly flavorful, and the coating was a bit flour-y.
Their mac & cheese is to die for! They have green beans that are outstanding, and kale. Flavored to perfection. I've never had their chicken, but have had the fish. It was a little dry, but had a good flavor.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We've been Yo' Momma's in PF once or twice. We weren't really impressed that much with them. Like Mr47930 said -it's just Bar food and nothing fancy. I don't think any of it is made from fresh on-site, pretty sure most, if not all, is frozen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Really?? I'm surprised you didn't enjoy it. Oh well. :shrug: